Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Interstellar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
white afro in space

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Interstellar Reply with quote

I've recently had the very good fortune to see this movie on the big screen, highly recommended.

Keep in mind, it's not just a big screen experience, but it's also a 'big sound' experience. Parts of the film are jawdroppingly loud, like nothing I've ever heard in a cinema before. The loudness really helps to make the film experience totally immersive. It puts you right there. You feel it!

The film nudges right up to three hours in length and uses it to the full. Personally, I didn't notice the length, I though it was a run-of-the-mill length, maybe 110 minutes. The story has plenty of twists and jaunts and makes use of the time well. I felt I could keep watching.

It certainly isn't 'kid-sie' Sci-Fi, it feels more 'adult'. The reasons for the journey are made clear and convincingly so. The environmental problems on Earth are handled really well - they feel very natural and believable rather than like some disaster movie. When the film goes into orbit, the wormhole and black hole stuff are handled well. The visuals are stunning.

As far as comparisons go, in terms of story and big screen Sci-Fi experience, I'd go for somewhere between Contact and 2001. There's a noticeable lack of romanticised 'schmaltz', and I daresay that such a lack is uncommon in a Hollywood epic. There's little of that strained pleading in the style of 'No matter how long, no matter how far. I will find you!', type stuff. Admittedly there is one big speech like that, but it's not the peak of the film and you breathe a sigh of relief that it doesn't really happen again. It's a momentary aberration.

If you know a good cinema that is showing it, go and see it. This one won't translate to dvd (or blu-ray) that well, in my opinion, purely because of the sound (obviously, the screen size, but the sound really is amazing at that volume).
AnnaGrant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Interstellar and liked it very much too.

I saw it in digital IMAX on a huge screen. The sound quality was great too- you could feel it through your seat at times. I know there has been criticism of mumbled words, which I noticed at times, but this was intentional, apparently to shroud certain phrases in mystery- Michael Caine's sick bed speech for one.

Won't be the same on the small screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: