Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Blake's 7 to return as remake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Blake's 7 to return as remake Reply with quote

I was searching the forum on this latest news regarding the Blake's 7 live action project and was surprised to find out that nobody posted this bit of news: Blake's 7 will return as a remake. But don't take my word for it, check out right here:

Blake's 7 poised for Sky comeback

A new remake of sci-fi series Blake's 7 could soon return to television screens, Sky One has revealed.

The satellite channel has given the green light for the development of two 60-minute scripts for a "potential event series".

Blake's 7, which originally ran on BBC One between 1978 and 1981, followed a gang of rebels fighting an evil federation that ruled the galaxy.
It is not yet known if and when production on the series will begin.
"The time is ripe for a revival of a show that represents the best traditions of the genre, not to mention one of the best-loved and most successful dramas of all time," Elaine Pyke, commissioning editor for drama at Sky One, Two and Three, said.

Sky is working alongside Blake's 7 Productions, a subsidiary of Blake's 7 Media who owns the licence to the show.

The planned new episodes would follow recent re-workings of other sci-fi shows Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and Bionic Woman.

The original Blake's 7 series featured Gareth Thomas as lead character Roj Blake and Paul Darrow as cynical-but-charming computer fraudster Kerr Avon.

In 2003 Darrow was involved in plans to make a new TV mini-series, but it fell through.

A series of Blake's 7 radio dramas featuring Colin Salmon and Daniela Nardini were broadcast last year on BBC7.

See link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7364663.stm

I must admit that I have mix feelings about this. On one hand, remakes don't usually do well and tend to be inferior to their original counterparts. On the other hand, some remakes have been known to make the exception such as the excellent Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica which is far superior to the original series. I really wanted a continuation of the B7 original series but the people at B7 Media Productions have been promising that for many years and have not delivered. Here's hoping that the remake does well, that is, if it ever gets produced.
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with comparing it to BSG is that the original Galactica was near total trash while the original B7 wasn't.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlakNo1 wrote:
The problem with comparing it to BSG is that the original Galactica was near total trash while the original B7 wasn't.

There is still something cool about the original centurions though.
Whitestar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlakNo1 wrote:

Quite true. LOL. But I'll always treasure the original BSG show for nostalgic purposes since it was a part of my youth.

Cockroach Boy wrote:

Yes, I'm glad someone else agrees with me about those old chrome walking toasters! I guess the writers of BSG Razor decided to incorporate them because they'd figured that it would be awesome to see them with advanced computer technology.
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
BlakNo1 wrote:

Totally, I'm glad they were brought back in BSG Razor.

I was 11 when the original Galactica came out so it has nostalgia value for me too.
dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original BSG had its moments. If they'd been focused it could have been really good. But nostalgic value for me too - fanatic about it when younger as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: