Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Has the new Dr Who changed your mind on new Blakes 7?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has the new Dr Who changed your mind on new B7?
Yes - if so why?
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
No - if so why?
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 26

egrorian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the new DW was a big disappointment so no, it hasn't changed my mind. B7 - like DW, The Prisoner et al should be left alone. No more revivals!
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean - the new series was a roaring success , new viewers , new successful ratings - a whole new generation are now hooked - DW in the 80`s was DULL , STAGNATING CR*P - WITH DISINTERESTED VIEWERS !
dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new DW has only reaffirmed my view that a new B7 will probably be a mistake.

I don't disagree that DW stagnated in the 80's - but the new stuff is not much better. Yes its updated with ~snappy~ dialogue and modern clothing but the stories are extremely padded, superficial and actually quite dull when you really look at it.

I disagree to some extent about how in touch the writers are as well - unless the people watching (and enjoying) the show are complete idiots. Perhaps I'm an intellectual snob or prudish, but if fart jokes are what draws in the ratings then you can keep them. There's other things as well.. all up the show for me tries too hard to say "hey, I'm hip!" at the expense of the things that made the old scripts good.

For me the most critical element that made DW age (besides dodgy fx) was that stories did go too long due to close-ups of his sonic screwdriver and other ~amazing~ technology and pointless chase scenes.

The move to reduce the length of stories to one or two episodes was correct, but this rarely made the stories any more compact and concise than they used to be. We still see a lot of boring running around and the inane chatter of characters who really have nothing of value to say.

All this relatiionship twaddle between Rose and whoever is another "improvement" that bores the pants off me. BTW This isn't "updating" DW - this is CHANGING it. It has the beginnings of turning DW into a soapie, yet because there's no conclusion to any of it it just leaves a bigger mess of the "story" than there already is.

Anyway, I expect B7 would fall victim to the same mistakes. With new actors and new attitudes I expect the humour and the upper-class delivery that made B7 what it was would disappear.

And without a link between old and new, ie Paul Darrow as Avon, what really is the point?

It would simply be a new, and probably inferior, show that has stolen the Blakes 7 name to get a start.
egrorian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
The new DW has only reaffirmed my view that a new B7 will probably be a mistake.

I don't disagree that DW stagnated in the 80's - but the new stuff is not much better. Yes its updated with ~snappy~ dialogue and modern clothing but the stories are extremely padded, superficial and actually quite dull when you really look at it.

I disagree to some extent about how in touch the writers are as well - unless the people watching (and enjoying) the show are complete idiots. Perhaps I'm an intellectual snob or prudish, but if fart jokes are what draws in the ratings then you can keep them. There's other things as well.. all up the show for me tries too hard to say "hey, I'm hip!" at the expense of the things that made the old scripts good.

For me the most critical element that made DW age (besides dodgy fx) was that stories did go too long due to close-ups of his sonic screwdriver and other ~amazing~ technology and pointless chase scenes.

The move to reduce the length of stories to one or two episodes was correct, but this rarely made the stories any more compact and concise than they used to be. We still see a lot of boring running around and the inane chatter of characters who really have nothing of value to say.

All this relatiionship twaddle between Rose and whoever is another "improvement" that bores the pants off me. BTW This isn't "updating" DW - this is CHANGING it. It has the beginnings of turning DW into a soapie, yet because there's no conclusion to any of it it just leaves a bigger mess of the "story" than there already is.

Anyway, I expect B7 would fall victim to the same mistakes. With new actors and new attitudes I expect the humour and the upper-class delivery that made B7 what it was would disappear.

And without a link between old and new, ie Paul Darrow as Avon, what really is the point?

It would simply be a new, and probably inferior, show that has stolen the Blakes 7 name to get a start.

Superb post Dave! Sums it up beautifully. Some fans seem incredulous that I don't rate new DW, when to me it has so many faults I think these people must be deluding themselves. I thought some of the dialogue was just embarrassingly awful.

For what it's worth, I thought DW in the 80s post-Tom Baker was crap too.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:

Nonsense - the new stuff was far better than any of that 80`s pap - this is the 21st century - DW had to change to accommodate the new digital and satellite broadcasting age - it would have failed if it had come back as before . people would have turned off and critics would have laughed -as such it presented `Who in a new light for a new era , it attracted loads of new converts and was a ratings and critical success - which will guaranteed that the series will run for some time yet !

And i`m a fan of the 60s era !
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE
Quote:
BLAKES 7 revival appears to be dead in the water !

"CONFIRMED!"

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nonsense - the new stuff was far better than any of that 80`s pap - this is the 21st century - DW had to change to accommodate the new digital and satellite broadcasting age - it would have failed if it had come back as before .

What the hell does this mean exactly? I agree Who had to change and they did appropriately succede with the way the show looks and feels - and the new episode format SHOULD have been a vehicle for really good stories.

My point is the scripts and dialogue are for the most point rubbish and despite having less time to fill they feel more padded than earlier Who.
Simon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much soap opera in the new Dr Who really - too much soap and not enough getting straight to the point.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Who was dying in the late 80`s - low viewing figures , poor stories - it needed to change and if anyone thought that the old episodic format would have worked in 2005 - well forget it -it would have failed , no one would be watching it and it would have been ridiculed ! Doctor Who is`nt just aimed at people who sit around computers all the time -believe it or not !
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they aimed for the lowest common denomator. Are we really supposed to applaud them for that?
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you few McCoy fans can get on with watching your tapes - and the other 10 million of us will look forward to the new series coming up !
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIIIII LOVVEEEEEEEE MccccccccCCCOOOOYYYYYY
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL FOUR OF YOU !
dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get no argument from me the McCoy years were poor, but the new stuff is not much better.

Dr Who died a slow death and I think he should have stayed buried if this is the best they can do.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - `DALEK` was one of the finest DW episodes ever made - IF NOT THE BEST !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: