Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Paraguns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony Appleyard

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See

http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk/3d/3dthumbw_guns.htm

for some gun models that I have made (= most of them), or worked on and uploaded with permission from their original authors.
ZEN

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Appleyard wrote:
See

http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk/3d/3dthumbw_guns.htm

for some gun models that I have made (= most of them), or worked on and uploaded with permission from their original authors.

Could ya do us a favour please, and change the term "ray gun" on it's listing. It was anything but

So how long having you been doing CGI images

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 361
Anthony Appleyard

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEN wrote:

Could ya do us a favour please, and change the term "ray gun" on it's listing. It was anything but

How do paraguns work, then (as effective weapons in their fictional world, not as real film props)? If they are explosive-powered using cartridges, I see nowhere where its magazine could be; one-shot pistols that must be reloaded by hand after each shot became obsolete long ago. Whether or not the firing method of paraguns is crudely simulated in the real world as film props by putting a smoke cartridge in it.

ZEN wrote:
So how long having you been doing CGI images

For many years.
KevinD

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't totally clear how these weapons work. It is established that the gun has a removeable cylinder (inserted in the main body, from the rear) which it needs to work. They do not fire bullets as such (or at least rely on electronics to do so), as they are not used in 'Sand', where a planetary effect prevents more advanced weapons from working. When they fire, we see a muzzle flash and some smoke, no beam at all. The target experiences some kind of force on impact, even a weakened version of the gun, fired by Blake, knocks a cup over.
Anthony Appleyard

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinD wrote:
It isn't totally clear how these weapons work. It is established that the gun has a removeable cylinder (inserted in the main body, from the rear) which it needs to work.

Is there any evidence how many times the paragun can fire on one recharge cylinder? Are there any images that show the recharge cylinder and the hole that it fits into?

KevinD wrote:
They do not fire bullets as such (or at least rely on electronics to do so), as they are not used in 'Sand', where a planetary effect prevents more advanced weapons from working. When they fire, we see a muzzle flash and some smoke, no beam at all. The target experiences some kind of force on impact, even a weakened version of the gun, fired by Blake, knocks a cup over.

If the beam does not make air glow as it passes, it would lose less energy and it would not be seen from off-axis: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed-energy_weapon#Blooming. Perhaps the film makers wanted to save themselves the job of inserting raygun beams into film frames: this job caused much postprocessing work in making the Star Wars movie.
ZEN

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Appleyard wrote:

Is there any evidence how many times the paragun can fire on one recharge cylinder?
No! Apparently, it was possible to reduce the "energy bolt discharge", depending on the weapon issued!

Quote:
Are there any images that show the recharge cylinder and the hole that it fits into?
Not a clear picture, but the silver item on the finger of Clegg - The trooper, was pulled from the rear of the blaster. Avon refered to it as a "magazine". This 'magazine' can also be found in the Horizon Tech manual

Given the year of the series, the Fed Trooper blaster shots were very impressive! Whilst their effect may lack the effect of say, the "Logan's Run"
Sandman Blaster, they where, and still are in my opinion , very impressive.

Do your CGI images rotate, or are they static?

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 361
Anthony Appleyard

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEN wrote:
... Do your CGI images rotate, or are they static?

In Poser, and in other CGI packages, objects are described in 3 dimensions can be rotated and moved about and scaled: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file.

In the image above, the silvery object seems to have on it a ring that Clegg's left index finger goes through, and nothing is missing from the back end of the paragun. In image fedgunrear.jpg above, the back end of the paragun looks like it might be removable, but it is brown and has no pull ring on it.

Are the above paragun images made from a film-prop paragun, or from a later copy?

Perhaps the back end of the gun is a lid and the silver object is put inside and the lid is put back on :: that looks like too much risk of the lid being lost in reloading in battlefield conditions. (With real pump-actiom shotguns, how often does the magazine back-end lid get lost?)

ZEN wrote:
Anthony Appleyard wrote:

Is there any evidence how many times the paragun can fire on one recharge cylinder?
No! Apparently, it was possible to reduce the "energy bolt discharge", depending on the weapon issued!

How many times in the series is the same paragun fired consecutively and it is clearly not reloaded between?

The left side of the paragun (image fedgunleft5.jpg above) seems to have a control (button? turnable knob?).

Last edited by Anthony Appleyard on Sun May 29, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
KevinD

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring on the 'magazine' is present on that prop used in that episode, it was put there because the script demanded it (presumably), it is was not present on most of the props used. The photos of my gun are photos of my replica, not of an original screen-used prop.

The detail on the side of the gun is copied from the original, but I doubt that it did anything on the original prop either. I suspect that the round bell-push switch on the side of the handle was the one working control and that it activated the charge that went off when the gun was fired.

We see guns fired several times and we never see them being reloaded (I think).
Anthony Appleyard

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinD wrote:
The ring on the 'magazine' is present on that prop used in that episode, ... it is was not present on most of the props used.

Could it be that the silvery cylinder is a casing with the charge magazine inside, to protect electric contacts on the magazine? The operator pulls the pull-ring to pull the end off the casing, pulls the cartridge out of the casing, drops the casing, takes the back end off the paragun (juggling 3 objects in 2 hands), tips any old used magazine out, puts the new magazine in, and puts the end cap back on.

KevinD wrote:
... I doubt that it did anything on the original prop either. I suspect that the round bell-push switch on the side of the handle was the one working control and that it activated the charge that went off when the gun was fired.

Likeliest the trigger on the front of the handle fired the shot. In the prop the side control may have done nothing (or the side control fired the smoke cartridge and the trigger was dummy); but in the fictional world of the story the side control may have been a turn knob that set firing power, and/or a safety catch.

KevinD wrote:
We see guns fired several times and we never see them being reloaded (I think).

If the gun can fire several shots on a magazine that size, then it would not have fired real-world-gun-sized bullets or shot; and the barrel is larger calibre than the magazine. That seems to point to a ray or a particle beam.
Anthony Appleyard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Appleyard wrote:
ZEN wrote:
As promised; Thanks to Kevin for these, hope you find them of use

Thanks for the paragun images. I have just used them to make a CGI .OBJ file model of a paragun. But again, please, how long is the paragun in inches or centimeters (ignoring the sliding stock)?

I came across 2 images where people used my paragun model as a videocamera! :: likely to them the bit sticking out forwards above the muzzle looked like a microphone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: