Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

1984 vs Brave New World
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is the better dystopian book?
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Brave New World
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

white afro in space

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, and great post there, futs! Get your chomps into Chomsky, eh?

Like you, I don't remember BNW all that well wheras 1984 is almost as clear as day in my memory.

With regard to Roach's comment about DH Lawrence and Savagery, The 50 years preceeeding the 1930s saw rapid growth in machinery and its various applications in society. However, Freud's 'discovery' of the unconcious, influenced the bulk of intellectual and arttistic life, which was geared towards exploring more animal instincts, and regarding those instincts as natural, in contrast to the rise of the machine in everyday life. I might give BNW another shot!
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a new copy of 1984. Trying to obtain a copy of 1985 by Anthony Burgess.
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984 for me, though I always thought Orwell should have been honest and called it '1944'.

I know he is a writer who divides opinion but, for me, Ben Elton's recent book 'Blind Faith' beats both 1984 and BNW as a genuinely unsettling vision of a dystopia that could be just around the corner.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that 1984 IS real and it IS happening, just in North Korea, not the UK.
saba

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading 1984 - for the first time since I read it at school, which was pre-1984. I'd recommend it. The ideological perspectives are very intriguing, and elements of the plot that speak loudly to me now, I missed somewhat as a teenager.

As to Blakes 7, the Federation has 1984 written all over it. The idea that if you prevent people from thinking too hard then they can't rebel. And in both systems, the state sets out to deliberately control what people think. In BNW they are induced to be compliant by pleasant experiences, whereas in 1984 its drug and fear induced.
AnnaGrant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading BNW a week or so ago. I was thinking about it earlier as I was watching a programme about advertising in America in the 60s-after the wonderful Mad Men!-and they were saying how Americans were encouraged to consume. Consuming was one of the ways that the BNW society remained stable.

I liked how people were persuaded, without the use of overt force, to happily accept their lot. Just applying force on people who are rebelling is a much less effective way of maintaining the status quo. Servalan and Travis take note.

I thought that the Savage's thoughts and actions became increasingly unlikely and irrational when he arrived in 'civilization', and this part didn't seem as well thought out as the earlier parts of the book.

But I was really glad that I had been spurred on to revisit this book.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently ploughing through Anthony Burgess' 1985, the first half of which is a critique of 1984. Burgess seems to think that the book is really a dark comedy and more a parody of 1948 Britain.

There's also mention of a review Orwell wrote of Brave New world, that it wasn't anywhere near as good as a book called We* by a Russian author whose name escapes me. Must try tracking that one down.

I've started the second half and it's hard going.

Edit: * Yevgeny Zamyatin. He apparently lived in

Jesmond and worked in the Tyneside shipyards in WWI.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished BNW. Some of it is genuinely frightening but it's not a patch on 1984.

As for We - I finished that on friday. Very difficult to get into, partly because it wasn't written in English and thus is translated and partly because the concepts are quite alien. It is a book I thoroughly recommend as it's quite stimulating.

Some of the elements in it seem to flow into The Way Back - I wonder if Nation read it?
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a wikipedia page about it, looks interesting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_%28novel%29

(took me a couple of goes to find it coz I thought you meant the title was "As for We"!)

It says that George Orwell began writing 1984 a few months after he'd read and reviewed "We", and said he was taking it as the model for his next novel... So I guess it would be hard to say if Terry Nation read it or was just influenced by ideas that carried over into 1984 and Brave New World?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin (writing as Murray Constantine) is another one well worth searching out, although the introduction is a load of leftie feminist tosh.

Imagine a version of 1984 set 700 years after the Nazis win WWII and you're not far off.

Also in a similar vein, Len Dighton's SS-GB and Robert Harris "Fatherland". I can see the latter as a prequel of sorts for Swastika Night.

Next on the list in my road to Dystopia - either Farenheit 451 or The Iron Heel.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a stroke of luck, I picked up a copy of 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin at a local book fair that I go to from time to time. As it happened, Lisa picked it up and said it looked interesting and I hadn't even mentioned the book to her.

Looks good. I'll probablt get to it after I've finished Kafka's ''The Castle'. Thanks for the tip, Janov!
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard going but well worth it, although if you're managing to plow through Kafka, I doubt you'll have a problem! I've a copy of The Trial which I intend to have another go at at some point - I gave up on it some years back.

I did zip through E.M.Forster's The Machine Stops a few days back. Very short but very bleak. Absolutely superb. I'd recommend watching the Out of the Unknown adaptation - it's on youtube - very faithful to the story and probably the high point of the series.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Janov! The book is well worth it. Enjoyed it a lot. To be a bit critical, it loses it a little toward the end in my opinion. Nevertheless, it's still a great read. It is absolutely certain that Orwell dipped into this book for 1984. It's a pity that the book seems so little known yet '84 is seen as so influential.

Another one to the Ruskis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: