Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Politicians expenses scandal!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Wil you ever vote for the main political parties again?
YES
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
NEVER!
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Other opinion?
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Politicians expenses scandal! Reply with quote

Vote! http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/05/11/oakley.uk.mps.expenses/

In the light of the present scandal, will you bother to vote for them again?
Concrete

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Captain Rainbow of the Monster Raving Loony Alliance to stand in my constituency.
pna

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expenses saga is terrible, and I cant quite believe:
(a) how such a system of 2nd home 'allowances' has evolved into the grossly abusive regime that it is, and
(b) how 'honourable' MPs considered it reasonable to claim for some of the things they did.

I fully support the police investigation into the matter and hope charges are brought against the people administering the system who allowed fraudelent claims, and as many as possible of those who have made fraudelent claims.

I dont think the excuse of it being a 'mistake' and saying they will give the money back is enough - at the very least everyone with a series of dodgy claims should be 'sacked'...

If I cant trust an MP to be honest with a small mater such as expenses, I dont want them in a position of power, and if they cant get a simple matter right like claiming expenses, then I certainly dont want them presiding over complex matters - either way, they dont deserve to be an MP any more

I think I need to take some deep breaths...
Ron

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the worst thing that could happen is if people stop voting. Politicians from all parties have been claiming unjustified expenses. It's just the expenses rules that need to be changed.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but don't MP's ultimately decide what the rules are and how to enforce them?

Seems to me that some MP's are giving the excuse that they can't be trusted not to abuse a system if the rules aren't clear or aren't enforced, but they also can't be trusted to CREATE a system with good rules that are enforced... umm... and yet it's still not their fault? Yeah right...

This system was just ASKIN' for it, ASKIN' for it, it was! You know, this system wot we could change if we wanted to? Hey, but you can't blame us, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are all going on about a fresh start...why dont they sack ALL of them and re-elect EVERYONE!!!with non of the current mps allowed back
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the masters of cheese wrote:
they are all going on about a fresh start...why dont they sack ALL of them and re-elect EVERYONE!!!with non of the current mps allowed back

That`s what I said!
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should sack all the ones who have been fiddling the expenses... There are over 600 MP's and I don't know how many of those have actually been involved in these expense claims tho...

From something Ian Hislop said, I gather that there have been some MP's who have been trying to do something about these expenses for a while, but they've been sidelined by the others...

Lack of enforcement seems to be the problem tho, not the rules. On Question Time, Mr Dimbleby read out part of the rules, which quite clearly stated that MPs cannot claim for items that are not related to their Parliamentary duties, and should not claim for overly luxurious things... and the rules also remind them that their expenses are open to public scrutiny and they should think about this when making claims...

But then Menzies Campbell at one point said these were "guidelines", not rules...

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - usually a few hundred comments on matters of debate:

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=6430&edition=1&ttl=20090517210951

But this one is over 14,000 with another 4000 in the queue!
Ron

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know who administers the system, maybe Civil Servants, but it sure as hell isn't poor scapegoat Michael Martin. You can't blame one person, a good man doing a thankless job, for the present situation.
Moggy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Martin is my MP.

I mention this because by the time you're reading this, he might not be any more.

Don't really see why people are cross with him. Grabbing money wherever you can and taking a pop at anyone who tries to stop you. It's the Glasgow way. The cells down Baird Street nick are full of people who've done exactly the same thing.
pna

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moggy wrote:
Michael Martin is my MP.

Don't really see why people are cross with him.

Because he's been involved in the expenses saga since last year and hasnt made it 'go away' - in fact it has caused severe embarassment.

The fact that MPs themselves resisted any changes, and that Gordon Brown himself tried (unsuccessfully) to make changes only a couple of weeks ago seems to have escaped attention.... The poor bloke didnt stand a chance - if he pushed changes through last year he'd have been damned, and now that the cat is out of the bag about what MPs have been up to, he is damned for the truth getting out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: