Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

THE HITCH HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is your fav version?
The Books
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
The Radio Series
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
The TV Adaption
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
The Film
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
None!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

dave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to vote the books.

Never heard the radio series. TV wasn't bad, but when I tried watching it again recently I found it a bit boring compared to how I remembered it.

The film is rubbish.
the masters of cheese

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SEEM TO BE HAVING THIS TREMENDOUS PROBLEM WITH MY LIFESTYLE
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the computer game version of HHGG! That quote just reminded me of it... you have to distract the small dog at the start of the game with a cheese sandwich, otherwise later when you get teleported on board the microscopic space fleet you get eaten by what appear to be giant jaws...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Douglas Adams was asked which incarnation of the HHGG he liked the best it must have caught him by surprise. How else can his "definitely not the TV show" be explained? In episode 3 (with Zaphod convinced they're above Magarathea), for example, I can't help feeling that the TV version is the best!

I like :
The colourful special effects, such as the coloured sea at the beginning, and the way in which the soundtrack/narration goes with it; director Alan J. Bell, thanks!
Making Trillian glamorous
The way Arthur, beyond caring, just wants to know "Is there any tea on this spaceship?" but then cares for some more appreciation for saving their lives.
The response from Magarathea and the ship's computer is cleverly realised.
Coming out of the ship on Magarathea with Arthur and Marvin's exchange. I find it funniest in the TV show.

I don't like :
Mark Wing-Davy could maybe have held his head to his left to make the second head more realistic. (Because when he's talking to Arthur from behind the gate, before he goes down into Magarathea, Zaphod's two heads look quite realistic because you can't see his body!)
the masters of cheese wrote:

and zaphod....never has there been such bad casting for a part hated the double decker heads
I don't think Mark Wing-Davy was miscast at all, but I do agree about the heads!

Great to hear about the first HHGG book's 30th anniversary. I learnt from an article in 'The Big Issue' that an officially sanctioned sixth HHGG book has been written. My instinctive reaction is that they shouldn't try to add to what Douglas Adams was able to give us.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, Ron. The more I watch the series, the more it goes up in my esteem. I think Adams didn't like the tv show because the effects and production were a bit naff (except for the animated book sequences, which were excellent). As Blake's 7 fans, of course, we are able to see through the shoddy production values. If we can accept Brian the spider, we can accept Zaphod's second head.

I've been watching the series again recently and my favourite part is the whole Golgafrincham sequence in the last episode. I love Aubrey Morris in the bath and his sudden realisation of his dire plight. Also, the Golgafrincham society is hilarious and quite a potent satire on contemporary society.
the masters of cheese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
When Douglas Adams was asked which incarnation of the HHGG he liked the best it must have caught him by surprise. How else can his "definitely not the TV show" be explained? In episode 3 (with Zaphod convinced they're above Magarathea), for example, I can't help feeling that the TV version is the best!

I like :
The colourful special effects, such as the coloured sea at the beginning, and the way in which the soundtrack/narration goes with it; director Alan J. Bell, thanks!
Making Trillian glamorous
The way Arthur, beyond caring, just wants to know "Is there any tea on this spaceship?" but then cares for some more appreciation for saving their lives.
The response from Magarathea and the ship's computer is cleverly realised.
Coming out of the ship on Magarathea with Arthur and Marvin's exchange. I find it funniest in the TV show.

I don't like :
Mark Wing-Davy could maybe have held his head to his left to make the second head more realistic. (Because when he's talking to Arthur from behind the gate, before he goes down into Magarathea, Zaphod's two heads look quite realistic because you can't see his body!)
the masters of cheese wrote:

and zaphod....never has there been such bad casting for a part hated the double decker heads
I don't think Mark Wing-Davy was miscast at all, but I do agree about the heads!

Great to hear about the first HHGG book's 30th anniversary. I learnt from an article in 'The Big Issue' that an officially sanctioned sixth HHGG book has been written. My instinctive reaction is that they shouldn't try to add to what Douglas Adams was able to give us.

i meant zaphod from the film...thought the tv version was much more convincing!
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, I got them mixed up.

The head amputation in the film went a bit too far too, I thought!
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Film is on BBC2 (again) at 11pm. I'll probably watch it 'till Arthur's cup of tea falls off the table!
Lestat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the radio version many years ago, and for me that's the definitive version, the Tv version was ok, but the radio version wins every time, and I have no intention of watching the film!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: