Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Best Science Fiction Television Series of all Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
SHARPBLUE wrote:
How didI let this one get away. So here I am 12 years after the event really enjoying a series I though was a cheap Star Trek rip off, but in fact in many way's it's superior because it's NOT Star Trek!

I too took a long time to get into B5; it was only when a friend showed us some key episodes that I started to see how it hung together. Only then did I realise just how well written it was. There's even one or two nods to B7 in it.

Episode I watched yesterday with Walter Koenig as Bester, they called him Alfred in homage to the science fiction writer Alfred Bester plus when Checkov, sorry Bester walked into the room the sound as he entered was a slowed down transporter sound from Star Trek.

Babylon 5 has also won Hugo awards for its originality and writing. I'm nearing the end of season 3 at the moment.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to get into B5 as well... I saw the odd episode of it when it was first broadcast here in the UK on Channel 4, then a few years ago I got some videos of the first season at a sci-fi fair, but still didn't really get to grips with it even after watching a few eps...

However, I'd heard so many good things about it that I made myself watch a few more episodes, and pretty soon I was completely hooked - buying all the DVD sets and watching several episodes a day!

It's a brilliant series and an incredible achievement too, given that J. Michael Straczynski wrote 92 out of the 110 episodes, not to mention handling the day to day running of the show, and pioneering the use of the internet to communicate with the show's fans at the same time!

Anyway, I've probably said all that before... but did I mention that B5 is brilliant?

As for Star Trek and DS9 comparisons, I like Ivanova's line in the episode "There All the Honour Lies" when faced with the prospect of having a Babylon 5 gift shop on board the station, selling B5 merchandise - "We're not some deep space franchise! This place is about something!" George Lucas should take note also

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this on the Prop Masters site - not a B5 costume obviously

http://www.propmasters.net/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=1987

Also afew B7 costumes in there as well, a tad pricey though

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 96
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Star Trek, esp. season 1
Much of 1970s Dr Who
Space: 1999 year one
B7
Babylon Five
Deep Space Nine
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Babylon 5 fest came to an end on Friday - all the seasons, all the support movies incl legend of the rangers and the Crusade series in search for the cure to the Drak plague - now that series was really starting to go someplace then it was canned!!! I was gutted!

I feel a bit down now, so as a cure to B5 I have embarked on a re watch of B7 with two chaps who have only seen it contemporary, except my mate Andy who watched season 1 on Swindon Cables "Super Channel" back in the 80's.

We did four episodes from back to back yesterday and the next B7 sit in is already planned....Happy days!!

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
RichardWho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having visited Winspit Quarry again on Friday, with my partner Serval Ann, we naturally watched "Games" when we got home.
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ it's been a while.

Interesting some of you should mention Star Cops, watched that for the first time recently and absolutely loved it!
I also thought the much maligned theme song was a cracking tune.
Finally completed my Blake's 7 collection after drifting from the show for the latter part of my teenage years (i am now 20, i hope if any of you remember me it makes you feel old). As i say, i finally bought season 3 and have just finished watching it, and am now dipping my toe in the early years radio plays.

to bring this back to topic:
1. Doctor Who (of course)
2. Blake's 7/Star Cops (can't decide).
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to see Star Cops finally, a year or two ago. It started out interesting. I liked the external space images, their dealing with weightlessness, and the unconventional lead actor/character. He was a beleaguered, disillusioned middle-aged man, and that part was great.

I think the series got out of Chris Boucher's hands. It became too mundane, I think, though worth watching. In general, I resent the insistence (even in the UK, apparently) on putting cops into every series of every genre, even SF. It can be done well, but the non-stop deluge of policemen has to mean something significant...
Mary Lou Jensen

Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the series was building to a big second season.........only of course it never happened. Oh well.
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible zodin wrote:
Christ it's been a while. (i am now 20, i hope if any of you remember me it makes you feel old).

Welcome back Zodin! Wave Wave

As Stephen Fry once said - "I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder to do that for me."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:
My favourites from season 2 are "Face of the Tiger", "Lights of London" parts 1 and 2, and "Parasites", which has a great performance from Patrick Troughton...

I was watching "Lights of London 1+2" again last night and it is a gritty one. Greg and Ruth are really good in it. Also Roger LLoyd-Pack is one of the better guest actors (along with the doctor) as the conscientious objector. I was sorry when he passed away earlier this year.

There's several things about this title I like (in fact many of the episode titles are open to interpretation). Firstly there's the irony behind what it usually means and the fact that its all gone. Then when they arrive in London there are lights in the sky from fires that are burning. Also the rats don't like any lights and, avoiding the rats being essential, that's very useful for survival. But it also seems to simply describe the comfort that Ruth finds in her room. I couldn't help thinking about the clever title.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange that there's this UK SF series still out there that I haven't seen, which is great from all accounts here... that's my favorite thing, 70s UK SF television. I'll have to see it sometime. I'm going to guess that it was never shown in the US.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
It's strange that there's this UK SF series still out there that I haven't seen, which is great from all accounts here... that's my favorite thing, 70s UK SF television...

I also like it!; there's The Tomorrow People, Moonbase 3, Star Maidens and (entering the 80's) The Flipside Of Dominick Hyde
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Moonbase 3. I found it toward the end of a tape someone had made that I'd bought or was sent for a different show... it was part of some cable marathon years earlier... Interesting but dry. They clearly weren't an alien invasion show like DW. They wanted to show a more probable and realistic moon base situation. It ended on a strange note as I remember. Didn't they think the human race on Earth had been wiped out, and that they were everybody who was left?
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the programme is that I don't recall it ever being explained why they have 1G and not 1/6th G!; but, accepting that, I like the few stories that were made.
Magnusgreel wrote:
It ended on a strange note as I remember. Didn't they think the human race on Earth had been wiped out, and that they were everybody who was left?
Yes in the final episode a Nobel Prize winner scientist visits the European Moonbase (Moonbase 3) and then all communication with the Earth is cut-off. When they suspect that the other Moonbases are experiencing similar problems and that the Earth's atmosphere looks strange they jump to that conclusion. It's quite a good, thought-provoking one and the Series generally has a lot of psychology allongside the action-in-space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: