Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

So, Cally's a clone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: So, Cally's a clone? Reply with quote

I must have watched Children of Auron a hundred times but I've always glossed over the part about her conception until recently. If I interpreted what was said correctly about the "Synthesised placenta unit, each capable of gestating a batch of identical siblings and"There are plenty more like her on Auron, apparently," Cally was part of a batch of cliones. Strange that this was never touched on again.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I've seen it a few times and that passed me by too.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame we never hear anything more from the Aurons who got away from Auron.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So, Cally's a clone? Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I must have watched Children of Auron a hundred times but I've always glossed over the part about her conception until recently. If I interpreted what was said correctly about the "Synthesised placenta unit, each capable of gestating a batch of identical siblings and"There are plenty more like her on Auron, apparently," Cally was part of a batch of cliones. Strange that this was never touched on again.

Hmm, I was thinking about this the other day when Zen posted a quiz question asking which B7 characters are clones (Zelda, Clonemaster Fen and the Blake clone)...

I was going to post an answer that Cally herself is also a clone, but then I remembered in "The Harvest of Kairos" she says she thinks the Sopron is her mother and her father

So is that just a bit of a plot oversight, or was Cally the original that all the others were clones of and so she did indeed have a mother and father? Or was she a clone like the Blade Runner replicants implanted with memories of parents and childhood to make them emotionally more stable?

RichardWho wrote:
It's a shame we never hear anything more from the Aurons who got away from Auron.

Yes, I think they could have had some interesting character stuff about Cally that maybe they didn't have time for in the Auron episode. If any of the script writers had read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" then we could have had a Cally episode all about the nature of identity a year or two before Blade Runner came out

Or perhaps a Battlestar Galactica type idea where the clones start having individual differences and disagreements. But I suppose one of the problems with that in B7 was that they didn't really have the technology to have identical duplicate people on screen at the same time very convincingly...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Parent of clone = ? Reply with quote

So if Cally is a clone, who were these parents she saw when she looked at the Sopron rock? Wouldn't she have just one "parent?" Wouldn't this "parent" look identical to her?
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Parent of clone = ? Reply with quote

Doodlebug wrote:
So if Cally is a clone, who were these parents she saw when she looked at the Sopron rock? Wouldn't she have just one "parent?" Wouldn't this "parent" look identical to her?

We don’t know what Auron policy is when it comes to clones. We don’t know if they take samples from living people or from deceased (to carry on the line). As for raising, I would assume having more than one parent would be efficient and it might be more productive to have a clone raised by someone other than the original so as not to have your society become stagnant with the same ideas, like Clonemaster Fen.

I might be wrong, it was an assumption on my part, however, let me re-state my evidence.

VILA Zelda?
DAYNA Her identical sibling.
VILA Eh?
DAYNA There are plenty more like her on Auron, apparently.

Dayna appears to have information about Cally that none of the other crew members (or us) have but Cally doesn’t dispute it so I’m assuming it may have been discussed in a private “girl to girl” talk.

ZELDA The Liberator must be our best hope.
CA-1: Look, we already have distress calls out on constant transmission. Just obey orders! FRANTON With respect, sir. You and Cally are from the same sibling group, aren't you? ZELDA Yes, Cally's my twin.
FRANTON Identical brain scan.
ZELDA Optimum telepathic affinity.

I realize they’re from another planet and their wording might be different but I don’t get the feeling that they consider Cally and Zelda sisters in the traditional family sense. Also, I don’t think regular twins would have an identical brain scan.

Orac: Reproduction by Clinician Franton's method of group cloning has resulted in highly developed psychic faculties, telepathy being the most obvious example. These faculties are, of course, limited to the young since cloning was developed relatively recently.

This is the tricky part. We know Franton had a daughter the old fashioned way so most likely his technique was developed after she was conceived but we don’t know what Orac considers “young” and “recently.” We also don’t know if Franton had some way of speeding up the cloning process to hurry past childhood and get straight to adulthood, similar to what the Clonemasters did with Blake ll. In other words we don’t know when Cally and Zenda were born. And CA-1 (their Commander) does refer to her as “that young rebel.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: