Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Blake's 7 audio plays
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Blake's 7 audio plays Reply with quote

I have just received the following press release from B7 Productions:

For Immediate Release

REF: B7P PROD BLAKE’S 7 AUDIO_UK06
DATE: MONDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2006

BLAKE'S 7 REBORN
www.blakes7.com

LONDON, December 11, 2006: UK-based independent media production company, B7 Productions[1], has announced the return of the cult television classic, BLAKE’S 7 as a series of original audio dramas.

Taking full advantage of BLAKE’S 7 (circa 1978-1981) cult status and enduring popularity, B7 Productions has produced a series of original audio adventures based on the format and characters created by the late Terry Nation. The broadcast platform is currently under negotiation.

In what the producers promise to be a radical new re-interpretation of Terry Nation’s original series, DEREK RIDDELL (No Angels, Doctor Who) heads an all new cast as the eponymous rebel leader, Roj Blake. COLIN SALMON (best known for his film roles in James Bond, Alien vs. Predator and Resident Evil), assumes the iconic role of Kerr Avon with DANIELA NARDINI (This Life) as the rebel’s arch nemesis Supreme Commander Servalan.

Other cast members include CRAIG KELLY (Queer as Folk), CARRIE DOBRO (Babylon 5); MICHAEL PRAED (Robin of Sherwood), DOUG BRADLEY (Hellraiser) and INDIA FISHER (Doctor Who).

BLAKE’S 7 will be produced as a series of all new 36 x 5-minute audio dramas based on the original cult series broadcast on the BBC in the 1970’s. The audio adventures were recorded last week and will debut in spring 2007. A special ‘extended’ CD edition will be released for retail the month following broadcast.

Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt and James Swallow wrote the audio plays based on the format and characters created by the late Terry Nation, one of Britain’s foremost television writers of the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Simon Moorhead, Executive Producer, B7P comments: “Representing the best traditions of the original television series these all-new audio adventures will be a fresh and dramatic interpretation of this much loved cult classic. Whilst they are intended to appeal to fans of the original series, equally we hope they’ll capture the imagination of the next generation of fans who love science fiction and enjoy compelling radio drama”

Audio Director, Andrew Mark Sewell believes that radio is an ideal medium for reviving a show that represents the best traditions of the genre. “In the 1970’s, BLAKE’S 7 heralded a new creed of television science fiction. Radio represents the ideal medium to re-introduce BLAKE’S 7 and to remind people what a rich and imaginative world Terry Nation created.”

Sewell adds: “With the superb cast we’ve brought together we’re set to deliver a compelling but very different take on the original show, with the added benefit of no wobbly sets or dodgy special effects.”

About … Blake’s 7

In the original series (circa 1978-1981), Terry Nation, one of Britain’s foremost television writers of the 1960’s and 1970’s, gave the world a vision of the future, a future where the galaxy is ruled by the iron fist of a galactic federation, in which freedom and justice are things of the past. Into this vision he cast a small band of outlaws, who by pure chance found themselves in control of the most powerful space vessel in the known galaxy – the Liberator. Led by the enigmatic Roj Blake this group of rebels would strike at the very heart of the Federation and change the face of science fiction television forever.

To this day, BLAKE’S 7 retains a cult following second only to “Doctor Who”.

About … B7 Productions

B7 Productions is a creative partnership that develops and produces original programming and formats for radio, television and film. Following its debut feature “Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont” (UK Producer for Claremont Films) B7P is currently working on its next feature, the psychological thriller, “Twisted Love”. Future projects include the one-off factual documentary “Best Evidence”, a radio sitcom “The Victorians” and the much anticipated live action revival of the cult SF classic “Blake’s 7”. For more information, visit www.b7media.com
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No original cast members I see!
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s a bit weird having the same characters we know and love being voiced by someone else - surely it should have been a completely new cast and take on the B7 legend?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I queried whether they were really only five minutes long and got the following reply:

They are indeed 5-minute episodic instalments but will be released as 3 x
60-minutes on CD. When you hear them you'll see that the format works well
in both durations and the pacing is terrific.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, great cast!
Rojblake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a remake then??
Rojblake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This if from the Blakes7.com website:

In a studio in West London, a cast and crew of renowned and talented actors have revived Blake and the famous rebels after more than 25 years.

The new Audio Adventures of Blake's 7, now in post production, introduce new listeners to the very beginning of the saga, and will be a fresh twist on a classic legend for fans of the original series. The first scene to be recorded, aptly enough, was Blake waking from suspended animation to be given a dangerous mission by his captors...

------

suspended animation??????? A remake ignoring what Terry Nation did then. Why not just write a new sf series then. I find this whole thing stinky.
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They expanded on what they told me about the episode length:

In fact they make up 3 x 60 minute adventures or rather 1 x 180 minute story. However we are embracing moden technology so their first outing will be in 5 minute episodes that will be streamed. So in fact it is an episodical serial. Not 36 individual stories lasting 5 minutes each

pna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - so Blake's not dead then? Funny I could have sworn ...

Think someone is just cashing in on the Blake's 7 name.

I also think the bit about broadcast length sounds like they havn't made up their minds or are being deliberately vague - they have 3 hours of material, and they will cut it into chunks to suit whoever buys it.

I assume we have to wait until someone (and it can only realistically be the BBC can't it?) offers to buy the series and broadcast it, or they get no offers and put it straight to CD.
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hoping some of the original cast might do some more Blakes 7 drama and it surprises me if the BBC don't want to hold on to Blakes 7 themselves as they are doing so successfully with Doctor Who.

Given that it looks like this spin-off is going ahead I always thought featuring Blake during his absence in S3 and most of S4 would be one way to extend the Blakes 7 story but maybe this idea of a kind of prequel 'from the very beginning of the saga' makes more sense considering a new audience.
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blakes 7: Legacy

Thirty years ago, Roj Blake and his band of rebel convicts failed to topple the corrupt Federation. History has been rewritten and Nu Earth born – a technological marvel and a beacon of hope in the galaxy.

Christina Tala, a law-enforcer sworn to uphold the ideals of her perfect society, discovers that the technological utopia of Nu Earth is built on the suffering of billions.

Tala unwittingly unravels a conspiracy that reaches the highest echelons of society, the origins of which date back to the time of the original, and legendary, Blake’s 7. She chooses to fight for freedom against tyranny, and a rebellion long thought dead is reborn…
Cats

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah Humbug and some stuff i can't post here or Simon
will show me the cyber door...

Paul Darrow is Avon is Paul Darrow
There can be only one with the voice of a fallen Angel

Last edited by Cats on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still skeptical about how well this will turn out, especially since they seem to be intent on rewriting the original story.
dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-imagined = Insult

in my books.

I won't be listening.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if this is all just an elaborate wind up! I'm sure they knew doing a remake would wind people up - especially all the ladies who are always telling us there can only ever be one Avon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: