Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C11: Moloch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Episode C11: Moloch Reply with quote

I think my view of this episode is unjustly coloured by the piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken that is Moloch. But apart from his unveiling and Avon's classic line about that is how he imagined he would look, the episode is quite good. I've just enjoyed a happy 50 minutes watching it again anyway.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Its good to be free, and we all agree, we're not going back any morrrre!"
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
"Its good to be free, and we all agree, we're not going back any morrrre!"

I Always Love Singing That
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEN " Information. The present course has no material end. Suggest transfer from linear progression to modular time shift. "

Is that supposed to be something like the theory of travelling by bending space?
ziggysawdust

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the convict Vila latches onto (can't remember his name but he starts off nice and ends up being Jack the Ripper!), I think this guy reminds him of Arco in 'Cygnus' and the old communal spirit of fellow convicts that he has been involved with his whole life pre-Blake, he seems at home until complications set in (ie: Servalan and Tarrant).
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to make of this episode.There were parts of this story that were quite good yet overall it just didn't seem to make much sense.The idea of an "energy mass transmitter" was pretty good and could probably have been a better story without the Moloch character.It might also have been better if Servalan wasn't in it,unless the writers come up with a reason why she only has one personal guard with her.Although I thought the writing was bad I did think the acting was quite good,particually Jacquelin Pearce who managed to make the most out of what she was given to work with.
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why they didn't take the replication machine with them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnidus wrote:

Good point. The shop dummy that was captain someone or other being kept alive in that fish tank thingy was just as bad as the Moloch KFC and Avon's classic line mentioned in another posting on this thread.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Moloch is about as close as Brian Steed ever got to a good episode. It's still a lousy script, but at least it doesn't have as much of the cringe making battle of the sexes stuff from Power and Kairos. There are some nice comic peformances. Jackie Pearce and Paul Darrow seem to be having the time of their life just being incredibly dismissive of everyone round them.
One of those episodes that's alright if you're in the mood. Plus there's the fun of watching everyone trying not to p*** themselves laughing at Deep Roy.
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnidus wrote:

Lots of things about the ending seem questionable,in fact the last ten minutes or so seem not to make much sense.

Doran teaming up with Chesil when he claimed he doesn't like women.

Then he leaves Vila and exits the room with Chesil where for no reason at all they are killed by Moloch.

I won't even comment on the Moloch character himself or why he only had one eye.

Not only does the crew leave without taking one of the devices,they leave the technology for the Federation to collect.

To top everything off Vila seems to think leaving the Sardoans in the hands of the Calcos rif raf,the renegade Federation troops,and Servalan's approaching forces,will "do 'em good".
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think Steed intended Doran to be as comic a character as he comes over? The line about not liking women could have been scary if it was delivered in a different way.

'Liberation' claims that Steed's scripts were opposed to the abuse of women, but even if that was the case, the treatment of themes like rape just came over as too light hearted.

Does anyone know what Ben Steed wrote after Blake?
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully nothing. Moloch is a nasty little piece of mysogyny. And before anyone says that troops on the frontiers and convicts generally treat women roughly, I know that - I just don't want it in my living room. If I never see this vile drivel again, it will be too soon.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov - Are you serious?
How can you watch any Blake's 7 if you don't like unpleasant characters and situations? This is a show full of murder, mass murder, genocide, drugging and brainwashing of individuals and populations, totally opressive fascist dictatorships, liars, cheats, thieves, psychotics, terrorists, betrayers, drug producers, pushers and traffickers, pirates, mercenaries, religous maniacs, genetically programmed killers, killer robots, brian implants, megalomaniacs, torture, slavery, germ warfare, giant killer bugs, giants brains that eat people, ritual murder, pessimistic projects of our future, sacrifice of friends for personal gain, vampire sand, attempted murder of closest companions, etc., etc.
Bad things happen in Blake's 7, so a few misogynist characters should come as no surprise. ALos, it appears from your comments that you don't like misogyny, in which case you should love this episode becasue all the misogynists (except Avon, and he does get tortured) get their comeuppance.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you both raise good points. The Blake 7 universe is a very bleak place and misogny is no worse than some of the other 'crimes' we see. However the ill treatment of women is definetly treated in a very light hearted manner in this episode, much more so than say the isue of drug pushing in Shadow. But then perhaps a pre watershed show like Blake's 7 was the wrong place to try and tacke such an issue as rape?

I suppose to an extent you have to take it in the context of it's time and mysogny was still quite common in the mainstream of the early 80's. 'Alien' might have blazed a new trail, but it would be a long time before others would properly follow.

In much the same way that Moloch can seem distasteful, I find it impossible to view Orbit as anything other than a homophobic piece of crap, but at the time it was broadcast Ergrorian was a fairly typical example of the steroetyping of gay men on TV.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy, I'll assume the gay relationship you refer to is Egrorian and Pinder . BUT in this episode Egrorian is a mass mudering, bisexual sadist ((he proposes to Servelan as well as liking Villa and his torture of Pinder is pretty disturbing) NOT a gay man. Maybe 10 years of social isolation is blame?
Do you think Orbit is homophobic AND crap (becasue of bad production - like the aging sequence upon exposure to Hoffals radiation), or crap BECAUSE its homophobic?

I am not convinced that this episode is homophobic anyway. Certainly it portrays a bisexual man in a stereotypical way - but there is no hatred/dislike of Egrorian becasue of his sexuality is there? Are you thinking that because of his weakness for the sexual predator that is Servelan that this portays gay men in a bad light? In which case I would say in the shows defence that Servelan does this with all sorts of people.

Getting back to the episode Moloch, one thing that is conspicuously absent is the male population of the planet. This is not emntioned by anyone in the episode amd you'd think someone would have noticed. Is it that they have all been killed by Gose's troopers (or the criminals he imported)?

Now that Doran - he is an interesting character. At first I *think* he is supposed to be drunk on a heady mixture of freedom from a penal colony (In prisons men who committ crimes that Doran hints at are ususlly in a lot of trouble from the regular inmates. This implies the possibility that all the convicts are "women haters". This might tie in with the treatment of women shown elsewhere in the episode.) and drink. He and the rest of the convicts (not to say the pilot and crew of the transport ship) are perfrectly willing to believe that its OK to be a stowaway. After all Vila is just escaping the same convict planet as them. This is why Doran looks so surprised that Vila does not know about Doran's attitude to women. He thinks Vila came from the same penal colony that he hdid which is probably comprised of women abusers. UNtil this point Vila is perfectly happy to go along with Doran as it is a way to get away from Tarrant. As Vila says earlier when threatened at gunpoint by Tarrant (unsuccessfully) "If it comes down to that, Tarrant, there isn't really a lot of point, is there?". Vila is totally deomoralized and he grasps at any friendship. However, when Vila finds out about Doran (and the rest of the convict possibly) he feels strongly enough to side with Servelan!

One more point on Moloch and treatment of women: Poola and Chesil are given the option of erasing contacts that come through teh barrier, but according to Lector they already know about valid contacts wether the erase button is pressed or not. So why have women watching and pressing the button then? Is ti just Lector and Grose's sadistic way of trapping these women to give them an excuse for punishing then (either physically or sexually)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: