Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The Walking Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Rick's final confrontation with The Governor, being that it would be David Morrissey's final appearance and they're friends, both actors wanted to give him an honorable send off. They did the scene without doubles, stuntmen, or pads. Andrew Lincoln complimented Morrissey, who took some hits, "He took it, representing my country. He was a very brave gentleman."

thunda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear the Walking Dead is a spin-off from the hit series The Walking Dead. It takes place in Los Angeles, California, USA during the beginning of the outbreak. It looks like they have a large budget because in the previews lots of people, police and soldiers are shown and it takes place in a major city. This is before it was discovered that the only way to kill a "Walker" was a strike to the brain so I can picture a small amount of them doing major damage. It premiered August 23rd and was the most watched premiere in cable history.

If they decide to do another spin-off I hope it will take place in another country or countries so we can see how different cultures would deal with an undead apocalypse, similar to World War Z. Keep in mind that in The Walking Dead universe people have no previous knowledge of what a zombie is.

thunda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to see the first half of season 1 of Fear the Walking Dead and was very disappointed. None of the characters are likable and it doesn’t fill in the gaps left by The Walking Dead. Since it was supposed to take place in Los Angeles I was expecting some big budget battles with the undead , however , most of the “action”(or lack of it) takes place off screen. It’s pretty much six episodes of character back story. Instead of a group of people finding themselves caught in a zombie apocalypse we get a few zombies who stumbled into a soap opera.
ZEN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt agree more with Thunda, it was an absolute bore from start to finish and was really disappointed. Methinks I wont be watching this series again No Smiley I shall keep with the original "Walking dead"

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 95
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEN wrote:
Couldnt agree more with Thunda, it was an absolute bore from start to finish and was really disappointed. Methinks I wont be watching this series again No Smiley I shall keep with the original "Walking dead"

The only things I learned from this was that the United States military was completely made up of arses who harass innocent civilians and can’t defeat an enemy that is unintelligent, unarmed, slow, gathers in groups, and that they outnumber. If I watch this crap again it will only be if I hear one or more of the main characters are getting killed and I’ll be rooting for the zombies.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan, the character best known for saving Rick's life in the first episode is played by fellow British actor Lennie James. After making a few more brief appearances Morgan finally got to meet Rick's group in season 5 and played a larger role.

white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gotten to the spoiler mentioned on the last page, roughly halfway through season 5. Was tough fighting the onions on that one * ...sniff

I gotta say it, best season yet! (so far at least) How ricking good is this show? It just seems to improve season on season. Large scale sub-plots don't drag on for episode after episode (like the Governor plot), and the move to split characters off into their own smaller-unit sub-plots is a real winner.
As for Rick, how many more levels of bad-a** can he possibly have left in the tank? I thought he'd maxxed out his bad-a** credit card at the end of last season with that 'chomp', but he's clearly taken it up a couple of notches already this season.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you posting again, Afro, thought the walkers had gotten you.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 6, The Walking Dead.

Best season yet? Yep! That’s five ‘best yets’ out of 5. Surely it can’t continue to get better. There can’t be any more ‘betterness’ left to uncover. What is it that makes this show so good? For me, it’s they way they handle story arcs. I’m not a major tv junkie, but this show does it better than anyone I’ve yet seen and they are currently at the pinnacle of the artform, as I imagine it. Sure, they didn’t start at the pinnacle of arc handling - no one had any idea where it was at the time, but over the years they’ve honed it to perfection. The key has been the ‘smaller group’ storylines which weave in and out with other storylines. They got onto this a season or so ago and they appear to be continuing it. The difference now is that they can do it while the small groups aren’t separated from the other groups (as they did just after the prison thing). In other words, they are maintaining individual story lines while the groups are in contact with each other. Yes, that is a little ‘soapy’, but the Walking Dead has the advantage of overall progression whereas soaps tend to cycle a set number of scenarios with differing combinations of characters. The Walking Dead also has the ‘Binge-factor’ , which is an important step up for televised drama. Cinematic drama cannot (and won’t) compete with the ‘Binge-factor’ resulting from modern tv distribution. Cinema just doesn’t have the time to develop plots, characters and complex relationships like tv now can.

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed with how it ended. But that could be just me wanting to know what happens next. While there are some real highs in dramatic tension this season, it’s also very very dark with Rick’s team really having to undertake some morally dubious activities. This is taking it’s toll on characters like Abraham and Carol who seem to be having some form of existential crisis. A crisis for a traditional tv or movie character tends to revolve around them not getting what they want (‘Boo hoo. Such and such cheated on me. Waaaah!’). The Walking Dead currently have something different going on. It’s as though the characters are becoming increasingly ill-affected by their predicament.

These crises, mixed with the moral dubiousness, have the potentialto make this show REALLY dark, like nothing TV has ever seen. Avon in Orbit is a lightweight to the potential for moral decay Rick and the team might have to partake in. Will the makers of the show go that far?
It’s not all brilliant though. One thing I have noticed is that each new season makes previous seasons redundant. Has anyone else noticed that? I have no inclination to watch earlier seasons. Perhaps I just need more time before I can go back. The big problem though is that the threats really are starting to get ‘samey’. While it is no doubt a positive that they don’t drag on a threat for many episodes, the faster turnover means that we get used to them coming out on top more often.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my desire to catch up on other shows I've falled a bit behind on this one. Another British actor joins the cast, Tom Payne from Chelmsford, Essex, England playing the role of Paul 'Jesus' Rovia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: