Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

When does Avon lose it?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When does Avon lose it?
Space Fall
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Rumours Of Death
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Terminal
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Traitor
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Stardrive
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Orbit
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blake
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Never!
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author Message
Ron



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 3112
Location: A town, UK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: When does Avon lose it? Reply with quote

Is it in? :

Space Fall (joke!)
Rumours of Death meeting Anna again
Terminal turning against them, and that final smile
Traitor wanting to kill Servalan himself
Stardrive hitching a lift from an asteroid and not saving the Doctor
Orbit trying to jettison Vila
Blake - or not until he smiles at the end

Vote now!
_________________
Last Watched: Killer, 30/7/2017
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mary Lou Jensen



Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 480
Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Avon did lose it, it was interesting to watch the process in fact. I think he started to lose it the moment he started to care about people other than himself, it was a very very very slow process, it just excellerated towards the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Futsie
!PRINT!


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 10714
Location: The Middle Lands

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yes, that made me think of one of his lines in "Space Fall"... There he is, on a prison ship to Cygnus Alpha, everything gone wrong, and what exactly went wrong, Avon? - "I relied on other people "

I guess that's an important theme of the final episode tho - both Blake and Avon HAVE to rely on other people to some extent, but who can be relied on?

A theme of other episodes too - Dr Plaxton didn't exactly make good choices of allies, I think
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagnusGreel



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was meeting Anna, I think it was shooting Anna.

I used to have that last moment with Avon from "Gold" as an avatar, for awhile!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the masters of cheese



Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 3227
Location: round the bend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think killing anna did it....his hold on reality slips then
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagnusGreel



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the masters of cheese wrote:
i think killing anna did it....his hold on reality slips then


He lost his hold on reality? That's going a bit far. He wasn't delusional. He could think, plan, and hold conversations like a sane person. He did, though, have some intolerable feelings going on that affected his decisions eventually.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meegat39



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 567
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
the masters of cheese wrote:
i think killing anna did it....his hold on reality slips then


He lost his hold on reality? That's going a bit far. He wasn't delusional. He could think, plan, and hold conversations like a sane person. He did, though, have some intolerable feelings going on that affected his decisions eventually.


I never believed that Avon lost it, either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagnusGreel



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meegat39 wrote:
MagnusGreel wrote:
the masters of cheese wrote:
i think killing anna did it....his hold on reality slips then


He lost his hold on reality? That's going a bit far. He wasn't delusional. He could think, plan, and hold conversations like a sane person. He did, though, have some intolerable feelings going on that affected his decisions eventually.


I never believed that Avon lost it, either.


What most people these days seem not to understand is that there's an enormous, murky, grey area between being mentally "healthy" (whatever that really means, if anything), and being out-and-out disturbed. For the most part, most of us exist somewhere in that grey area. Did Avon "lose it", in the way people use that expression these days? Yes. Did he lose his mind? No.

He stays a generally rational man, whose rationality is increasingly under pressure from one or more life traumas or irreconcilable conflicts. Part of his response is to isolate himself, cutting off any possible escape routes. I don't know if the others on Liberator/Scorpio could have been of help, but his personal dignity wouldn't have allowed him to try to include them or confide in them. Maybe for good reason.

So the pressure gets to him more and more. No, he's not crazy. But he is trapped in a bad mental place. I don't know quite what that mental place is, but it might be a fairly rational and well-reasoned place. I mean, one can be traumatized and be damaged, and made cynical, without its being because of a skewed psychological attitude. His growing cynicism might be justified. After all, the B7 universe is a pretty crappy one to try to live in. His day-to-day practical judgment is definitely suffering, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meegat39



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 567
Location: Bristol

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
meegat39 wrote:
MagnusGreel wrote:
the masters of cheese wrote:
i think killing anna did it....his hold on reality slips then


He lost his hold on reality? That's going a bit far. He wasn't delusional. He could think, plan, and hold conversations like a sane person. He did, though, have some intolerable feelings going on that affected his decisions eventually.


I never believed that Avon lost it, either.


What most people these days seem not to understand is that there's an enormous, murky, grey area between being mentally "healthy" (whatever that really means, if anything), and being out-and-out disturbed. For the most part, most of us exist somewhere in that grey area. Did Avon "lose it", in the way people use that expression these days? Yes. Did he lose his mind? No.

He stays a generally rational man, whose rationality is increasingly under pressure from one or more life traumas or irreconcilable conflicts. Part of his response is to isolate himself, cutting off any possible escape routes. I don't know if the others on Liberator/Scorpio could have been of help, but his personal dignity wouldn't have allowed him to try to include them or confide in them. Maybe for good reason.

So the pressure gets to him more and more. No, he's not crazy. But he is trapped in a bad mental place. I don't know quite what that mental place is, but it might be a fairly rational and well-reasoned place. I mean, one can be traumatized and be damaged, and made cynical, without its being because of a skewed psychological attitude. His growing cynicism might be justified. After all, the B7 universe is a pretty crappy one to try to live in. His day-to-day practical judgment is definitely suffering, though.


I agree that Avon was under increasing pressure and I believe this affected his decisions and mental state. But the expression "lost it" implies that he flipped or lost his hold on reality. So maybe the name of the poll is wrong or could be better worded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Blakes7 Discussion  


Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
  Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email