Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A1:The Way Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davecabs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched The Way Back again last night on DVD and really enjoyed it. I felt that there was a real Prisoner thing going on there. The way the society are enclosed in the dome and the majority of the population have no idea what is going on. Blake is so shocked when he witnesses the massacre and you see the reality dawning on him when he realises he has not been arrested for attending a proscribed political meeting but that charges have been trumped up regarding him. "You're involving children!"

The development of Blake's character in such a short period of time is well done. We start to see what Blake is to become when he shouts "You've done a brilliant job" (realising he has been framed). No Avon in this episode alas but a touch of humour comes in when we see Vila and Jenna, particularly when Vila is picking Blake's pocket.

The tension is palpable (even though we know what the outcome will be) when Blake is waiting for his reprieve and the denouement "I'm coming back!" makes a great end to the episode. Probably quite a boring episode for kids but when you look at the multi-layered structure of the episode it makes for an entertaining and revealing opening episode.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved this episode just because of how good you've pointed out it is.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when this episode was first shown. It looked as though Blake might get a reprieve then we see that his lawyer and his wife havd been killed by Tarrant.
Simon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that considering its the first episode to the series and considering that most of the regular characters don't appear, this episode is extremely good.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
I remember when this episode was first shown. It looked as though Blake might get a reprieve then we see that his lawyer and his wife havd been killed by Tarrant.

On first viewing this episode the tension is wonderful as you wait to see what happens to Blake and whether his lawyer can help him. It is so unexpected when his lawyer and wife have obviously been murdered and again this adds to the whole feeling that most people within the dome don't realise what is happening around them.

It sets up the wonderful paranoid fantasy of a police state gone mad that helps to make the show so good.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't start watching B7 until well into the first season,so I didn't see this episode until they started showing repeats.It's a good thing,too,because being used to American scifi this episode wouldn't have gotten me to continue watching the series.Don't get me wrong,it's a good beginning,but I was used to space battles,explosions,fist fights,lasers,exotic aliens,the handsome hero,etc,in my scifi.Having said that,this was a pretty solid episode.The characters seem a bit cliched,but the actors seem to make their roles believable.This episode showed me why Blake hates the Federation so much,framed for child molestation,man,that was more shocking than the masacre.That wasn't something that was mentioned in American tv back then.The special effects looked decent enough and the costumes appeared futuristic.The story itself was simple enough,but the end did have a slight twist.In American stories,the hero gets a victory at the end,even if it is a small one.They probably would have had Maja escape to imply that the struggle will continue or Tarrant would have been killed.The only thing struck me as odd was having Jenna confined with men,but I guess in the future things will be different.All in all,a good episode.
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I found odd was that Jenna was the only female prisoner.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson
Quote:

Never, really thought about that until you mentioned it "Steve" - perhaps, just happened to be the case that was the only female on this transportation. As, obviously, females had been transported to Cygnus Alpha, before, otherwise the colony would have not been still around, when and, the other's were sent there.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:

Actually,when they're in detention there's a woman who's screaming while the guards are dragging her somewhere,so I assumed the other women were kept seperate.Once I saw Jenna with the men I thought that maybe prisoners were seperated according to the severity of their crime instead of by sex.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Varon is investigating the records of the children that have accused Blake of abuse, he seems to suggest that the attacks were alleged to have taken place close to the time that they were all absent from school.

However, by this time Blake had already been arrested as it wasn't until he was locked up that Morag and Van Glynd came up with the idea.

Is Blake locked up for longer than it appears in the episode? Is he kept 'on ice' until the plan is ready to go ahead?

Or perhaps the children in question had already been programmed with the idea that they had been abused. When the need arose, the delusion would incorporate whoever the Federation wanted it to. A photo of the accused man and a key word might be enough to trigger it off.

Maybe the day that the children are off school is actually some time ago, but this is when they were being programmed as 'sleeper agents' for the Federation. Considering the control that the State must wield over the education system, there could be hundreds of such pre-programmed children. They are a hidden weapon, one that can be used to discredit anyone that encourages disent. Although Animals and Hostage suggest the age of consent is much lower in the Blake universe (probably about 13 if the Inga-Blake, Justin-Dayna relationships are anything to go by)
the sexual abuse of a child would still be a devestating accusation and certain to destroy the reputation of any public figure.

Although Morag and Havant both act as though the scheme is a new one, one or both of them could be lying to cover up a past involvement in the programming scheme.

Although the Blake is a particullar problem for the Federation, the scheme that entraps him is probably one that is well used. Maybe this is the root of Van Glynd's defection?
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The children did not attend school the day before the alleged incident,most likely at the clinic getting memory implants.I don't think they came up with the abuse plan until after the massacre and they realize there's a slim chance Blake might get his memory back.It appears they had Blake held for some time after the massacre,trying to break him with the psychiatrist,although I'm not sure on what charge.This is an excerpt after they've been spying on Blake:

MORAG: What we need is something to discredit him. If he could be deported to Cygnus Alpha .... Doctor, am I right in thinking you can create experiences, implant them into a subject, who will then believe that they really happened?

HAVANT: Of course. In fact, creating an illusion of reality is quite simple.

MORAG: Good. Then I think we can totally destroy Blake's credibility and get him sentenced. But I'd like to do a feasibility check. Doctor, would you come with me please.

HAVANT: As you wish.

GLYND: I want to bring charges soon, Morag.

Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still seems to strange that the children were programmed to accuse Blake of an attack that was supposed to take place at the same time that he was locked up. Surely there was a danger of someone spotting this discrepancy?
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunda's on the button here. The children were at the medical clinic the day they were absent from school, which was after Morag had hatched her evil scheme in response to Blake's capture.

With regard to the discrepency observed by Cockroach Boy, I'd imagine the supposed 'memories' that were planted in the children were backdated to a time when Blake was not locked up. After all, it is a 'memory' implant and not a 'present experience' implant.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day the children say the incident took place is actually the day after they were at the clinic,and I believe Blake was incarcerated at the time.This raises all sorts of questions but I think since the children passed a lie detector test and there were witnesses,no one bothered to check on the details(which sometimes happens in the real world).Also keep in mind that Blake had no chance to speak at his trial and even his own lawyer believed he was guilty.Some key lines.

VARON: Well that's interesting. He was absent from school on the afternoon before the assault

VARON: I've spoken to the children. Their statements were all verified by lie detector. And that puts them beyond dispute.

MAJA: Well, what else could you do? You interviewed all the victims, the witnesses. None of them had any doubts.

VARON: Perhaps they should have.

Blake summed it up best.

BLAKE: I've got to hand it to them. You've done a brilliant job!!
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to hand it to you thunda, You've done a brilliant job!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: