Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Was it all for nothing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin said:
Quote:

Sadly, I have to aggree with you, Inge. Despite the war, the corruption, the erosion of freedoms and now the AWB scandal, Australians are still too apathetic to care. The only time they were remotely roused ws due to industrial relations, because it directly hurt their wallets.

Unfortunately that is true for most people in the modern world.
The world's problems do not concern most people.
The only thing many of us care about is the latest gadget and how much we earn.
When we can't get things anymore because the world economy has collapsed or some natrural disaster happens, it will be too late.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Was it all for nothing? Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
Did Blake and his fellow fighters actually achieve anything ? At the beginning of the series, the Federation controls large sections of the galaxy with drug induced dreams and terror methods to keep the locals in line. At the end they are well on their way to doing the same.

Humanity is condemned to live under the yolk of the Federation until the inevitable drive of social and technological entropy leads to the Links. The only societies that tried to seperate themselves from the nightmares around them - principally Auron and Obsidian - have been exterminated. Even the comparatively civilised clone masters are gone. There is no Way Back. Only a Death Watch over a Terminal future.

I know next to nothing about poetry, but I read a quote somewhere that goes something like 'The centre cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world' Is that a fitting epitapf for Blake's 7?

Did the rebellion achieveanything? Or would true freedom only have been attainable by a breakaway group like the Space Rats?

Blake actually achieved some of what he was attempting.He pretty much destroyed the Federation that was responsible for ruining his life.This new "Federation" is just a dictatorship with Servalan in charge.Dictatorships are relatively easy to topple and thanks to the Andromedans the Federation was at its weakest point.The only reason I can think of why the people didn't rebel was that they wanted the Federation to remain in charge,they probably felt safer with a military administration.Although we see how ruthless they can be towards the outer worlds but we don't know how they are with Earth.Perhaps this new Federation is more lax with Earth in return for their loyalty.Perhaps Earth is better off under Federation rule.

A similar scenario occurred in the Star Trek universe.In the "mirror" universe,the evil Federation ultimately changes their ways and the result is that they were conquered by the Klingons and Cardassians and humans were enslaved.Let's face it,who would you want in charge during a galactic war,Blake and his sympathizers,or the Federation? As much as Blake hates the Federation even he realized they were the only force strong enough to stop the Andromedans.

How will Blake and the crew be remembered? Initially as heroes and martyrs.However,as time goes by even legends are forgotten.Until Lions have their own historians tales of the hunt will always glorify the hunter,a Nigerian proverb.History is written by the winners and the Federation has exstensive capabilities when it comes to propaganda.Blake will be portrayed as a common criminal or worse.Also,historians tend to write about the empires and conquerors,not the people that attempted to stand against them.We remember the Roman empire,not the cultures that were assimilated by it.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Was it all for nothing? Reply with quote

thunda wrote:

.However,as time goes by even legends are forgotten

are they? What about King Arthur? His legend lives on even though all details of the historical person(s) have long been lost.

thunda wrote:

Also,historians tend to write about the empires and conquerors,not the people that attempted to stand against them.We remember the Roman empire,not the cultures that were assimilated by it.

Again not entirely true. Obvious examples of popular rebels include Queen Boudicca and Owen Glenower. The Gauls and other tribes that the Romans conquered are still remembered.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Was it all for nothing? Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
thunda wrote:

are they? What about King Arthur? His legend lives on even though all details of the historical person(s) have long been lost.

That's my point.Thanks to paperbacks,comic books and movies,Arthur has pretty much turned into a fairy tale.Outside of the UK and maybe Europe,most people probably don't know or care if he really existed.He's kind of on the level of Dracula (here in the States).

RichardWho wrote:
thunda wrote:

Also,historians tend to write about the empires and conquerors,not the people that attempted to stand against them.We remember the Roman empire,not the cultures that were assimilated by it.

Again not entirely true. Obvious examples of popular rebels include Queen Boudicca and Owen Glenower. The Gauls and other tribes that the Romans conquered are still remembered.

As in my reply above,I'm talking worldwide,not just the UK or Europe.I'm aware that every country knows more about their history than the outside world,but I'm talking about the average person.Most people are familiar with the Caesars,Columbus,Gengis Khan,etc.,but unfamiliar with the names of those that tried to stand against them.Unless of course they won.

In the case of Blake,we're talking about a universe where the Federation controls all sources of infomation.A universe where religion is practically forgotten and very few people even know what a church is.Unless the Federatiom falls within a couple of generations,I think Blake will be forgotten.
boroboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Was it all for nothing? Reply with quote

thunda wrote:

Blake actually achieved some of what he was attempting.He pretty much destroyed the Federation that was responsible for ruining his life.This new "Federation" is just a dictatorship with Servalan in charge.Dictatorships are relatively easy to topple and thanks to the Andromedans the Federation was at its weakest point.The only reason I can think of why the people didn't rebel was that they wanted the Federation to remain in charge,they probably felt safer with a military administration.Although we see how ruthless they can be towards the outer worlds but we don't know how they are with Earth.Perhaps this new Federation is more lax with Earth in return for their loyalty.Perhaps Earth is better off under Federation rule.

At the end of the day most people just want a reasonably quiet life and to be able to look after family and friends - beyond that gets pretty abstract pretty fast. As for governance - what we are seeing a lot these days is the lesser of two evils selection. I think this is what kept the militarized federation in power - for most people they were better than the alternatives. They were stable and not extreme. There is something of that in what is happening in Egypt - with widespread support for secular military-backed governance - despite its flaws. Because the alternative it worse. At least it was a meritocracy, of sorts, hence the grades. And the show uses Servelan as an example of what happens when meritocracy is not allowed to run its course - she attains her position through wealth and influence and was a poor cadet and recognized as being unstable at a young age. In some ways the rising of people like Servelan into positions of power is what the federation is set up to avoid.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Was it all for nothing? Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
thunda wrote:

I didn't express myself properly. What I should have written was the deeds that inspired the legend will ultimately be forgotten. Instead of being remembered as someone trying to free Earth, Blake may be remembered as someone selfishly standing in the way of progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: