Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Best Science Fiction Television Series of all Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone must have had the job of painting new numbers on the Eagles, because every week Eagle one got destroyed!
Mary Lou Jensen

Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or they had mircle workers for engineers who could rebuild them from the small scraps left!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...babylon 5 is my ALL time fav series but Dr Who well...its just such a bit part of my growing up and as for blakes 7...also love the new battlestar which i have just finished for the first time (great stuff!!)
and adore space:1999 and UFO
series i think should have got another series were star cops and definitly space above and beyond..i used to write fan fiction type stuff for that when i was at school/college
but babylon 5 has such a fantastic story arch its like a really long deep well thought out book i watch it all at least once every year...usually in the winter time with lots of dark evening to fill
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woudl love to read you space above and beyond fiction!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Don't knock me for this one.... Reply with quote

Apart from Doctor Who I have always loved Quantum Leap! It had a bit of everything and Scott was yum; though I never really realised that when I first watched it as a teenager.
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an Al girl myself. Didn't discover Scott until Enterprise - he's got a lovely back

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me apart from B7, Space 1999, BSG new, The Martian Chronicles - mini 3 pt series, Star Maidens, Dr Who, Project UFO - are some I regularly watch.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How weird - just finished watching all the Project UFO stories. Jake was my honey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Futsie wrote:
Apart from B7, I would say either Survivors (the original 70s series), or Babylon 5
I've just watched (the original) Survivors Series 2 for the first time over the past month. It was every bit as good as Series 1 that I enjoyed first-watching nearly 10 years ago. It's great how Greg and Jenny are still central; it makes me feel that I know them! Having just watched the episodes 'Over the Hills' and 'New World' tonight, 'Greater Love' followed by 'Over the Hills' are the two favourites of S2. S3 for Christmas now.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourites from season 2 are "Face of the Tiger", "Lights of London" parts 1 and 2, and "Parasites", which has a great performance from Patrick Troughton... and Delia Paton (Mina) and Kevin McNally (the rather nasty Kane) are very good in it too

One of my absolute favourite moments in season 2 is the speech given round the kitchen table by the Alastair McFadden character (played by John Line) near the end of "Face of the Tiger". I read somewhere that the cast and crew broke into spontaneous applause immediately after the filming of that speech

I haven't watched season 3 for a while, but I seem to remember thinking that the episodes sometimes didn't maintain the consistent high quality of the previous seasons, but on the other hand the show became grittier and darker and more intense, especially with the episodes "Law of the Jungle", "Mad Dog" and "The Last Laugh". Season 3 has a good overall story arc to it as well, in my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know there was a book 'Survivors' by Terry Nation and I'm just reading it. So far it's almost word-identical to the TV series - about episode 3. Interestingly Terry Nation describes Greg in the past as being a bit of a conforming type through school and in his marriage, saying of Greg "He seldom had the courage to rise to anger", but then has Greg using the word b**** to his dead wife (which I don't remember being in the TV series). Now I'm interested to read on and see if Terry Nation wrote Greg as an angry man after the epidemic struck or if this is just the way Ian McCulloch chose to portray him.

I also hope to find out how the book continues and how it relates to the episodes not attributed to Terry Nation.

Terry uses the word sidewalk at one point in the book instead of pavement so he must have been thinking about America already!
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the book later diverges from the direction the TV series took (or maybe there was a second book by Terry Nation?). Nation had very different ideas about how the story should develop, which contributed to his leaving the show after the first season. The BBC carried on their vision of the series without him, and he only got to put his story into a book...

I can't help wondering if that falling out with the BBC led to his next project, a certain dystopian sci-fi series where a vast and oppressive Federation seeks to control all thought and deed, even to the point of reprogramming people's brains

Maybe those scenes with Blake undergoing "intensive therapy" were reminiscent of how Nation felt in some of the writers' meetings for Survivors season 2?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a bit more today. The episode 3 story is altered but the episode 6 story (Garlands War) seems pretty similar.

Wikipedia claims that the book is "an adaptation of certain Series One episodes* with a radicaly different ending" (*preumably the ones that were written by Terry Nation). I'm not sure that this is the whole story as regards eveything being about Series One, as I read today before the Garlands War story a bit about the situation in 'Lights Of London', Series 2; so maybe at least some of the TV stories that were attributed to other writers had been outlined by Terry.

In any case it's good to read the book to see how Terry wanted the story to develop. Writers for TV have often had the frustration of having their ideas changed.
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may come as a shock but in 1995 I totally ignored Babylon 5 - at the time I thought it was another cheap network rip off of Star Trek DS9 (I hasten to add that didn't appeal to me at all, Star Trek overdose as next Gen had just finished), so I avoided Babylon 5 at all costs.... Until this year.

My landlord purchased the entire series and films box set. With much reluctance I started watching it as part of my non going out regime. Season 1 is slow to get going but here I am halfway through season 3 and totally hooked... Hell, even Garrabaldi who annoyed me at first is growing on me!! I really like Mira Furlan's Delenn character (especially after her crysaliss stage).

How did I let this one get away. So here I am 12 years after the event really enjoying a series I though was a cheap Star Trek rip off, but in fact in many way's it's superior because it's NOT Star Trek!

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
RichardWho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARPBLUE wrote:
How didI let this one get away. So here I am 12 years after the event really enjoying a series I though was a cheap Star Trek rip off, but in fact in many way's it's superior because it's NOT Star Trek!

I too took a long time to get into B5; it was only when a friend showed us some key episodes that I started to see how it hung together. Only then did I realise just how well written it was. There's even one or two nods to B7 in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: