Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C7: Children of Auron
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this sounds wierd, but l find this episode one of the most unsettling. The idea of a whole planet being deliberately wiped out by plague is undeniably disturbing. It's the single greatest crime we ever see Servalan commit. Although her change from white to black clothing is generally seen as forshadowing her grief for her unborn offspring, it could also be taken as symbolising her metamorphosis from corrupt leader to virtually an angel of death.
I also like the fact the the Federation officers are shown as petty, jealous and divided - as is often the case with the real life regimes that commit attrocities.

However one thing about this story does annoy me. The sudden decision that the people of Auron are all pacifists is just lazy and stupid. Not only does it contradict what we learnt in Time Squad and Bounty, but it maintains the irritating cliche that only non-aggressive (which in SF tends to be equated with weakness ) societies get wiped out. It's almost as though the production team were scared to present us with a race we could sympathise with, so decided to make tham a monolthic group of pacifists. I'd much rather we had been presented with a diverse culture, which would make their death much more affecting. Killer went down that path by making even minor characters like Tak seem 'real' and I think, as a result, it's the better episode.

Still, the plague sores and yellow drool are admirably gross!
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really detest this episode !
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly flawed but it's better than it's reputation.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to Steve's orignial post - he's right this episode makes no sense at all. It is clear in the episode that not all Aurons die and that Orac knows the cure for the pathogens. Right after curing an Auron Vila and Dayna are convinced that the only cure is on Servalan's ship. Baffling.

What is also interesting is that we find out earlier in teh episode that Tarrant knows nothing about Cally's history - what planet she was on when found by Blake, Vila and Avon. Don't these people speak to each other at all?

As for Zelda sacrificing herself to save Servalan's offspring - I just despair!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of Zelda's sacrifice is quite typical of the way that non-military culteres tended to be potrayed as impractical in 70's SF.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servalan's is supposed to be mouring her unborn children when she starts wearing black. But as she's wearing from the start of the episode, isn't it more likely she's mourning Jarvik? He may have been a posseur and a hypocite but she clearly cared about him.

Her desire to have children indicates that the wants to turn the Federation leadership into a hereditary system. No wonder she ends up being overthrown!!
boroboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
Servalan's is supposed to be mouring her unborn children when she starts wearing black. But as she's wearing from the start of the episode, isn't it more likely she's mourning Jarvik? He may have been a posseur and a hypocite but she clearly cared about him.

Her desire to have children indicates that the wants to turn the Federation leadership into a hereditary system. No wonder she ends up being overthrown!!

I strongly agree with the last two sentences - see my recent post on the other thread about the federation being mostly a meritocracy that would ideally not have allowed an aberration like Servelan into power and saved us all a lot of bother

I thought Jarvik was OK. He is a good strategist. He is just given appalling dialogue (I think the actor did a great job to play it straight)!
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't mind this episode at all.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: