Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Was Soolin really a replacement for Cally?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbins1940

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Was Soolin really a replacement for Cally? Reply with quote

Were they planning to bring in the character of Soolin before Jan Chappel decided to quit the 4th season?

I ask because if you look the Scorpio Flightdeck set there are 6 seats. There is a small seat facing the back of the set inbetween Tarrant's and Soolin's seat positions.

Does anyone know why Jan Chappel refused to come back? Had she fallen out with someone? Did they not tell her that the 4th season was probably the last?
inge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan had a young son, Sam, and wanted to spend more time with her family. That's why she left at end of S3.
In Blakes 7 The Inside Story Jan says she was starting to get bored with the character.
Season 4 was a last minute decision.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when they started planning for Soolin (the name is apparently a play on the name of Sue Ellen from Dallas - what a comedown!), but Jan Chappell decided really late in the day to quit and refused to come back. Boucher is on record as saying he had her in at least four scripts.

She was going to leave at some point during the season and there has been speculation it would have been during Animals. But then she decided not to bother and they apparently had real problems getting her to record the few lines she did in Rescue.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to 'Liberation', there wasa lot of confusion over whether or not Cally would appear at all. I can't really imagine her in Season 4 though. I think Avon's behaviour would have sickened her so much that she would have left him to his own devices.
Jonelm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall an interview with Paul Darrow (which took place when Series 4 was still being made) and he said that Soolin was originally going to be introduced mid-series and there was going to be an overlap with Cally.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonelm wrote:
I recall an interview with Paul Darrow (which took place when Series 4 was still being made) and he said that Soolin was originally going to be introduced mid-series and there was going to be an overlap with Cally.

That might explain why it's only from about Assassin that Soolin's character becomes defined. Up until then she doesn't have that much personality.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah -she could sit on my lap anytime !
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
yeah -she could sit on my lap anytime !

Be careful what you wish for BC! Soolin's lovers probably had an even shorter life expectancy than Avon's!!

Mind you, I quite fancy Tarrant so I would have to resign myself to death to...
inge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy said:
Quote:

Be careful what you wish for BC! Soolin's lovers probably had an even shorter life expectancy than Avon's!!

Yes I can't imagine too many people getting the better of her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: