Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Your Favourite Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your Favourite Season
Season 1
35%
 35%  [ 12 ]
Season 2
32%
 32%  [ 11 ]
Season 3
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Season 4
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 34

Mary Lou Jensen

Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I di vote first, because if it wasn't for the first season I'd never have found the show. But I liked them all in different ways. Third was the one I wrote the most fiction for.
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Season 2. It's still got the original cast, but with more interesting clothes. Also, I like the whole Star One story arc, in fact the 2nd season concentrates best on what it might be like to lead a rebellion against a corrupt authoritarian Federation.

The major drawback of Season 2 is Travis II. In my mind, I try to forget he's supposed to be Space Commander Travis and is actually a separate character altogether.
the masters of cheese

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think of s1and 2 as sort of linked so i love those best...i like some of the eps in both 3 and four....but four had warlord.... lol...although s3 had moloch....but that ep just cracks me up
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What episode do you think is the worse then?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said Animals straight off, but it's just dull, really. Moloch, on the other hand, is a nasty piece of mysoginistic horribleness that I have no qualms about voting it as the worst episode of the lot.

I *know* these things happen, I just don't want it in my living room and certainly not as entertainment.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we've crossed swords on this before, Janov. But just because the episode has misogyny in it, it doesn't mean the episode is pro-misogyny.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro or anti, it's just not an episode I'm comfortable watching. Let's just agree to disagree, eh?
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair call. But surely these are 'discussion' boards rather than 'opinion' boards and are thus an arena for the quickly fading art of the polite, sometimes impassioned, exchange of ideas?

Don't you have any feelings for the female character's plight? (Yes, I know, despite the laughable, over-the-top, cliches the 'baddies' trot out to display their bad-guyness).

Don't you feel alarmed that despite Doran's good-natured humour and friendliness, he's a borderline psycopath in his treatment of women? Mind you, I find it hilarious that Servalan appears to almost roll her eys at Doran once the great gift is masculine power, i.e. Vila, is thrown her way.

While I deplore, deride, and possibly derail on the grounds of indoctrination any program that were to be overtly moralistic (now boys and girls, what did we learn today?), the demonstration of good moral conduct by citing examples of the bad is surely a valid technique in the art of storytelling.
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the philosophical in all things - eventually your head blows up.

Sorry just joking.

I'm just stepping in here (can't help it coz I used to be a moderator on another board) to say as both points of view have already been stated elsewhere on the board, hasn't the impassioned exchange of ideas already happened?

Sometimes impassioned discussion can make others not involved with the discussion very uncomfortable to witness.

I applaud any technique that tells a story, I love the idea of using someone's mind against them to program them to do your will (in a book/tv show/film etc) because the human psyche is a fascinating thing and all that.

I find films about the Nazi's interesting (they totally outrage me, but their total conviction that what they were doing is an interesting thing to try and understand). My sister will never watch movies about the Nazi's as she gets too wound up, upset and angry about it - it's something that happened in that past and there is nothing she can do to change it.

I accept her point of view and I would never tell her that this point of view is incorrect because it's a valid technique for telling a story. It's her point of view - I respect that and let her have it.

But sometimes a storyline is just bad because its bad - nothing to do with the story subject/technique etc, just because the story writing is bad. Or the acting is bad. Of the budget means the props/monster/whatever is bad - Moloch I think is all of the above.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Lou Jensen wrote:
I'm just stepping in here (can't help it coz I used to be a moderator on another board) to say as both points of view have already been stated elsewhere on the board, hasn't the impassioned exchange of ideas already happened?

Sometimes impassioned discussion can make others not involved with the discussion very uncomfortable to witness.

There is a marked difference between the mere statement of two opposing ideas being presented in a 'conversation' where either idea does not give any ground to the other, and the working exchange between the two which aims to bring out a new, third position that people can agree upon. This is how ideas and knowledge evolve.

The example of your sister where she 'blocks out' films about nazism is to purposefully cut off access to a particlar realm of experience. Now, of course people are free to choose this type of (in)action. But surely, for a more rounded, complete human experience, one should instead be open to new, foreign or unfamiliar ideas and experiences.

Provided discussion is conducted in a proper manner favouring true exchange and synthesis of ideas and doesn't descend into the mere statement of ideas, and the majority of intenet 'discussion' seems to fall into the latter category, then surely there can be nothing uncomfortable about witnessing that from a reasoned perspective.
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
surely there can be nothing uncomfortable about witnessing that from a reasoned perspective.

But obviously, as it has been stated here by both Janov Seldon and myself, there is.

Me shutting up now.

So back on subject.

Blake's Seven Episodes and your favourite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. I'm not one to talk anyway given that I refuse to watch the S1 episode, Cygnus Alpha, because Brian Blessed offends my sensibilities of good taste.
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here - just off the top of my head - are my favourite episodes from each season (which will probably change on another day).

Season 1 - Mission to Destiny (Agatha Cristie in Space)

Season 2 - Gambit

Season 3 - Rumours of Death (at the moment...this changes daily for season 3)

Season 4 - Blake (I kind of hate this one at the same time as liking it)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine would be:

S1 - Seek - Locate - Destroy, with Project Avalon a close second.

S2 - Star One

S3 - City at the edge of the World. Given that I hate S3 with a passion, there's only three, perhaps four episodes that I can watch. This one tops that bunch easily.

S4 - Blake. Too many good ones to choose from, but as this provides such an excellent jump off point for many writers (even if 99% depressingly come up with the same sodding ideas) and it's a superb ending for the series in a grim 1984 way.
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I was told at work by my sympathetic workmates the day after Blake - "It's only a TV show!" - yeah like they didn't get upset by stuff that happened in their shows (or if their football team lost). Didn't seem to occur to them that I realised it was a TV show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: