Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Question about DVD releases
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leonie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Question about DVD releases Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been discussed before (and I'm sure it has), but I have a question about the DVD releases, and couldn't find an answer.
Could somebody here explain to me the differences between the various DVD editions, or point me to a site/forum thread/etc that covers this topic? I've read many times before that there are different versions, and I was wondering what exactly is the difference? The specials, or even certain scenes of the episodes?

Since it's sheer impossible to buy a Blake's 7 DVD box in Germany (the series is completely unknown here, please don't ask why, I've no idea), I bought my DVDs from Amazon.uk and ebay. It's the BBC Complete Series (insert number here), region 2 edition. I know it's also a Complete 4 Season Collection box (region free) out there, and even the single season box sets seem to have certain variations, right?

I hope I explained my question properly and would appreciate an answer. Thanks.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I thought the episodes on the DVDs were all the same? There are some different boxes, with or without the Liberator toy or whatever, but I didn't think there were any differences in the actual episode content...?

There were some problems with the early box sets of the first series not playing properly on some DVD players.... and the previous videotape releases had some scenes edited out... but the DVDs are all the same now... as far as I know... which isn't very far.... (ramble)....
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie is right,

I know there are no cuts to episodes on DVD, the old videos had problems with slight edits such as Avon's ear boxing scene in Space Fall.

I think you're safe whatever DVD of B7 you buy, you'll get all special features etc etc because the series has only been released on DVD once. There are only the four individual series boxsets & the complete collection, all containing the same content.

Regarding the early copies of series 1 that people had problems with, since there was no recall I have no idea how you avoid getting one of those if you are buying second hand.
Leonie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers!

Futsie wrote:
There were some problems with the early box sets of the first series not playing properly on some DVD players.... and the previous videotape releases had some scenes edited out... but the DVDs are all the same now... as far as I know... which isn't very far.... (ramble)....

Yes, I think that was what I meant. I wasn't sure whether it was a technical problem or something with the content (copyright issues, etc, you never know nowadays...) I guess I just mixed things up. Glad to hear that there are no differences; I started worrying I could have missed something

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:

Regarding the early copies of series 1 that people had problems with, since there was no recall I have no idea how you avoid getting one of those if you are buying second hand.

I suppose that could be a problem, but I bought all my copies from Amazon.uk (through an German ebay shop, since I have no credit card), and they are working with my player.
John Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are lucky. I live in the U.S. and I'm STILL waiting for the Region 1 box sets to be released. Lots of BBC shows are available here, old and new shows, but NOT Blakes 7. The show's 30th anniversary is only a couple of years away. It would be nice if some effort was made. Does anybody know what the reason behind the delay is?
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they don't think it will do very well in the States
John Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you look at alot of the British shows available on DVD, you wonder which ones sell and which ones don't. Then again, maybe you're right. For instance, look at Robin of Sherwood. It's on Region 1, but you can only order it online through the U.K. distributor Network DVD. I don't believe it has a U.S. distributor. I guess fans here will just have to invest in a multi-region dvd player and buy the Region 2 discs.
calculatedguess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:
I think you're safe whatever DVD of B7 you buy, you'll get all special features etc etc because the series has only been released on DVD once. There are only the four individual series boxsets & the complete collection, all containing the same content.

Brilliant, thanks Liberator. I was thinking of getting the complete box set from Amazon (90.99 at the moment) but as there are no reviews of it on Amazon's page, I was wondering whether it contained all the out-takes & extras.

Now I can go ahead and order
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I'm still looking for a cheap series 2, under 25 is hard to find!!
pna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon new and used have a used copy at 25 and a new copy at 28.44. Get there quick.
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with postage they will be over 30, & I just can't bring myself to pay that much
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with postage they will be over 30, & I just can't bring myself to pay that much
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:
Futsie is right,

I know there are no cuts to episodes on DVD, the old videos had problems with slight edits such as Avon's ear boxing scene in Space Fall.

I'm a bit disappointed to learn that my set of (the first) videos have cuts from the programmes as transmitted. I measured Space Fall on the DVD at 9 seconds longer than on the video. This must be due to the edited scene.

Does anybody know if the second (the 'Fabulous') set of UK videos still had the same cuts or if they are any more complete? Thanks. I've got one Fabulous one (The Keeper/Star One) and I think I'll compare it to the earlier one, just to see [P.S. measuring just the action 'The Keeper' is 49m24s on both video versions and 'Star One' 46m27s, so these two at least are exactly the same]
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have the "Fabulous" videos & they are unedited, Avon smacks them ears but good
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's that (roughly) ? I want to watch it, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: