Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B13 : STAR ONE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Episode B13 : STAR ONE Reply with quote

This is the most overrated episode of them all , I always have a problem with this ; Just how is it possible to construct a man made planet ? The resources would be phenomenal , and it would surely have taken centuries to do it ! and we are led to believe its halfway between our Galaxy and the Andromedon Galaxy - just how is this possible ? The time scale between Galaxies is huge , yet we are led into believing that it can be achieved in a reletively short time !

Even for SCI-FI this is ridiculous - not made any better than the sight of woks and kitchen utensils coming at the Liberator !
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode B13 : STAR ONE Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE
Quote:
Even for SCI-FI this is ridiculous - not made any better than the sight of woks and kitchen utensils coming at the Liberator !

Or, HAIRDRYERS!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
luskentyre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, they're not even pointing in the same direction!

One wonders if a better effect couldn't have been created with an animation-type effect they used for the titles.

Last edited by luskentyre on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was ever implied Star One was a man made planet - it was simply a one planet solar system that hangs off the edge of the galaxy, well slightly outside the galaxy and had always been there. Completely plausible.

They never said it was halfway between the two galaxies. It just happened that the distance from the theoretical boundary of our galaxy to star one was greater than that of the maximum reach of the Liberator's sensors which is why members of the crew paniced and thought there was nothing out there.

If it was halfway between the galaxies it would have taken them years to get there because the federation has not yet developed an intergalactic drive. Apparently the Andromedans have.

The main bit thats hard to swallow is the mine field the federation built. That would have been incredibly huge if the andromedans, who lets remember have intergalactic travel capability, simply did not fly around it.
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgive ALL for the wonderful climax.
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only man-made planet we saw was Terminal, and that dramatically changed shape between the episodes Terminal and Rescue
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, given B7's love of using its own stock footage I always was surprised they decided to recreate this scene - unless of course they showed the wrong piece of footage and no one noticed.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like this but its tosh really !
dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the argument about a man-made planet should probably now be moved to the Terminal episode discussion.

Anyway, whilest the construction of a man-made planet is a mammoth undertaking - at least knowing that it was "originally in orbit near Mars" meant that the resources of Earth were close at hand, and the necessary building blocks could have been pinched from the asteroid belt.

I do have a major problem with moving the planet to another part of the galaxy though..
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it a push and off it goes
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long did it take the Empire to build a Deathstar?
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from some major structural bits and the drive/power systems, the Deathstar wouldn't have taken that long, probably no more than ten years. Given the sheer size of the Empire, prefabricated components and sections could be manufactured on a thousand worlds and brought together for assembly fairly quickly.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Of course the argument about a man-made planet should probably now be moved to the Terminal episode discussion.

Anyway, whilest the construction of a man-made planet is a mammoth undertaking - at least knowing that it was "originally in orbit near Mars" meant that the resources of Earth were close at hand, and the necessary building blocks could have been pinched from the asteroid belt.

I do have a major problem with moving the planet to another part of the galaxy though..

RIDICULOUS !
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timings in this episode are a problem, too.
1. Travis left Goth slightly ahead of Blake in a slower ship, arrived later but in the meantime had contacted the Andromedans and formed an alliance with them?
2. How did the Andromedan saboteurs negotiate the minefiled (maybe they did just fly around it!)
3. Why is Servalan so surprised about Star One failing? She was on GOth with Blake and Travis and knew both wanted to destory or seize control of the world?
4. Why didn't Travis shoot Avon instead of throwing his shawl over him?
5. Why did the Andromedans leave Lurena alive so long?

Having said all of that, the episode has some great moments:
1. Servalan's coup.
2. The dialogue between Jenna, Vila and Orac.
3. Avon's "wade in blood up to your armpits and lead the rabble to victory, whatever that may mean" soliloquy.
4. Cally's questioning of the morality of the mission and Blake's growing fanaticism.
5. The climax, though it is almost totally ruined by the model shots of that cringe-worthy invasion fleet.
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was a good cliffhanger for the series and is one of my favourites. It did have a lot of flaws but had great moments too and alot of action
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: