Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

STAR TREK every week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

06 Mudd’s Women

This Weeks episode is ‘Mudd’s Women’

Nice one Gene
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concise entry last week is going to be hard to beat so :

07 What are little girls made of?

This Weeks episode is ‘What are little girls made of?’

‘Sugar and Spice and all things nice
That’s what little girls are made of.
Rats and snails and puppy dogs tails
that’s what little boys are made of.’

Does this Nursery Rhyme have anything to do with this episode of Star Trek, I can’t remember it?

Last edited by Ron on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you can't remember the episode or the rhyme?

I think it's only that first line of the rhyme that really has anything to do with the episode... And it's more about what people generally are made of, I would say...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say I can't remember the episode. It sounds like the title does come from the Nursery Rhyme then and that the 'girls' in the episode are nice, unless it's being sarcastic (and goes and looks up episode guide, which is what I should I have done first!)
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, it's about cybernetics and the validity of emotions, by that meaning whether or not an emotion is valid because it is felt by a "machine".
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the only explanation I can think for the title is the tenuous fact that some of the 'people' in it are androids that have been made - as the boys and girls described in the Rhyme.
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
so the only explanation I can think for the title is the tenuous fact that some of the 'people' in it are androids that have been made - as the boys and girls described in the Rhyme.

That's exactly it.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlakNo1 wrote:
IIRC, it's about cybernetics and the validity of emotions, by that meaning whether or not an emotion is valid because it is felt by a "machine".

Ooh that'd make a good subject for a thread in its own right...
Bseven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool episode.....

on another note...it is apparently the first episode where a "red shirt", gets killed.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

08 Miri

This Weeks episode is ‘Miri’

“Stardate 2713.5
We have made an astonishing discovery, a planet which apparently is an exact duplicate of the earth!” So goes Captain Kirks log at the start of this episode. It’s quite a good one this with the duplicate earth having lots of ‘children’. I recognize one of the children, Jahn, played by Michael J. Pollard.

Maybe you’ve seen him in films too, such as Hannibal Brooks.

Watching the trailer to this episode, which had some good music in it, I thought it might be a good time to consider the Star trek music underscore. Found out that the Star Trek theme tune was composed by Alexander Courage. The tune has a nice build up and I still even like its slightly operatic female vocal accompaniment. Now to the music underscore itself during the episodes. Not every episode had a unique music underscore written for it, but eight composers were contracted to write music during the original series run. Whether an episode was to have new music written for it was mainly the decision of associate producer Robert H. Justman, and so music editor Robert Raff would decide how to create the music underscores for all other episodes from existing music. It was quite a practical and economic way of doing it really I think, and reusing music gave the series kind of theme tunes that were recognisable. I can’t find the monotone one I'm thinking of that is often used to create suspense (di di di di di – di di di di di) and is so good, but you can listen to similar ones, 2.Action Music or 7.Ominous Music on this page
http://soundboard.com/sb/Original_Star_Trek_audio.aspx

Hope you are enjoying this look at Series One; I’m learning lots.

Last edited by Ron on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonk bonk on the head!!!!
Cats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly airs Star Trek at 3am Saturday
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Besides I am listening to Coast to Coast radio @ 3am
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Miri' also contains Shatner's best line of dialogue ever.

"No 'blah blah blah'!!!!"
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

09 Dagger Of The Mind

This Weeks episode is ‘Dagger Of The Mind’

Takes place in a penal colony on the planet Tantalus V. Why this name?

‘Tantalus was the name of a glutton in Greek myth. After he died, the gods punished him for his sins by placing him in a river, near a fruit tree. When he sought water, the river lowered; when he tried for food, the tree bent away from him. He was always hungry and thirsty, but forever denied nourishment. Words such as 'tantalize' come from his name. It is possible that this world, a place of punishment, is also named for this legendary character.’

Dr. Helen Noel, who plays an important part in the episode.

Last edited by Ron on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 The Corbomite Maneuver

This Weeks episode is ‘The Corbomite Maneuver’

I can’t help feeling the cast were far more relaxed when recording this episode. Maybe they were settling down and possibly the writer’s style played a part but, for whatever reason, I thought it made for a more realistic atmosphere. The images of the object in space seen from the bridge are also still very striking and remind me of how futuristic it was in the sixties. It’s quite a straightforward one to follow, and on several occasions Kirk mentions one of their mission statements ‘To seek out alien life’ to support his decisions. It would be a good choice of episode to show what Star Trek is basically all about. There aren’t that many lighter scenes, although I did like when Captain Kirk received the salad (that Bones prescribed) from a hovering female Yeoman, so ending humorously was almost essential.

Human nature is certainly an underlying theme, which struck me first when Spock has nothing to offer but “at chess when one is outmatched the game is over. Checkmate”, and then Captain Kirk remembers another game that Spock doesn’t know, Poker. Bluffing isn’t one of our better characteristics but Kirk uses it as a last resort and it is, I suppose, where the episode title comes from, together with the deceptive maneuver of the eventually unmasked ‘Wizard Of Oz’ alien. The second time there seemed to be a deliberate example of human nature was when Kirk allowed the earlier ‘relieved of duty’ member of crew back on the bridge. Everyone was letting their emotions surface as the countdown to the destruction of the Enterprise drew to a close - everyone except Captain Kirk and of course Spock. Kirk shows the member of the crew compassion. If his behaviour was influenced by, as bones suggested earlier, his resemblance to the younger Kirk - that is a human trait too. The third time that an aspect of human behaviour was demonstrated was when Kirk goes to answer the distress call of the crippled alien ship. Most of the crew on the bridge of the Enterprise, such as Sulu, were concerned about this, but Kirk turns out right.

I feel Kirk had earned a lot of respect from his crew at the end of this one because of all his leadership decisions, and has become a stronger character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: