Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Vila Meets Gan - New audio adventure
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Vila Meets Gan - New audio adventure Reply with quote

A press release issued today by B7 productions:

For Immediate Release
REF: B7P BLAKE’S 7 EARLY YEARS AUDIO_UK08
DATE: TUESDAY, APRIL 22, 2008
VILA RETURNS
- Michael Keating to reprise Cult TV role for Audio -
www.blakes7.com

LONDON, April 22, 2008: UK-based independent media production company, B7 Productions, has announced a series of prequel audio adventures based on the cult television classic, BLAKE’S 7.

Following the success of last years audio re-imagining of BLAKE’S 7 (broadcast on BBC7 over Christmas) and thirty years since the dramatic and shocking finale of the original series, MICHAEL KEATING (Blake’s 7, EastEnders) will reprise his most popular role as the cowardly thief, Vila Restal, the only character to appear in all 52 episodes of the original series. The new audio incarnation of Olag Gan played by OWEN AARONOVITCH (Coronation Street) also stars.

BLAKE’S 7 – THE EARLY YEARS will be a prequel series of stories exploring the origins of key BLAKE’S 7 characters prior to them meeting rebel leader, Roj Blake. The first of these prequel stories “When Vila met Gan” has been written by lead writer, Ben Aaronovitch (‘Classic’ Doctor Who, Jupiter Moon) and explores the history and enduring friendship between Gan and Vila, two of the most unlikely rebels to take up arms against the Federation.

Future episodes will feature the characters of Avon (written by Ben Aaronovitch), Jenna (written by Simon Guerrier), Travis (written by James Swallow), Cally (written by Marc Platt) and of course the series wouldn’t be complete without a story exploring the origins of the rebel’s arch nemesis Supreme Commander Servalan who we meet as a young, ambitious, cadet officer with ‘family connections’.

An ‘extended’ special edition CD (and download) of “When Vila met Gan” will be released for retail on 2 June 2008, with a re-cut version to be broadcast on BBC7 in the summer.

Michael Keating says of his return to the role of Vila: “It's exciting to return to the character of Vila especially in this format and to discover the origins of his friendship with Gan.”

Audio Director, Andrew Mark Sewell comments: “Vila was one of the most popular characters of the original series and we’re absolutely delighted to welcome Michael back to a role that contributed in no small part to the show’s enduring popularity.”

Sewell adds: “From the moment Michael Keating uttered his first lines it was as if we’d been teleported back thirty years – that’s the beauty of audio and of course the energy and enthusiasm which Michael brings to the role.”

- ends -
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.
Moggy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. What a u-turn up for the books.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m more interested in KERR shags VILA! When is that coming out?
dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a load of horsepoo to me.

Whilest B7 never really made any clear definitions of who knew who prior to their adventures, really there was the perception that nobody had really met anybody else prior to being sent to Cygnus Alpha together.

This is equivalent to poor fanfic at best.

Why do they feel the need to do this? My hunch is the audio they've already done has failed to ignite the interest they require to get their tv show off the ground so they've roped in Keating to lend credibility to their cause.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"WEll now," - Despite "MIKE" being involved with this production - I won't be getting it for the same reason's I haven't heard/bought the other "B7" audio's.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Rojblake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested in hearing more about this. However, I do agree with others here that there was no evidance that any of the characters knew each other prior to teaming up with Blake. Though if any of them did knew each other it was likely Vila and Gan.
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojblake wrote:
I will be interested in hearing more about this. However, I do agree with others here that there was no evidance that any of the characters knew each other prior to teaming up with Blake. Though if any of them did knew each other it was likely Vila and Gan.

Likewise, there was no evidence that they didn't, apart from Vila and Jenna. They obviously at least knew of each other as we saw from the exchange between them and with Blake in the prison cell before being shipped to Cygnus Alpha.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there's no proof of it, my impression of Gan actually was he was quite an innocent chap until that guard did whatever to his wife. I don't see him as someone (normally) associating with thieves. Still, why would a federation guard visit his house without cause? Where there's smoke...?

I think bringing about the idea there were prior relationships between crew members ruins the romance of how they all met.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they put a limiter in his brain for only one murder? Didn't Avon kill someone also? Why doesn't he have a limiter?

Anyway,I'm looking forward to this.I just wish they could have done it while the late David Jackson was alive.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone really interested in what MAS is doing with B7? Answers on a postcard ........
NaomiJane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Following the success of last years audio re-imagining of BLAKE’S 7

*scratches head* Um exactly Who are they trying to kid [/quote]

"I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later."
NaomiJane

Quote:

*scratches head* Um exactly Who are they trying to kid[/i]

"I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later."
NaomiJane

Quote:

*scratches head* Um exactly Who are they trying to kid

clanger68

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame things were so screwed up at the beginning with this company.

Doing something like this, with the original cast wherever possible. and then leading into their re-imagining tales would seem to have been a more sensible thing to do.

Ho-hum, hindsight is such a wonderful thing!

I've listened to the new audios, I actually enjoyed them, they're not 'my' Blake's 7, but they're pretty good!

I'm really looking forward to the Vila/Gan story, would rather have heard the Jenna/Vila origin tale but you can't have everything!

I just wish David Jackson was still around to take a shot at fleshing out Gan, like he always fought for on the TV show.

I'm looking forward to hearing Michael Keating reprise the role, about time to.....................Go Vila!!

Can't pass judgement till I've heard it.

I really, really hope they persuade Jackie Pearce to revisit Servalan, to explore what made her tick, that would be fascinating.

I'm guessing Paul Darrow won't work with B7 media, I hope I'm completely wrong and they come to some sort of understanding, that would be too much!!!

Cheers,

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: