Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The Walking Dead
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: The Walking Dead Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you guys can get this over where you are but The Walking Dead is a cable tv series loosely based on, but not as good as, the comic book/graphic novel of the same name. It follows a deputy sheriff who awakes from a coma to find the world overrun by zombies. Although it's more soap opera than horror,I wouldn't recommend it if you're squeamish. Good, but not as scary as 28 Days Later or funny as Shaun Of The Dead.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thunda, my fellow Jarvikian.

Some friends lent us the DVD of the first series because they know we're big fans of the Zombie genre. We really enjoyed it. It did get a little 'soapy' in some episodes but overall, great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the second season.

A British actor plays the lead role and he's very good in it.
meegat39

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we saw this and thought the first season was very entertaining. However, I have to say we turned off mid way through season 2. The "soapiness" gets ridiculous. A girl goes missing in the forest, with zombies likely to get her at any minute and instead of looking for her they sit around and talk about their feelings. However, someone has recently told us that it improves again, so may give it another chance at some point.
Moggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season Two finished last week here, and yes, Meegat, the soapiness was rinsed away by the blood from a nice high body count. I won't go into detail (cos spoilers is bad) but I was pleased with the last few episodes, and looking forward to a new direction for Season Three.
ZEN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've seen the first series, if you could call it that! and all of the 2nd series, which only ended last week here in the UK. I enjoyed the 2nd series more than the first to be honest. it was darker and more gruesome in parts, though it did tend to linger more on people's feelings a little too often! At one point I was thinking - where have all the zombies gone! gimmie a zombie! its supppose to be about Zombies!! Later in the series we thankfully get to see loads more of them Yes Smiley

Like Afro I'm a big fan of the Zombie genre, which started year's ago with my first watching of the B&W "Night of the living dead" and most of my DVD collection consists of Zombie movies

I've recently started playing "The Walking Dead " Game on the PS3, which is obviously based more on Robert Kirkman's original comic books than the series. Its more of a RPG than the usual Zombie blasting games, there are decisions to be made all the time! Who do you save if two of the group are being attacked by Zombies!! - your choice, but it doesn't give you long to consider which

http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/

Oh, I can also be found on the PSNetwork online, blasting Nazi Zombies in Call or Duty - World at war

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 102
meegat39

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after two such strong and respectable endorsements, may have to pick it up where we left off!
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meegat39 wrote:
Yes we saw this and thought the first season was very entertaining. However, I have to say we turned off mid way through season 2. The "soapiness" gets ridiculous. A girl goes missing in the forest, with zombies likely to get her at any minute and instead of looking for her they sit around and talk about their feelings. However, someone has recently told us that it improves again, so may give it another chance at some point.

ZEN wrote:
Yep, I've seen the first series, if you could call it that! and all of the 2nd series, which only ended last week here in the UK. I enjoyed the 2nd series more than the first to be honest. it was darker and more gruesome in parts, though it did tend to linger more on people's feelings a little too often! At one point I was thinking - where have all the zombies gone! gimmie a zombie! its supppose to be about Zombies!! Later in the series we thankfully get to see loads more of them Yes Smiley

Yeah, from what I read, the production team increased the amount of season episodes from 6 to 13 but also cut the budget from $3.4 million to $2.7 million. The result was more indoor scenes for season 2 and less outdoor scenes and special effects.

white afro in space wrote:
Hi Thunda, my fellow Jarvikian.

Some friends lent us the DVD of the first series because they know we're big fans of the Zombie genre. We really enjoyed it. It did get a little 'soapy' in some episodes but overall, great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the second season.

A British actor plays the lead role and he's very good in it.

Without giving any spoilers, it picks up near the end of season 2 so that even Jarvik would have been hard pressed in the season finale.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished watching Season 2, which I enjoyed very much. I thought it was vastly superior to the first season, which itself was very good.
I thought the developments in the story arc were appropriate and nicely placed. The soapiness is a factor, but not so much that it put me off the show in any way, I found I just went with it and accepted it as part of the show. Mind you, the makers could have watched 'Star One' to see how an end of season cliffhanger could be made.
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that I got really bored with this series, only watched two or three episodes of season 2 and then gave up on it. I don't know why but I found it so slow and predictable. Hey ho - I suppose you can't please everybody all of the time.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
meegat39

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARPBLUE wrote:
I'm sorry to say that I got really bored with this series, only watched two or three episodes of season 2 and then gave up on it. I don't know why but I found it so slow and predictable. Hey ho - I suppose you can't please everybody all of the time.

Yes we have watched three episodes of season 2, but I am struggling to stay interested. Way too much focus on feelings etc!
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 3 goes in a slightly different direction, in addition to human vs. zombie we have human vs. human. Some interesting new characters are also added.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished season 3 and loved it! They cut out the soap and increased the action giving it a more "comic book" feel. They also improved the writing and did away with "thoughtful" endings and switched to cliffhangers. Can't wait for season 4!
white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

I've just started watching season 3, after having very recently re-watched S1 and 2 as a kind of catch-up. I'm very excited!

I thought the season 2 eps were 'cliffhanger-ey' enough. I always let out a gasp of exasperation when an episode finished. Thanks to dvd tho, I just watch the next ep straight away!

Watching S1 and S2 again, I'm still amazed by the performance of the lead character. I think it was a very brave decision casting him, when the role could have easily, and perhaps more rightfully, gone to an american. I haven't noticed his accent slip at all, and I think he's very different to what we'd expect from an american lead actor. I want to ask others, thunda in particular, what they thought of him.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
I've just started watching season 3, after having very recently re-watched S1 and 2 as a kind of catch-up. I'm very excited!

I thought the season 2 eps were 'cliffhanger-ey' enough. I always let out a gasp of exasperation when an episode finished. Thanks to dvd tho, I just watch the next ep straight away!

Watching S1 and S2 again, I'm still amazed by the performance of the lead character. I think it was a very brave decision casting him, when the role could have easily, and perhaps more rightfully, gone to an american. I haven't noticed his accent slip at all, and I think he's very different to what we'd expect from an american lead actor. I want to ask others, thunda in particular, what they thought of him.

I think Andrew Lincoln is doing a fine job and am very impressed with him, even so much to say that he carried his co-stars for the first two seasons with their lack of emotion and blank expressions. Season three he gets some help as the rest of the cast step up and some better actors are added. When it comes to comics I believe Americans care about the performance rather than the actor's birth place, i.e. Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Christian Bale. I notice he's the only one to attempt a slight southern accent (Georgia is a Southern State) while everyone else is speaking with northern accents. Also, he looks and sounds completely different when he's doing an interview.

For those of you that like behind the scene stuff and speculation I suggest watching Talking Dead where actors/actresses, writers, directors, special effects people, etc., from this and other shows discuss the current episode.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, thunda! Good to get the view of a 'local'. I can't help mention, however, that Rick and crew really need to get Jarvik on board. He'll keep the moral compass of the family set on the right course.

I've finished season 3 now, and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for S4, maybe S5!

I think the overly emotional 'Oprah-moments' have been thankfully left back in Season 2, and I like the Survivors-esque inclusion of human obstacles. I thought the Guv'nor was a little cartoonish to be honest. I kept thinking of him as Brian Croucher screeching out to his 'Cwimmoze!'. It was too easy to imagine hearing him say 'Blake' rather than 'Rick'.

I think the gore-factor has been raised too. I'm not queasy by any stretch, but I can't help but feel that there's a weird, even nasty, sociological reason why the zombie genre seems to be more popular than ever. The human look of the zombies and the extreme gore in their 'dispatch' is a little disconcerting if I try to think objectively about it. It might be a bit too long of a crossbow stretch (I'm sure Daryl's got the arms for it), but I think the zombies subconsciously represent the thousands of people we don't know and pass every day of the week. The guy who gets the parking space we were after, those bludgers on welfare raising my tax dollars, those idiots at the bank who take forever with their mundane tasks and want to chat to the teller while there's a great big queue lined up waiting, and so on, all making me so mad that a massive sword would be quite handy if it weren't for that whole 'law' and 'civil responsibility' thing getting in the way all the time.

Great show!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: