Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The Sevenfold Crown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: The Sevenfold Crown Reply with quote

Everyone says this doesn't 'feel' like B7. Here are what I think are some of the reasons for this -

1. The Ending. The idea that the crown is a 'false prize' is in itself not too far from B7 on tv. But the way it's done here is all wrong. It's Letts re-ussing the idea from Planet of the Spiders that what the villain seeks is so powerful it destroys them. In B7 objectives were more likely to be hollow or a front for something else. Letts is writing from a spiritualist Buhdhist point of view wheras Blake is pure existentialism.

2. Avon and his clone. Again we've saw this sort of thing in the TV series. But Letts seems to suggest that this experience has a profound effect for him and that he's 'never felt better'. This simply cannot be squared with the rest of his behaviour in Season 4, especially as this seems to be set just after Stardrive. Also Avon already has a brother and so it makes no sense for him to refer to his clone as such

3. Avon's ripping the throat from a tiger line. Total nonsense. Avon has little interest in brute force unless it is forced upon him. Battling with nature just isn't him and if he had to kill a tiger he'd do it with a gun.

4.Soolin - Badly re-cast and played as wetter than a fish. There is none of the cyncism and flipancy or hints of vulnerability that Glynis gave the character.

5. Dayna's reaction to Servalan. Even Animals didn't get it as wrong as this. Dayna despises Servalan and would never be as polite to her as she is here.

6. Servalan does not say 'ducky'. She is not 85!!
Rojblake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrant and perhaps Vila are the only characters that come out of this badly done story with any sort of credit. They alone seem most like their s4 characters - apart from Vila's eating disorder that is.

It was a missed chance to do something great, why oh why Letts was allowed to do what he did is beyond me.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe , but Steven Pacey`s voice sounded different , whereas PD sounded exactly like the TV series - but unfortunately his character was badly written for -all that Tearing the throat from a Tiger with my bare hands nonsense -preposterous !
inge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy said:
Quote:

Servalan does not say 'ducky'. She is not 85!!

ROFLMAO

Maybe I should buy the tape just to hear her say 'ducky'
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inge wrote:
Cockroach Boy said:
Quote:

Servalan does not say 'ducky'. She is not 85!!

ROFLMAO

Maybe I should buy the tape just to hear her say 'ducky'

It's worth listening to Sevenfold Crown at least once, just to experience the surrealism that is B7 in Radio 4 Land!!
dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's worth listening to Sevenfold Crown at least once, just to experience the surrealism that is B7 in Radio 4 Land!!

Hey its bad, but at least you do get to hear some of the real cast do B7. I don't consider it canon but its still a bit of fun.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Quote:

Hey its bad, but at least you do get to hear some of the real cast do B7. I don't consider it canon but its still a bit of fun.

Now there's a possible thread - what is B7 cannon and what isn't? Do the Kaldor City CD's, the annual stories and the comic strips count?
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevenfold Crown is canon -but apparerntly Logic Of Empire is`nt ?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Sevenfold Crown is canon -but apparerntly Logic Of Empire is`nt ?

That's because Sevenfold Crown was an official BBC production and Logic of Empire was a fan-produced thing, albeit using some of the real actors. Logic of Empire has as much claim to canon as printed fan fiction, that is none, though Logic of Empire was a better play.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cockroach Boy
It's worth listening to Sevenfold Crown at least once, just to experience the surrealism that is B7 in Radio 4 Land!![/quote]

I'd also like to hear it because there's so many of the original cast. I'm waiting to hear if they're as enthusiastic as on TV.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No -they all camp it up no end -especially Darrow and Jackie Pearce !
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, they got Slave right!!
inge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coackroach Boy said:
Quote:

Still, they got Slave right!!

Good, as no S4 episode would feel right if the voice of Slave was not original.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. By coming back in audio it's easy to imagine they're just the same. It got quite exciting on the holiday planet (episode 2?) and some of the new characters seemed to fit in really well. I liked Orac worrying about his self-preservation and Slave was on top form.

I agree with Peter Tuddenham in the interview at the end - why don't they do some more! Of course they did The Syndeton Experiment, which I've still to hear, but what about more?

When Iím watching the episodes in order I think Iíll slot them in, where theyíre set, between Stardrive and Animals.
Cats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought it was cheesy,fun though,enjoyed it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: