Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The Mark Of Kane
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: The Mark Of Kane Reply with quote

Just got a chance to listen to it.Is this considered canon?

(Changed cannon to canon)

Last edited by thunda on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mark Of Kane Reply with quote

thunda
Quote:
Just got a chance to listen to it.Is this considered cannon?

Being "FAN" produced rather than "BBC"/commercially produced - technically, NO. Still, it's better than some audios efforts!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mark Of Kane Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
thunda
Quote:
Just got a chance to listen to it.Is this considered cannon?

Being "FAN" produced rather than "BBC"/commercially produced - technically, NO. Still, it's better than some audios efforts!!!

Thank you for responding.Although it was nicely put together and I enjoyed it,I'm glad it's not canon.I'd like to think that Gan is not a serial killer and Jenna is somewhere safe raising Blake's child .

Would you,or anyone else,know what's considered canon in the B7 universe? Is it only BBC produced products or Terry Nation (or his estate) approved material?
dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tricky one that.

Aside from the 4 seasons of tv you have -

*) The 2 BBC produced audio adventures. They are the most qualified to be canon but their poor quality generally makes you wish they weren't.

They were written by someone with no connection to the tv series so for me the link is tenuous.

*) Tony Atwood's book Afterlife - evidently this was "official" given it arose from discussions with the BBC and could even have formed the basis for a 5th series but many fans weren't too keen on it.

You can read the author's explanation of how the book came to be here -

http://www.attwood.me.uk/afterlife.htm

and make up your own MIND.

*) Tony Attwood also did a programme guide (which I haven't read) but I think it contains some background information on the B7 universe which either may or may not be contentious.

*) Paul Darrow's book on Avon that occurs prior to the tv series - Avon - A Terrible Aspect. I don't know where this sits in officialdom. The book is not bad, but it has flaws and I think fans are quite divided on it.

*) Novelisations of various episodes -

Blake's 7, by Trevor Hoyle

Blake's 7: Project Avalon, by Trevor Hoyle

Blake's 7: Scorpio Attack, by Trevor Hoyle

I've only read Scorpio Attack and it didn't divert too much from the tv telling from memory.

*) The new B7media audio adventures - they own Blake 7 now - but how does a remake of a story fit in as canon?

Is that the lot? Discuss...
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus there are the Kaldor City CD's and the BBC novel Corpse Marker, which seek to tie the Doctor Who and B7 continuties.
clanger68

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and make up your own MIND.

Very good!

I guess you could also throw the Marvel monthly comic strip and text stories into the mix, it was an 'official' publication.

IMO, the fantastic 52 TV stories are the only true 'canon' stories in the B7 universe.

However I really enjoy most of the offshoots and fit them into the 'canon' as and where I want!

I guess you really have to define what 'canon' is.

Cheers,

Andy.
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Logic Of Empire, IMO the best of the audios.

I still have to get around to listening to Storm Mine.
clanger68

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't forget Logic Of Empire, IMO the best of the audios.

Aye, t'is very fine indeed.

I like Travis, The Final Act as well. Peter Miles is very good.

Cheers,

Andy
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard this. Damn good I though, with excellent sound design and a chance for Croucher to play Travis how he probably wanted. Much more brutal and visceral than the TV series - in it's way this is as different to TV B7 as the Letts plays, but far superior to those radio outings.

I can't see any reason why this couldn't be considered canon. It's obviously a fan piece rather than one aimed at a wider audience, but there's nothing in terms of character or continuity that contradicts what we know. It's just that this is a part of the B7 universe where people swear and cut each other!

Thanks to BC for selling me the tape!

Logic of Empire next.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought stating that mutoids are able to remember their past lives opens up a whole can of worms.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I thought stating that mutoids are able to remember their past lives opens up a whole can of worms.

Mmm..it does make them a bit less chilling, doesn't it?
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what sort of memories they have! What might drive someone to want to be a mutoid anyway? Perhaps the very promise of having their memory erased!

(I haven't heard the audio drama, so I don't know if they're *meant* to be able to remember...?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new audios relate to the canon of the TV Blakes 7 in the same way that the new Battlestar Galactica ties in with the original.

In some ways I'm tempted to say that 'The Sevenfold Crown' & 'The Syndeton Experiment' are canon as they are official BBC productions and have some of the original cast, but some of it just doesn't seem right - the recasting of Dayna and Soolin, the 'hyperspace' technology and writer being more suited for Doctor Who than Blakes 7.

'The Mark of Kane', 'Travis: The Final Act' & 'The Logic of Empire' have a fairly valid claim to canon - the scripts were very much in keeping with the cynical and bleak tone of the series and some of the ideas were credible. But like someone else said, I don't like the idea of Gan being a serial killer or Avon being the only one to get off Gauda Prime alive.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of Gan being a serial killer is one that's been kicking about in fan fic for a while. I've got my own ideas but I want to write the fic first.

We've only got his testimony about his crimes and knowing what we do about Federation memory implantation techniques and tampering, how do we know that Gan is even telling the truth?

Watch Breakdown again. It's very possible that Gan's personality when the Limiter malfunctions is the real Gan, the Limiter keeping the pscho impulses under control as well as a false personality.

Avon being the only one to escape GP? Why is that such a bad idea? Given that the vast majority of PGPs* usually start with Servalan turning up to claim her prize, it isn't quite so bad.

*About 99.9% of the ones I've read have the same premise and its getting to the point where even the good ones bore me with the writer's lack of imagination.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
thunda wrote:

Mmm..it does make them a bit less chilling, doesn't it?

It does indeed open up a can of worms and a lot of very interesting fic could arise from it. My own view is that the conditioning would keep the memories from the conscious mind of a mutoid but not the subconcious. Should the conditioning break down for whatever reason, those memories could resurface. In many ways, it's even more chilling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: