Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

STAR TREK every week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35. The Doomsday Machine
This week’s episode is ‘The Doomsday Machine’

There’s lots of space images in this timeless episode.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36. Catspaw

This week’s episode is ‘Catspaw’

A Halloween special, this one might just about be enjoyable after dusk on a creepy ‘All Hallows Eve’. The plot is weak. One redeeming thing about this episode is the aliens true form revealed at the end which, in not being remotely humanoid, gives a moment of thought.

Last edited by Ron on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

37. I, Mudd

This week’s episode is ‘I, Mudd’

An online blooper/out-take picture; going to watch this weekend sometime to see if it actually appears!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

38. Metamorphosis

This week’s episode is ‘Metamorphosis’

Very good one but, I have to agree with one of the reviews on startrek.com :
“Alright...so a "cloud-like creature" enters into Commissioner Nancy Hedford's body, and never leaves? It takes Miss Hedford's body and mind for itself, to permanently live in her? Doesn't that strike anyone as...wrong? …”

Sorry, but strange ethics from the writer. Which leaves me flummoxed as to why Kirk, McCoy and Spock all weren’t bothered about the real Nancy Hedford.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

39. Journey to Babel

This week’s episode is ‘Journey to Babel’

This is tremendous! It will totally have you gripped to see what happens because the drama just keeps building up. I’m putting this up there with ‘The Corbomite Maneuver’ and ‘Court Martial’. Preview :
http://www.startrek.com/watch_video/episode-preview-journey-to-babel

Last edited by Ron on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40. Friday's Child

This week’s episode is ‘Friday's Child’

I quite enjoyed the outdoor scenes which took the cast and crew back very near to where the Gorn fight took place in ‘Arena’ :

Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorn rocks are referenced in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, where Bill and Ted are watching the episode "Arena" on TV, and then later they get kidnapped and taken there by their evil robot duplicates...

A quick google reveals the Vasquez Rocks have been in loads of movies and TV ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role_of_the_Vasquez_Rocks_in_entertainment

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

41. The Deadly Years

This week’s episode is ‘The Deadly Years’

The totally unexpected predicament that most of the landing party finds itself in shows how imaginative the programme makers were. Their changing characters are the most believable of any ‘change of character’ Star Trek story, and it’s still got me thinking why this should be so with awesome performances particularly from DeForest Kelley. Leonard Nimoy had the difficult job of portraying the only partially-affected Spock. Star Trek court scenes seem to always make for drama. It’s good that the writer then chooses to have the ones affected working it out; giving a Moral.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

42. Obsession

This week’s episode is ‘Obsession’

The plot is a bit lame. Deforest Kelley again gives a great performance though. I liked when Kirk said not to push their friendship and McCoy replied it was purely a professional matter. He seems an important figure in Series 2.

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43. Wolf in the Fold

This week’s episode is ‘Wolf in the Fold’

Enjoyed watching Spock’s reactions during the computer truth tests; suggesting he is keeping his own opinions to himself (the eyebrow!). As a boy I remember idolizing Spock’s logical attitude and how he kept his cool. I wanted to be Spock.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44. The Trouble With Tribbles

This week’s episode is ‘The Trouble With Tribbles’

An almost scene by scene Review this week.

Chekov gets a little to do in the very first scene but doesn't do too well. Spock questions being able to smell through space! This episode starts as it continues; quite a tongue in cheek one.

Uhura calls from the bridge. For a brief moment it seems there might be a problem, but it doesn't last long.

A great space scene follows approaching the Deep Space Station.

Back to the bridge and it's starting to look like it's not much of a distress call. Still reasonably serious at this point.

Another excellent view of the Space Station - good special effects!

Teleporting to the Space Station. The Official has played in quite a few programmes as the face of beaurocracy. Kirk grudgingly agrees to help but is a bit stroppy. If only he’d stayed that way instead of getting a delirious grin from now on.

The bar of the Space Station and Kirk is relaxing when Uhura and Chekov arrive. It now becomes silly and stays that way to the very end. Exotic characters in the bar, and we're about to meet the Tribbles! Uhura starts the nonsense by picking up the little furry Tribble. The guest actor playing the Official has a biggish role in this one and does it quite well, but.it's as if the other actors (apart from Deforest Keley and Leonard Nimoy) and including those playing the Klingons decided to make it a bit like an amateur dramatic comedy playing for laughs. Oh and the official’s sidekick played it serious too, which was good. The guy that brought the Tribbles has too big a part – it’s almost as if he was supposed to be as important as the character ‘Mudd’ in his episodes – but there it made sense.

Another great scene of the Enterprise and the Space Station; thank goodness.

Kirk and Spock back on board get told by Starfleet to do what the Space Station Official tells them.

A Klingon warship arrives, but it's nothing to worry about as the Klingons are on the Space Station and a chord of corny music lets us know it's a farce this week.

Another great scene of the Space Station.

On the Space Station The Klingon leader is a bit of a clown, so although it's not entirely silly at this point there is the hint of it coming.

I like how the scene in space is continually shown between the action on the two craft.

Tribbles are now on the Enterprise. This is the most surprising bit of the episode. Spock says he's immune to the soothing effect of the Tribbles. When he sees everyone watching him stroking the Tribble he looks away embarrased. Most uncharacteristic and I felt initially surprised that Leonard Nimoy agreed to this scene. But then , in retrospect, he probably let his human side briefly appear, so it was OK.

Bones is examining the Tribbles. Jokes from Kirk about getting a fat Tribble. Again not very like the usual Kirk.

Back on the Space Station and it's gearing up for a bar fight with the Klingons. Just like the sort of thing that happens in The Persuaders. The barman produces Tribbles one by one from below the counter and off goes the silly music. It's really just a comedy this episode. Quite a long scene this one, a bit like a western bar scene too I suppose as the fight is obviously building up. The Klingons are not as hard as I remembered. I thought it would have been better if they hadn't been laughing at this point. The long scene continues with a pointless interlude where the man who first brought the Tribbles aboard steals drinks and avoids having them spilt by those fighting. Slapstick.

Yet another excellent space shot to remind us of the situation.

Back on the Enterprise and Kirk lines up the crew involved in the bar fight, the sole purpose of which is to give some more comedy between Kirk and Scotty. The corny music is back, just as if it were a musical comedy.

The next scene with Spock and Bones and the Tribbles are multiplying. Bones likes the Tribbles better than Spock. It's quite childish because none of these lines are said seriously, which would have been better.

Kirk sits on a Tribble. Slapstick continuing then, and the question posed by the episode title can be explained in Bones line here "they are born pregnant"

There's the space scene again, I wish I'd been counting!

Back on the Space Station and Kirk is too unconcerned about the Official's worries. I wonder if the writer intended these scenes to be played more seriously, as the Official played it.

Back on the Enterprise and Tribbles everywhere. They are worried about the Space Station Tribbles now, but not for long.

Yes, space scene. Possibly the best bits of this episode. I said not worried for long as when Captain Kirk opens the air vent on the Space Station things descend to pure farce as Tribbles are raining on him for the duration of the scene. Kirk is up to his neck in Tribbles. The Official is doing his best to make the episode have a point, but William Shattner has obviously given up trying to make the episode anything other than a comedy.

Next, Tribbles don't like Klingons! The tribbles go bananas when they are anywhere near them. They now discover that the official's batman is a Klingon because they go bananas near him! Sort of serious bit - what's happening? Bones confirms it with his scanning instruments. Bones is playing it serious too - good man. It's William Shattner that didn't get how to play this one – he, and maybe the Klingon leader too, should have played it seriously and let the both sides junior crew characters play the humour. There, I’ve said it. But Kirk's permanently smiling! And did the barman have to have a Tribble on his head for so long? Please end.

The Space Station leaves the Enterprise in another excellent special effects scene.

Captain Kirk wants to know where the furry pests have gone. Transported! One final joke and let's hope next week is back to normal. Oh, maybe it isn’t all that bad.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 . The Gamesters of Triskelion

This week’s episode is ‘The Gamesters of Triskelion’

Excellent writer of this one, Margaret Armen, also wrote 'The Paradise Syndrome' and script edited 'The Cloud Minders'.

Shahna : "How can one live on a flicker of light?"
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46 . A Piece of the Action

This week’s episode is ‘A Piece of the Action’

This immediately reminded me of ‘The City on the Edge of Forever’ which went back to early twentieth century Earth. However the situation in that Series One episode seems far more plausible than the situation in this one: i.e. “A society on a planet that has used a book about gangsters as a sort of bible”. This one is also a bit of comedy.

There have been lots of Star Trek memorabilia. The scene with Kirk and Spock sitting on the car bumper with the boy was chosen for the third plate in the eight-plate 20th anniversary “commemorative plates” set.

It’s scary to think that viewers in 1968 were as close to the gangster era depicted as we are now to 1968.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47 . The Immunity Syndrome

This week’s episode is ‘The Immunity Syndrome’

This is a good episode at a slower pace, with a dramatic scene between McCoy and Spock as the shuttle craft is about to leave.

First I thought that the actor playing Lt. Kyle (John Winston)

was an actor in Space 1999. But it’s Nick Tate of course who plays Alan Carter in Space 1999.

John Winston is still involved with Star Trek. In something called ‘Star Trek: Phase II’ he will play Captain Jefferies. Filming has started already. Quote:
“Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II is an award-winning independent webseries that produces new episodes of Classic Star Trek. Continuing the fourth and fifth seasons of the original series, we film the untold stories of the U.S.S. Enterprise, Captain Kirk, and his crew with the intention of filling in the missing years of the original five year mission, and bridging the gap to Star Trek: The Motion Picture.”
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 . A Private Little War

This week’s episode is ‘A Private Little War’

This one wastes no time in creating a worrying situation with first Spock and then Kirk being seriously injured. I find what happens to them just as enthralling as the war. Kirk is injured by a Mugato. The original script called the creature a "gumato", but DeForest Kelley kept saying it wrong, so it was changed. The credits still retain the original name. (Dan Quayle might add an e!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: