Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Horizon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Horizon Reply with quote

This was a pretty good episode,it actually had an epic feel to it.Unfortunately the writers threw alot of stuff in that never quite got developed properly.It was basically a futuristic retelling of the colonists breaking free of the empire with the help of "the stranger".It did show another "gentler" tactic of the Federation though,it would have been nice to discuss the pros and cons about being a colony.I liked how Cally made use of her power,but finding out about Ro's father seemed like too much of a coincidence.In fact,too many coincidences to further the plot in this story for my taste.Seeing Avon singlehandedly save the day makes up for the plot holes.

Things that I would have liked to see:
1)Let Blake and the Kommissar debate whether the people of Silmareno would be better or worse as a colony.Explain what the Federation gave them for the ore.

2)Explain the difference between Ro's people and the "primitives".Ro and Selma didn't seem to have much regard for them.Ironic.

Things I noticed:

Whenever Blake is captured he seems to get more information than he gives.

Avon has the perfect excuse to abandon Blake and keep the Liberator,but chose not to.And not even a thank you.

Blowdarts are more effective against the B7 crew than Federation blasters.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting episode, I really don't have a problemn with this episode because it is an interesting one and you do you lot watch these epsides 10 times before you post an episode thread? You come out with all these facts! No apart from Avon saving the day a good episode all round.
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isnt one of my fave episodes and i'd say it was one of my least. Didnt like the acting from the guy who played Ro or his woman Selma. Not much action really either.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceCommanderTravis wrote:
This isnt one of my fave episodes and i'd say it was one of my least. Didnt like the acting from the guy who played Ro or his woman Selma. Not much action really either.

I thought Selma and Ro weren't meant togther to be honest!
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picard wrote:
An interesting episode, I really don't have a problemn with this episode because it is an interesting one and you do you lot watch these epsides 10 times before you post an episode thread? You come out with all these facts! No apart from Avon saving the day a good episode all round.

At least 10 times,usually more!

Picard wrote:

I don't think their "engagement" was based on love,but lots of cultures don't see love as the primary reason for marriage.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Picard wrote:

At least 10 times,usually more!

Picard wrote:

I don't think their "engagement" was based on love,but lots of cultures don't see love as the primary reason for marriage.

So it was an arranged marriage you think? I think Ro just had bad taste. Was Selma a woman anyway?
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I think it was an arranged marriage,although it's possible that Ro chose her,he was the ruler.I don't think that Selma was against marrying Ro,she was against the Federation "schooling".She looked quite comfortable standing next to him when he was on the throne.

Observations:
There must have been alot of Ro's people and "primatives" in order for the Federation to decide to colonize instead of conquer,and also for the Federation guards (who had blasters) to be defeated by so quickly.

Blake mentioned that Ro's friend Paura died on the London.I don't really see why the Federation would ship him from the edge of the galaxy to earth,then to Cygnus Alpha.
dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blake mentioned that Ro's friend Paura died on the London.I don't really see why the Federation would ship him from the edge of the galaxy to earth,then to Cygnus Alpha.

It could well be that Paura was sent to Earth for an education so that the federation had another puppet on Horizon , but he then showed rebel tendencies so they got rid of him.

They would've wanted to indoctrinate many 'primitives' as that would lessen the chance of rebellion.

I likewise agree with comments that this isn't a bad episode. Not the best, but certainly not as poor as some people make out.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dave"]
Quote:

I likewise agree with comments that this isn't a bad episode. Not the best, but certainly not as poor as some people make out.

Yeah differently! I think this episode is good but not great, but I don't watch it 10 times afterwards.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Quote:

It could well be that Paura was sent to Earth for an education so that the federation had another puppet on Horizon , but he then showed rebel tendencies so they got rid of him.

They would've wanted to indoctrinate many 'primitives' as that would lessen the chance of rebellion.

Those are some very good thoughts,Dave,I was under the assumption that the Federation school was located on Horizon.That line from Blake would make sense if the school was on Earth,though.Still,Ro had some sought of training and he doesn't appear to have left the planet.

p.s.
I'm still unclear as to whether these "primitives" were Ro's people that were "uneducated" or a seperate race.

[quote="Picard"]
dave wrote:
Quote:

Yeah differently! I think this episode is good but not great, but I don't watch it 10 times afterwards.

I watch them all 10 times.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one thing about Horizon you can't get away from. Blake has man breasts. Surprisingly big ones. Somehow his role as an action hero is a bit..well dented after that. Thank god they didn't want Gan to strip too!

Leaving aside the flabiness of the good guys, this is a bit of a strange episode with such a mixture of good and bad it's hard to judge it as a whole. The colonial aspect is interesting and clearly inspired by the less than admirable behaviour of the British empire. On the other hand, the Federation are far too easily overthrown. If they were so few in number that the killing of those at the palace liberated a whole planet, how exactly was control maintained? There are suggestions of a class ridden hierachial society, but it's never properly develloped.

The design is very varied too. Nice sets for the throne room but the mines just look silly. The Federation officers outfits are effective but the native outfits look very generic.

An episode that the phrase 'Curate's egg' might have been invented for. Though I still don't understand why Curate's eggs are different to ordinary eggs...
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cave sets aren't sets, from what I recall as I refuse to watch this again - but are actual caves! They're shot on film as opposed to video tape.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right the caves are locations. Unfortunately, it's blatently obvious that the 'mines' are just random caves where the people are banging at rocks for no apparent reason. I half expected the Fraggles to appear!
Richard1978

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too much to comment on but the fact that Gan needed 2 darts I found amusing, like the time in The Simpsons when homer was abducted by aliens, & they needed 2 tractor beams to get him into their flying saucer.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: