Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

FUTURE FORUM MEETINGS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Conventions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

FUTURE FORUM MEETINGS
Should Forum Members only attend these meetings?
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Should Non-Forum Members also attend these meetings?
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Not bothered who attends these Forum meetings?
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

RichardWho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the Bristol meet up last Nov had been Forum only, then only 3 people - myself, Steve and Gemma would have attended. Fortunately, us 3 have a more commonsense approach to these gatherings, so we welcome'd all comers (including Winnie's Linux friends!)

As to the question of SPACE, well the Birmingham venue was chosen becuase it is a large pub!
white afro in space

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
I think you should bear in mind the following:-

1) The majority of forum members are OK with non-forum members attending

2) If you have the meeting at a public place, such as a pub, you can't stop non-forum members attending

3) If only forum members attended, hardly anyone would come since for a number of reasons , a lot of the members of this forum are unable to travel very far afield. This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone, merely a statement of fact.

4) It occurs to me that these meetings are a good way of recruiting people to the forum. After all, not everyone has limitless time to go on all the forums there are out there. In my experience of going to conventions I've met loads of people who might join this forum if they knew of its existence

At the risk of dragging this out (yet a post in another thread has led me to conclude that one side is not hearing the other side)

1) I would say that is true of everyone on the forum. Yet this does not mean to say that everyone is OK with non-forum members at EVERY forum meet-up.

2) Naturally. I'm sure that forum members have the maturity to deal with this situation in a friendly, welcoming manner whenever it occurs.

3) This is a risk taken-on by whoever is organising the meet. The people organisng these meets are usually those who have been to a few, they know the score.

4) That is a fair comment, yet EVERY meeting doesn't need to serve as part of some recruitment drive. There are conventions, the Beer and B7 meets and some other forum meets that are more 'open'. In this debate, the 'forum-only' crowd are only asking that SOME meets are forum only. What is wrong with that? This is not some 'all or nothing' type debate. There is a middle ground which has been best expressed in this thread by Cockroach Boy just a few posts up.
Bseven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
Maybe we need a kind of agreed 'etiquette' for inviting non forum members.

If people are specific at the beginning as to what kind of event they wanted to organise and someone wants to change that, they PM the 'organiser' to ask if its okay? So say for example Val organised an event that was Forum Members only, if anyone wanted to invite some non-forum people they let her know first?

Like I've said before, I don't have a problem with non forum members showing up to events - hell, with me they can't get a word in edgeways anyway - but I can also see why people favour the smaller events where they will be meeting those they've already spoken to online.

This sounds like an Intellegent solution..... (who would of thought , it could happen on this thread)

I would just like to point out a few things for those who may not know...

1, I was in the chat room with, Zen, BCand Val when this meeting was
first suggested......the tone of the discussion was for a cosy forum meet
up.. ... which is why I can see why val and BC were so upset when it
was made open to other forums....

..................BUT I dont remember discussing numbers or other forums........ Therefore leaving room for ambiguity on who was welcome.

I agree with Roachy............when a gathering is held, it should be announced if it is for forum members only or open to all...... .

(I am curious about those meetings people used to have in there homes though, quite interesting if bucket loads of strangers were filling peoples houses)
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right sorted. it's to be "At the discretion of the organiser" now S.T.F.U
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bseven wrote:
Cockroach Boy wrote:

If people are specific at the beginning as to what kind of event they wanted to organise and someone wants to change that, they PM the 'organiser' to ask if its okay? So say for example Val organised an event that was Forum Members only, if anyone wanted to invite some non-forum people they let her know first?

Like I've said before, I don't have a problem with non forum members showing up to events - hell, with me they can't get a word in edgeways anyway - but I can also see why people favour the smaller events where they will be meeting those they've already spoken to online.

This sounds like an Intellegent solution..... (who would of thought , it could happen on this thread)

..................BUT I dont remember discussing numbers or other forums........ Therefore leaving room for ambiguity on who was welcome.

I agree with Roachy............when a gathering is held, it should be announced if it is for forum members only or open to all...... .

(I am curious about those meetings people used to have in there homes though, quite interesting if bucket loads of strangers were filling peoples houses)

I suggest if people want to have meetings for just their clique of forum buddies they do so at their private houses; otherwise those at pubs are open to all.

I am intrigued as to exactly how you define a forum member. After all this forum is open to all to join. So what's the criteria? It seems to me those who want to restrict it are making up some arbitrary criteria and want a two tier forum.
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of consideration for other peoples wishes/feelings has now become overwhelming. Did you stop to think that maybe some people are shy, & shy to admit it? Did you stop to think that it's easier for these people to get to know someone through the chatroom or the board first? To avoid what, in my own childhood experience, was an almost intense physical pain upon being around "strangers"
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:
The lack of consideration for other peoples wishes/feelings has now become overwhelming.

Really? Well given that the majority vote was FOR non forum members, I'm not sure who's feelings I'm hurting. I suspect only 3 people, one of whom has never even attended any of these meet ups!

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:

Did you stop to think that maybe some people are shy, & shy to admit it? Did you stop to think that it's easier for these people to get to know someone through the chatroom or the board first? To avoid what, in my own childhood experience, was an almost intense physical pain upon being around "strangers"

Well I'm sorry that meeting "strangers" causes pain to your delicate constitution, but just as you cant make an omellette without breaking a few eggs, so it's a case of "No pain, no gain!" in these circumstances!
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:
The lack of consideration for other peoples wishes/feelings has now become overwhelming. Did you stop to think that maybe some people are shy, & shy to admit it? Did you stop to think that it's easier for these people to get to know someone through the chatroom or the board first? To avoid what, in my own childhood experience, was an almost intense physical pain upon being around "strangers"

I agree 100% with this sentiment!
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
THE_LIBERATOR wrote:

I agree 100% with this sentiment!

Ditto.

Richard - it saddens me that you can't see the other side of the story. To say that a pub is 'open to all' is a silly way of putting it. Yes, of course anyone can turn up at a pub, but there is a vast difference between people turning up at a pub and a meet being actively advertised. We might just as well say that I will advertise it on another forum I am on (completely B7 and sci-fi unrelated) because it is a pub and anyone is welcome to turn up!

Please can you not just see that at certain meetings we would like to restrict it to people we have built up a relationship with by conversing with them on this forum?

We are not saying this should be for EVERY meet up, just certain ones. And to say that they should be in someone's house is again a silly thing to say. Why should one person have the headache of hosting a get-together when a pub is more convenient for most people anyway.

Sorry, I'm probably not putting this very well - I am not great with the written word.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that we did vote on this and the majority said they didn't mind it being open up to other people. It is a bit off then for one of the minority to kick up a fuss when I act on that vote and invite other people. I was just doing what the majority wanted.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bseven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
Bseven wrote:
Cockroach Boy wrote:

I suggest if people want to have meetings for just their clique of forum buddies they do so at their private houses; otherwise those at pubs are open to all.

I am intrigued as to exactly how you define a forum member. After all this forum is open to all to join. So what's the criteria? It seems to me those who want to restrict it are making up some arbitrary criteria and want a two tier forum.

I should think its very obvious who a forum member is Richard...if you have joined Louise and Simons Blakes 7 fan site then that makes you
a member.........

.........if you havent joined then clearly your a guest..... and need to be shown where to sign up....

I'm sick of this bickering..........Its pathetic......If I spend all my time tomorrow chatting to Franky and Vero... ..(who this gathering was planned for...) asking them about Holland......and some .non forum members feel neglected...then I am sorry in advance....Franky and Vero are back off to Holland and I may not get a chance to meet them ever again....

So here's hoping for fine weather,... plenty of seats.......and lots of time to meet everyone and have a few drinks....
Bseven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:
The point is that we did vote on this and the majority said they didn't mind it being open up to other people. It is a bit off then for one of the minority to kick up a fuss when I act on that vote and invite other people. I was just doing what the majority wanted.

I am sorry Steve but the survey question, and 3 possible answers, was not very representative of how people really feel, which is why we are having all this bickering.......its too late to change anything now for the meeting tomorrow......so we best make the best of it... , I for one am looking forward to meeting franky and Vero...

The Pol questions are not excactly written to obtain reliable statistical information.....three closed answers..."..Yes..No...dont mind.." the fact that the majority went for dont mind..is
a big clue, that the choice of possible answers were not reliable and left room for massive ambiguity.

Also, only 16 people voted in total...thats not representative of the whole forum...thats a very small %

I voted for dont mind.......cus I dont want to stop people bringing friends along..... and on some occaisions a big crowd is welcome......but this whole thing about no flexability is iritating as hell......

.......we need a new survey...with more possible answers....please take into account that we are all complex and changable, with varying degrees of social confidence. and only human after all......
Cats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the states we do have meet ups in private homes,
it's a pot luck event everyone brings something to eat or drink,
else we pass the hat and order from a take away...
Everyone helps with the tidy up and I have never known of a
member's home being disrespected...

We always had an open door policy and was always invited to bring
a new fan. However we were responsible for who we brought along.
Also, we always belonged to the one group and did not mix it up with
other groups or forums...
I was introduced as 'fresh meat' and invited to future meets.

I have been on the fence going back and forth between the posts and
there is one common denominator here.
These meet ups were started as forum meet ups by forum members.
Their wishes should be respected.
Perhaps a white flag committee could be established to keep the peace.
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats wrote:
I have been on the fence going back and forth between the posts and
there is one common denominator here.
These meet ups were started as forum meet ups by forum members.
Their wishes should be respected.

I agree, and as the poll shows the majority of forum members are happy with other people attending.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are happy for other people to attend. Noone is denying that. The poll, as much as I think it is worded badly, confirms it.

People are less happy about the meeting being advertised elsewhere, thus changing the meeting from one that celebrates this forum in particular to one that celebrates Sci-Fi or B7 generally.

The poll does not reflect the difference between these two positions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Conventions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: