Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D2: Power
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Episode D2: Power Reply with quote

This is very much a continuation of the last episode, Rescue. How they can get back on board Scorpio seems extremely difficult. I think Orac helps a lot by finding out how long they’ve got. The war between the sexes is pretty futile, but it's an interesting situation to be in, as are the Seska’s powers of telekinesis and healing. It's a nice twist that not all the Hommik's are savages. The crew are very vulnerable at times – Avon could easily be killed after he’s knocked out and Dayna wouldn’t win the duel by herself. Avon’s precaution with the security code is clever though. It’s a pity he takes no chances when back on the Scorpio; when the last Seska dies it’s also the end of their maybe useful telekinesis power.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that it was Pella to shoot first, Avon's shot was purely defensive. Avon realised that Pella was completely fruit and nut by the end and of no use to anybody. Even on Scorpio, all Pella can do is spout her ideolgy in a final, dying gasp. Pella is not looking for assistance from an 'other', but rather looking for the dominance of her own ideology.

Pella was overtaken by her role as the last remaining leader of the Seska that, combined with the loss and devestation of war, caused her to become irrational and uncommunicative. Pella was a victim of an idealised image of herself (as leader and defender of the Seska) becoming dominant, thus denying herself the option of joining the crew as a valuable member of the team. An instance of not being able to see the wood for the trees (as the old saying goes). In other words, Pella's insistence of her ideology (her 'fundamentalism', if you will) prevents her from seeing a more underlying sense of what it is to be human.

Steed's point in this is not to say: "Look at these pathetic, weak women. They are obviously inferior, lacking in good old fashioned common sense, good judgement, the inner strength to lead and the abilty to read a map" as is commonly assumed. Rather, Steed's point is to show us the dangers of store-bought ideology and how they can damage the human spirit.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pity Pella got shot. I think she'd have made a more interesting addition to the crew than Soolin.
Faywen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but then again, if somebody with her attitude, COMBINED with her powers was let loose on board, she might be a serious threat to them, and you know Avon 's attitude to THAT sort of thing!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus they already had two tough girls with Dayna and Soolin.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Power. It's a fun episode. I mean, it's got Dicken Ashworth as Gunsar and he cannot act. He just growls his way through his lines and is hilarious.

And then there's his cockney mates in the fight scenes.

"Go on, Gunsar!"

Fantastic. I'd rather watch this than quite a bit of Season 4. Especially Animals and Warlord...
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the sex war stuff quite cringe inducing. I mean I can see that Steed is taking the p*** out of the male characters too, but the whole thing feels clumsy.
inge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gunsar and his scenes with Avon crack me up.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inge wrote:
I like Gunsar and his scenes with Avon crack me up.

Yeah, those scenes are very funny.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A culture shock for both of them. When fighting Gunn-Sar it's a case of gloves on for Avon.

I can’t decide if the Hommik that whispers to Gunn-Sar is telling him to say “When Gunn-Sar dies in combat, the victor is Lord” or is just telling him “you’ve only got two arms!”.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this episode again, it is not as mysognistic as it might originally appear. Gunsar is clearly shown to be an idiot throughout and the entire of the Hommick's civilisation is based on ignorance about power systems that supply their needs. Is notable that Gunsar's most aggressive action towars Nina comes when Avon draws atention to the technology they have - his rage is actually against himself and the fact that he depends on 'feminine' technology.

I think the key to this episode lays in the password to the silo door - narcisuss - both Homicks and Seska are so absorbed by their own self image they have lost sight of the reality of their situation. The fact that this password is a fake serves to underline the point.

There are however, two major failings in this episode.

The first is Nina. As a character who has crossed the lines as it were, she is vital to the survival of the Hommicks. However, Pella makes a damning accusation that not only has Nina operated on Seska (clearly true) but that she is implict in the subsequent rape of the captured girls to provide young males for the Hommicks. We are never told if this is true or not. If Pella is lying, then we can have some hope for the Hommick future. If she is telling the truth, then Nina is one of the most repellant characters B7 has to offer and god knows what the Hommicks will become under her leadership. Eitherway, this aspect of the story should have been resolved.

The second problem is Avon kissing Pella. Telling her that men are physically stronger than men is fine and many would agree but following this up by kissing her has an unpleasent connotation. Avon action is implying not just men are always stronger than women but that as a result they can force themselves sexually on them any time they want. This sudden transformation into potential rapist is wildly out of character for Avon and sits uncomfortably with the rest of the episode.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting that after shooting Pella, Avon is confronted by Soolin who can draw her gun much quicker thah him. Avon wins against Pella, but against Soolin it would have been a different matter.
inge

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy said:
Quote:

The first is Nina. As a character who has crossed the lines as it were, she is vital to the survival of the Hommicks. However, Pella makes a damning accusation that not only has Nina operated on Seska (clearly true) but that she is implict in the subsequent rape of the captured girls to provide young males for the Hommicks. We are never told if this is true or not. If Pella is lying, then we can have some hope for the Hommick future. If she is telling the truth, then Nina is one of the most repellant characters B7 has to offer and god knows what the Hommicks will become under her leadership. Eitherway, this aspect of the story should have been resolved.

We are meant to assume that originally Nina was abducted and only later become Gunsar's wife. That doesn't excuse her later actions though.
Unlike Pella, Nina realised that the Seska had no future, unless there was some type of truce between the two tribes.
The Hommicks would never agree to that and this is probably why Nina performed the operations.
The women may not have been Seska afterwards but at least they survived.
As for Nina being implicit in the abduction of young girls, I can't see her agreeing to that.

Cockroach Boy said:
Quote:

Its interesting that after shooting Pella, Avon is confronted by Soolin who can draw her gun much quicker thah him. Avon wins against Pella, but against Soolin it would have been a different matter.

Avon was no fool. He could see that it was better to have someone like Soolin on his side.
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good episode, like the new teleport style!
Noticed Big Ron from eastenders as one of gunsars minders!
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is reminiscent of an earthsearch episode... where there's been a huge war between women and primitives for hundreds of years.

i'm currently watching this episode for the first time and am really enjoying it .. very different sort of Blake's7 to what im sued to though.

Dayna is just about to fight funsar.. soi 'll shut up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: