Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Thunda's B7 License To Kill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was excellent work on Judith's site, boroboy, and as you probably guessed, your Who shot Who and Body Counts essays was where I stole..ahem, I mean borrowed the idea for my thread . I admired it for years and tried to follow that standard but with a slightly stricter interpretation on kills. As always, feel free to comment, advise, correct, suggest, critisize, etc..

Without getting too serious or political I will say that over here in the States, after 9/11, people seem to prefer shows that convince them that the government can be trusted.

Up next:
The Heist of the Century!
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boroboy



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
That was excellent work on Judith's site, boroboy, and as you probably guessed, your Who shot Who and Body Counts essays was where I stole..ahem, I mean borrowed the idea for my thread . I admired it for years and tried to follow that standard but with a slightly stricter interpretation on kills. As always, feel free to comment, advise, correct, suggest, critisize, etc..


And I got the idea from "who kissed who" but I didn't have the technology for the screen grabs. Do you have screen grabs of all the kills ?

Quote:

Without getting too serious or political I will say that over here in the States, after 9/11, people seem to prefer shows that convince them that the government can be trusted.

Actually, thunda, I am over here in the states, too. I was brought back to B7 by our local PBS station in the early 1990's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroboy wrote:
Do you have screen grabs of all the kills ?


I have all the Blake's 7 episodes copied to my hard drive for easy access. I use a player called GOM player which is free, it has features such as screen capture. I watch the episode I'm dealing with several times, sometimes using slow-motion, sometimes using-freeze frame before making my determination. And yes I realize I have too much free time.
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold


"Wealth is the only reality. And the only way to obtain wealth is to take it away from somebody else."


Get ready for the heist of the century!

The Plan: To get rich quick
The Target: The Space Princess
The Prize: Black gold
The Score: Seventeen billion credits
The Catch: The most sophisticated security system ever devised

Avon says hello to an old friend. Avon says goodbye to an old friend. Vila replaces Cally as teleport boy. Tarrant pretends he's married and on drugs. Dayna pretends she's married and really is on drugs. Soolin finds that some guys will do anything to impress her, including shooting harmless doctors (Bad move Keiller, that's a turn off for most women).

Notes: Tarrant and Dayna team up with their usual good chemistry but the Avon and Soolin team up also had very good chemistry.
I didn't mention it before but at the start of season four the B7 crew, with the exception of Avon, all wear gray outfits. That makes more sense especially when they're in the processing plant, being that it's metallic gray, makes it harder for them to be spotted.
The team has come a long way from freedom fighters, now they are thieves, and not very good ones.

On to the killing.
This episode is very difficult. It starts off easy with Soolin and Avon getting clean kills but when it switches to Tarrant and Dayna it gets tricky. When Tarrant and Dayna fire at the guards they all hit the ground but it's not clear if any are hit or they're trying to become harder targets. Then the camera changes angles and the guards get up and start running but you can't tell if that's all of them. Conclusion; No kills.
Now in the processing plant first there are six guards chasing them, then five guards climbing the ladder, then only three. When Dayna uses her grenade I only see three guards fall. Conclusion; Three kills for Dayna.
It's not shown but two guards ambush Avon and Soolin and are killed. The crew mistake them for Avon and Soolin but it's not clear how they die although Keiller mentions something about an explosion. Conclusion; No kills.
After they get the gold and the alarm goes off Tarrant and Soolin shoot at the guards, one is shown on the floor. Conclusion; Half a point each.

Rough episode. And for those of you that are still awake



Episode Totals:

Soolin 3 1/2
Dayna 3
Avon 2
Tarrant 1/2



Overall Total:

Avon 36 1/2 +(1*)
Dayna 17 +(3*)
Blake 15 +(1*)
Tarrant 13 +(2*)
Soolin 9 1/2
Jenna 7
Zen 4
Cally 3 +(1*)
Vila 2
Gan 1

_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boroboy



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Power

Gunn-Sar claims Avon killed two of his men so I assume one was killed off camera. I'm not giving him credit for Cato nor am I giving Dayna credit for Gunn-Sar (she looked so happy I bet she went to sleep smiling) because that was Pella.


In my tally I counted both of these kills. But I can see that it is reasonable to not count ones where our heroes are under some outside influence. Having said that, Avon and Dayna's kills are very different. Avon really really does not want to murder Cato - they are kindred spirits. But Dayna wanted to fight Gunn-Sar - so maybe that should be counted. And you are right - Dayna looked very freaky killing Gunn-Sar. But her character is generally like that - so maybe not so surprising. I am thinking about the all the situations where she whines about not killing people. She is a truly murderous psychopath - no empathy with her fellow humans at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boroboy



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Traitor


How has the Federation managed to tame the fierce Helot fighters? Wat is the secret of Pylene-50? Why is a mysterious wheelchair bound stranger able to hold the key to life or death? Who is Commissioner Sleer? Will Dayna and Tarrant unravel the mysteries or fall victim to them? Murder, intrigue, betrayal, espionage, welcome to the planet Helotrix!
Enough hype, let's get to the kills.
Tarrant and Dayna team up again for what is supposed to be a simple recon mission. Yeah, simple.
Lots of hand to hand fighting and hard to tell if someone is killed. I'm only giving out one kill, the trooper who is guarding the laboratory, and I'm being generous.

Episode Total:

Tarrant 1
[/b]


I figured Dayna and Tarrant killed one apiece in the "fight".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boroboy



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Animals


"Are we not men?"


Answer:
"we are DEVO"

Quote:

Prepare yourself for a journey to a place like no other. Where the laws of creation have been tampered with. Where animals walk like men. Where forbidden love is rekindled and past hatreds renewed. Prepare yourself, for The Island of Dr. Justin Moreau!

Dayna's on a solo mission and not having a good day. She gets attacked, chased, captured, tortured, brainwashed, thrown off a cliff, re-brainwashed..and that's just in thirty minutes.

Dayna says she killed two of the "animals", however I thought the second one got back up, but that could be bad editing.
Avon and Soolin each get a mutoid.
Tarrant backhands a mutoid but I'll assume she was only stunned.


I was pretty sure Tarrant killed this mutoid.
Why oh why can't our heroes cap everyone in the back of the head with blood and brains everywhere so we could end our quibbling

All these grey areas. It's like the whole show was ambiguous, or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boroboy



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 298

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Gold

On to the killing.
This episode is very difficult. It starts off easy with Soolin and Avon getting clean kills but when it switches to Tarrant and Dayna it gets tricky. When Tarrant and Dayna fire at the guards they all hit the ground but it's not clear if any are hit or they're trying to become harder targets. Then the camera changes angles and the guards get up and start running but you can't tell if that's all of them. Conclusion; No kills.
Now in the processing plant first there are six guards chasing them, then five guards climbing the ladder, then only three. When Dayna uses her grenade I only see three guards fall. Conclusion; Three kills for Dayna.
It's not shown but two guards ambush Avon and Soolin and are killed. The crew mistake them for Avon and Soolin but it's not clear how they die although Keiller mentions something about an explosion. Conclusion; No kills.
After they get the gold and the alarm goes off Tarrant and Soolin shoot at the guards, one is shown on the floor. Conclusion; Half a point each.

Rough episode. And for those of you that are still awake


HEY! I was just resting my eyes!
Quote:

Episode Totals:

Soolin 3 1/2
Dayna 3
Avon 2
Tarrant 1/2

I agree that this was very hard to score - a real confusing gunbattle. I had one more kill total - but who can quibble with this.
By my reconning - the most bloodthirsty episode level with Warlord.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroboy wrote:
In my tally I counted both of these kills. But I can see that it is reasonable to not count ones where our heroes are under some outside influence. Having said that, Avon and Dayna's kills are very different. Avon really really does not want to murder Cato - they are kindred spirits. But Dayna wanted to fight Gunn-Sar - so maybe that should be counted. And you are right - Dayna looked very freaky killing Gunn-Sar. But her character is generally like that - so maybe not so surprising. I am thinking about the all the situations where she whines about not killing people. She is a truly murderous psychopath - no empathy with her fellow humans at all.


From the position Dayna was in; bent backwards, no leverage, only her left hand free, with part of Gunn Sar's weight on her, I would estimate the Seskas did 95% of the work. Dayna is only trying to keep from being put on the ground.


boroboy wrote:
thunda wrote:
Traitor


How has the Federation managed to tame the fierce Helot fighters? Wat is the secret of Pylene-50? Why is a mysterious wheelchair bound stranger able to hold the key to life or death? Who is Commissioner Sleer? Will Dayna and Tarrant unravel the mysteries or fall victim to them? Murder, intrigue, betrayal, espionage, welcome to the planet Helotrix!
Enough hype, let's get to the kills.
Tarrant and Dayna team up again for what is supposed to be a simple recon mission. Yeah, simple.
Lots of hand to hand fighting and hard to tell if someone is killed. I'm only giving out one kill, the trooper who is guarding the laboratory, and I'm being generous.

Episode Total:

Tarrant 1


I figured Dayna and Tarrant killed one apiece in the "fight".


Can't really argue with that, there's simply not enough proof either way. With Tarrant, the camera doesn't show his opponent and where the blow was landed. With Dayna, it looks like she slaps her opponent in the face a couple of times and he passes out. With hand to hand fights I need to see a vital area struck for me to count it. Btw, why are they fighting hand to hand when they have weapons?


boroboy wrote:
thunda wrote:
Animals


"Are we not men?"


Answer:
"we are DEVO"

Quote:

Prepare yourself for a journey to a place like no other. Where the laws of creation have been tampered with. Where animals walk like men. Where forbidden love is rekindled and past hatreds renewed. Prepare yourself, for The Island of Dr. Justin Moreau!

Dayna's on a solo mission and not having a good day. She gets attacked, chased, captured, tortured, brainwashed, thrown off a cliff, re-brainwashed..and that's just in thirty minutes.

Dayna says she killed two of the "animals", however I thought the second one got back up, but that could be bad editing.
Avon and Soolin each get a mutoid.
Tarrant backhands a mutoid but I'll assume she was only stunned.


I was pretty sure Tarrant killed this mutoid.
Why oh why can't our heroes cap everyone in the back of the head with blood and brains everywhere so we could end our quibbling

All these grey areas. It's like the whole show was ambiguous, or something.


Mutoids are supposed to be tough and Tarrant is not a superior fighter.
Heh heh, when Blake killed someone you could almost hear the neck crack.
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orbit



"it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place"
-Red Queen, Through the Looking-Glass



The Tachyon Funnel, the most devastating weapon ever created. Capable of destroying entire planets in a heartbeat. Avon matches wits with its inventor, a derranged, maniacal genius bent on inflicting his vengeance on an entire galaxy!

Avon and Vila in a rare team up that reminds us of "the good ole days" except now they're not equals.
Dayna and Soolin act like school girls (which makes sense considering they never had real childhoods).
Tarrant is left alone on the Scorpio with two beautiful women (that may soon need consoling. The lucky b@$#*%d).


No kills


Overall Total:

Avon 36 1/2 +(1*)
Dayna 17 +(3*)
Blake 15 +(1*)
Tarrant 13 +(2*)
Soolin 9 1/2
Jenna 7
Zen 4
Cally 3 +(1*)
Vila 2
Gan 1

_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warlord


"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote"
- Ambassador Kosh, Babylon 5


Avon gathers a bunch of alpha males together in an effort to form an alliance to fight the Federation. Tarrant is apparently still going through puberty. Vila shows why people don't like drunks. Orac gets his just desserts for giving a late warning. Soolin shows she's not intimidated by testosterone. Dayna..well, Dayna doesn't kill anyone.

Soolin and Avon team up to see who's the better killer. It's a matter of who is going to run out of ammo (or troopers) first.

Tarrant and Vila double date (sort of).

Notes: When you're planning an alliance to stop Servalan and the first thing they say is "Resist? With what? We have no armies, Avon, no great battle fleets", just end the meeting and send everyone home.

You expect Vila to crack when facing death but even Tarrant seems overly rattled. Only Dayna keeps her head throughout the entire ordeal, perhaps because she grew up in such a hostile environment? Kudos to Dayna for sticking with her running mate Tarrant to the very end.

Boos to Avon, for sending Zeeona, in the state of mind she was in, on a dangerous task.

Soolin gets one kill with what I believe is a laser probe and I believe sets a record for most kills in an episode.


Episode Totals:

Soolin 6
Avon 5


Overall Total:

Avon 41 1/2 +(1*)
Dayna 17 +(3*)
Blake 15 +(1*)
Soolin 15 1/2
Tarrant 13 +(2*)
Jenna 7
Zen 4
Cally 3 +(1*)
Vila 2
Gan 1



Next up:
Gauda Prime, it all ends here.
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake


A company,
Always on the run.
A destiny,
Towards the rising sun.
I was born shot-gun in my hand,
Behind a gun, I'll make my final stand.
That's why they call me...
Bad Company. I can't deny,
Bad Company, until the day I die. until the day I die. until the day I die...

-Bad Company, Bad Company


There was a time when a man forged a group. A Group forged from sweat, and blood and steel. This group would give voice to a billion muffled voices and silent pleas. They would face the darkness and say “enough”. And when they spoke kings and queens paid heed. And when they roared the heavens would tremble from their wrath. There was a time their exploits quickly dwarfed their legend as they gave hope to the shackled masses. They brought a long overdue death to a mad god and gave a dead race a second chance at life. At the ends of the galaxy they stood fast against a raging storm in the light of a dying star. They were hailed as saviors, crusaders, liberators, heroes. But that was then.


Gauda Prime, the most dangerous planet in the quadrant. Once a garden paradise now home to thieves, killers, mercenaries, psychopaths, bounty hunters. But rumor has it there's something worst that resides there. The crew drops down to G.P. in search of their former leader.

Blake returns to fulfil his prophecy to wade in blood up to his armpits. Soolin finds out you can’t go home again. Dayna learns that some Feds can actually hit the broad side of a barn. Tarrant gets to meet a legend. Avon finally loses it. Vila picked the wrong day to stay sober.

Perhaps the only episode where the whole crew is involved in an away mission. Blake kicks things off by shooting one of his fellow bounty hunters then follows it up by shooting down a flyer (which he will not get credit for). Not to be outdone Avon guns down two bounty hunters and steals their flyer. After that, well all hell breaks loose. The plan, if they actually had one, seems to have fallen apart after Scorpio went down. What were they thinking, shoot our way in, shoot our way out, teleport up to Scorpio and then...oh, right, forgot about that, huh? Anyway, Avon gets another kill, an unarmed woman (he’s already lost it at this point) and the big man himself. Soolin gets an unarmed guy who looks like a dentist and manages to take down a trooper also. Tarrant gets one too. Nothing for Dayna and nothing for Vila, although he does do a nice move to incapacitate Arlen.


To get a better understanding of what this episode is about, think of it as a food chain pyramid.
The sheep ate the grass and happily sang “we are farmers, we are at the top of the food chain”
Then the foxes came and ate the sheep and said “we are thieves, killers, mercenaries and psychopaths, we are on top of the food chain”
Then the wolves came and ate the foxes and laughed “we are bounty hunters, we are on top of the food chain”
Then the lions came and ate the wolves and said “we are the B7 crew and we are on top of the food chain”
And then the dinosaurs came and gobbled up the lions and roared “we are the Federation and we are on top of the food chain”

Ironies:
Soolin dies on her home planet.
Vila dies with a gun in his hand.
Tomboy Dayna dies at the hands of a woman.
Tarrant gets shot in the back.
Blake dies as a legal law enforcement officer
Avon gets killed by troopers who probably have no idea who he is

Episode notes: For some reason the bounty hunters who are cleaning up the planet are labeled the bad guys.
Dayna’s running mate Tarrant catches her after she’s shot and gently lowers her to the floor.
First time blood was shown I believe, on Arlen and Blake.
The Federation Troopers actually appear competent this episode when they converge from every entrance.
Blake is one tough bloke. Three shots to the gut and he’s still standing.

Personal note: When I saw this for the first time I had no idea it was the final episode. I tuned in every week for years trying to find out what channel Blake’s 7 had moved to wondering ‘how are they going to get out of this one’. It wasn’t until roughly twenty years later when I gained access to the internet that I found out this was the series finale. On the bright side I found out there were other fans, clubs and forums.

Episode totals:

Avon 4
Soolin 2
Blake 1
Tarrant 1


Avon takes overall Top Gun and Dayna second place. I'll be back with some statistics and awards.

Overall Total:

Avon 45 1/2 +(1*)
Dayna 17 +(3*)
Soolin 17 1/2
Blake 16 +(1*)
Tarrant 14 +(2*)
Jenna 7
Zen 4
Cally 3 +(1*)
Vila 2
Gan 1

_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
white afro in space



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3280
Location: Afrovia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following your thread quite closely, thunda, great work!

What I've liked best has been your episode descriptions. They are some of the most direct and wryly laconic write-ups on B7 I have ever read - and I've read a fair few and I am always on the lookout for descriptions on the wry side of the fence. Quite a few are hilariously funny. If Jarvik wore a hat, I'm sure he'd doff it for your herculean efforts, and I'd be there doffing it alongside him. As a primitive writer once said, next to a witty episode description, there's nothing half so hilarious as the realisation that the episode is suddenly hilarious.
_________________
As I was saying, we all have to learn to live with disappointment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
I've been following your thread quite closely, thunda, great work!

What I've liked best has been your episode descriptions. They are some of the most direct and wryly laconic write-ups on B7 I have ever read - and I've read a fair few and I am always on the lookout for descriptions on the wry side of the fence. Quite a few are hilariously funny. If Jarvik wore a hat, I'm sure he'd doff it for your herculean efforts, and I'd be there doffing it alongside him. As a primitive writer once said, next to a witty episode description, there's nothing half so hilarious as the realisation that the episode is suddenly hilarious.


Thank you, Afro. Having my name and Jarvik's in the same post is high praise indeed! I put so much time and effort into this that I'm starting to wonder when was the last time I felt the warmth of the Earth's sun on my naked back? Or lifted my face to the heavens, and laughed with the joy of being alive?


A slight correction. I neglected to give Jenna credit for the kill I changed my mind about from Deliverance. Below is the updated total.


Overall Total:

Avon 45 1/2 +(1*)
Dayna 17 +(3*)
Soolin 17 1/2
Blake 16 +(1*)
Tarrant 14 +(2*)
Jenna 8
Zen 4
Cally 3 +(1*)
Vila 2
Gan 1

_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1364
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's get to the awards. Season 1 was a tie but I've decided in the case of ties if one individual has a miscellaneous kill it only counts as 99 per cent.
So the Season 1 Top Gun with 6 kills by firearm and 1 with a rock is:





Season 1 Totals:

Jenna 7
Blake 6 +(1*)
Zen 2
Vila 1
Gan 1
Cally 1
Avon 1
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Click here to visit the Redemption 11 Site
Blakes7 Discussion  


Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
  Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email