Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B12: The Keeper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Episode B12: The Keeper Reply with quote

I was watching this, this afternoon. I love how Servalan decided that rather than killing Jenna she'd leave her to the worse fate of having to pair-bond with Gola: "I may not kill you after all. A lifetime with Gola would be very educational for you."

We also hear how much Servalan respects Jenna: "She is a superior-grade citizen of the Federation. Her IQ is very high."
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one episode I just cannot watch as it's such utter tosh. Can anyone explain why Allan Prior was given such reign when all of his episodes were awful?

Other than the regulars no one wants to act. It's all just stalling before giving us the clue to Star One. I can accept Travis being there - he heard Docolli tell Blake where the info was - but him working with Servalan again after she planted a bomb in his arm? Nah.

The Goths. Yawn. More tedious sub-medieval peasants. And Bruce Purchase just shouts his way through the episode. Vila as a fool? Now that's really original. Jenna chosen as a bride for the chief? Has Allan been watching Deliverance? I think so.

The only highpoint in this desert of tedium was Avon having a barney with Cally when he took time out to blow up Travis' pursuit ship, and even that was out of character (the shooting down of Pursuit 3).

One nice touch was some of the direction (Derek Martinus is on good form as usual) and effects on Goth itself. I did like the effects work when the Liberator destroys Travis' ship, but apart from that it's barely watchable.

No, The Keeper ranks as one of the worst episodes of the series, just below Moloch and Animals. Absolutely dreadful. Horizon was dull and Hostage stupid but compared to The Keeper they were BAFTA award winning stuff.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , this is bad , it`s one of those `Tribes` thing which DW did really badly in the 70`s - barely watchable ! .
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isnt one of my favourites either. It does have some good bits in it but mostly its crap. I don't like the Goths at all, they remind me of the fat tall people from Fraggle Rock
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched this last night , truely dire , the thing DW did in the TB years -all silly tribes and customs - avoid !
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you're not just mad because this episode featured big, yummy, rough men? Yum!
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artilla wrote:
Sure you're not just mad because this episode featured big, yummy, rough men? Yum! At least this one has a bit more eye candy for the ladies than usual.

Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it really is THAT bad! If I never see it again, I'll die a happy man.
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goth snob.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt against hairy primitive blokes - Power is one of me favourite episodes and Gunsar is hilarious, so too are his cockney supporters when he's fighting Dayna and Avon.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s pure trash !
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh now -- I did like that we got to see Servalan, Vill and Jenna all interacting with a different culture without any real "back-up" to aid them. It was just a bit of fun, with big, sweaty hairy men in it. I liked it. (The jester wore on me though.)
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question: Why is the planet Goth so named?
Is it believed that the occupants of the planet are descended from teh ancient Gothic tribes, such as Ethiopians and others claim to be one of the lsot tribes of Israel or the Hungarians were mistakenly thought by foreigners to be descendants of the HUns? Perhaps after a nuclear holocuast (or whatever event occurs before the rise of the Terran Federation) such a loss of history is understaandable.
Perhaps, laternatively, the natives were as primitive as the Goths (in which case, doe sthe Terran Federation liken itself to the Roman Empire?)
Are all fo these races based on colonies from Earth or are they alien? The conflicting stories of the Auronar seem to confuse this issue.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does this episode seem a lot better on DVD? I've never really noticed before how good some of the set design is on this one. The direction is quite atmospheric too.

The costumes are still a bit dodgy though - all the guys look like Obelix from the Asterix comic books! and the old Charl is clearly the 'nail 'em up' guy from 'Life of Brain' :

This is the only episode where Jenna really seems to serve any purpose. Nothing against Sally who I think is a very good actress - she was amazing in Spare Parts' - but for the most part her character just seemed to be used as someone to hanker after Blake and to sit at the teleport looking worried. This Keeper is one of the few occasions where we get to see her being clever, tough and manipulative.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Goth is possibly explained that it was settled by a "seeder" ship (think the projectile from TimeSquad or the Cephlon rocket) and the colonists had to make the best of what they had - which going bu the episode wasn't much.

As to when that was, that's anyone's guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: