Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The Walking Dead
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1375
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: The Walking Dead Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you guys can get this over where you are but The Walking Dead is a cable tv series loosely based on, but not as good as, the comic book/graphic novel of the same name. It follows a deputy sheriff who awakes from a coma to find the world overrun by zombies. Although it's more soap opera than horror,I wouldn't recommend it if you're squeamish. Good, but not as scary as 28 Days Later or funny as Shaun Of The Dead.



http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
white afro in space



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3283
Location: Afrovia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thunda, my fellow Jarvikian.

Some friends lent us the DVD of the first series because they know we're big fans of the Zombie genre. We really enjoyed it. It did get a little 'soapy' in some episodes but overall, great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the second season.

A British actor plays the lead role and he's very good in it.
_________________
As I was saying, we all have to learn to live with disappointment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meegat39



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 567
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we saw this and thought the first season was very entertaining. However, I have to say we turned off mid way through season 2. The "soapiness" gets ridiculous. A girl goes missing in the forest, with zombies likely to get her at any minute and instead of looking for her they sit around and talk about their feelings. However, someone has recently told us that it improves again, so may give it another chance at some point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moggy



Joined: 12 May 2007
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season Two finished last week here, and yes, Meegat, the soapiness was rinsed away by the blood from a nice high body count. I won't go into detail (cos spoilers is bad) but I was pleased with the last few episodes, and looking forward to a new direction for Season Three.
_________________
You are free...to do as we tell you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZEN



Joined: 16 May 2004
Posts: 7603
Location: LIVERPOOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've seen the first series, if you could call it that! and all of the 2nd series, which only ended last week here in the UK. I enjoyed the 2nd series more than the first to be honest. it was darker and more gruesome in parts, though it did tend to linger more on people's feelings a little too often! At one point I was thinking - where have all the zombies gone! gimmie a zombie! its supppose to be about Zombies!! Later in the series we thankfully get to see loads more of them Yes Smiley

Like Afro I'm a big fan of the Zombie genre, which started year's ago with my first watching of the B&W "Night of the living dead" and most of my DVD collection consists of Zombie movies

I've recently started playing "The Walking Dead " Game on the PS3, which is obviously based more on Robert Kirkman's original comic books than the series. Its more of a RPG than the usual Zombie blasting games, there are decisions to be made all the time! Who do you save if two of the group are being attacked by Zombies!! - your choice, but it doesn't give you long to consider which

http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/

Oh, I can also be found on the PSNetwork online, blasting Nazi Zombies in Call or Duty - World at war
_________________
Wisdom must be gathered, it can not be given


nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 176
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
meegat39



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 567
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after two such strong and respectable endorsements, may have to pick it up where we left off!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thunda



Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 1375
Location: Kaldor City

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meegat39 wrote:
Yes we saw this and thought the first season was very entertaining. However, I have to say we turned off mid way through season 2. The "soapiness" gets ridiculous. A girl goes missing in the forest, with zombies likely to get her at any minute and instead of looking for her they sit around and talk about their feelings. However, someone has recently told us that it improves again, so may give it another chance at some point.


ZEN wrote:
Yep, I've seen the first series, if you could call it that! and all of the 2nd series, which only ended last week here in the UK. I enjoyed the 2nd series more than the first to be honest. it was darker and more gruesome in parts, though it did tend to linger more on people's feelings a little too often! At one point I was thinking - where have all the zombies gone! gimmie a zombie! its supppose to be about Zombies!! Later in the series we thankfully get to see loads more of them Yes Smiley


Yeah, from what I read, the production team increased the amount of season episodes from 6 to 13 but also cut the budget from $3.4 million to $2.7 million. The result was more indoor scenes for season 2 and less outdoor scenes and special effects.

white afro in space wrote:
Hi Thunda, my fellow Jarvikian.

Some friends lent us the DVD of the first series because they know we're big fans of the Zombie genre. We really enjoyed it. It did get a little 'soapy' in some episodes but overall, great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the second season.

A British actor plays the lead role and he's very good in it.


Without giving any spoilers, it picks up near the end of season 2 so that even Jarvik would have been hard pressed in the season finale.
_________________
"Women, food, and inflicting pain -- in no particular order."
- The Fifth Legion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
white afro in space



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3283
Location: Afrovia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished watching Season 2, which I enjoyed very much. I thought it was vastly superior to the first season, which itself was very good.
I thought the developments in the story arc were appropriate and nicely placed. The soapiness is a factor, but not so much that it put me off the show in any way, I found I just went with it and accepted it as part of the show. Mind you, the makers could have watched 'Star One' to see how an end of season cliffhanger could be made.
_________________
As I was saying, we all have to learn to live with disappointment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHARPBLUE



Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 3029
Location: Swindon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that I got really bored with this series, only watched two or three episodes of season 2 and then gave up on it. I don't know why but I found it so slow and predictable. Hey ho - I suppose you can't please everybody all of the time.


_________________
Ramses niblick the 3rd kerplunk kerplunk whoops there goes my thribble

Visit