Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B10: Voice from the Past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:

Surely if they could control Blake's mind, why didn't they get him to beam Travis on board when everyone was asleep - he could have shot everyone in their sleep and buggered off in the Liberator.

That would have made a better plot...

yehh good point but,it'd make it a bit difficult writing the next episode though! LOTI-S
pickle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RENOUNCE!!
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:

In the chat room just now, I was theorising :

OH, WERE YOU NOW? Crazy
the masters of cheese

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watched this this morning....soooooooooooooooo funny id forgotten what a gem this ep is
i think travis as shivan is the funniest character in the whole series with such lines as
IISSSSSSSSSS HEEEEE COME
and
DO U THIIIINK I HAAAVENT SMELT YOU OUT
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Squad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the masters of cheese wrote:
watched this this morning....soooooooooooooooo funny id forgotten what a gem this ep is
i think travis as shivan is the funniest character in the whole series with such lines as
IISSSSSSSSSS HEEEEE COME
and
DO U THIIIINK I HAAAVENT SMELT YOU OUT

At least he dished his Bryan Ferry haircut and looked more ragged. The beginning of this ep, where Blake is under some influence reminded me of Journey into space (sci-fi radio play) where the characters underway to Mars are hypnotized by a strange noise and fall asleep. It made me think this ep may have been more exciting if it were a radio play. Some scenes/dialogue dragged on a bit. And than the plotholes why did Travis not kill Cally and Avon? Or why did Cally not send Travis into space? I suppose they had to make it till the end of the season at least..!
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the weakest, worst-looking stories ever. (Apart, obviously, from Jenna's blue dress.)

BUT it has that scene in the empty conference centre, with Servalan's eye appearing on the screen. Fantastic, memorable, powerful TV that more than makes up for the 45 minutes' worth of silliness that preceded it
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Brian Croucher's acting is bad most of the time but this episode he is particularly rubbish.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed like a good idea, handled very strangely. The crew seems to have it proven to them more than once that Blake's being controlled, then they go back to acting unsure, and end up going along with him. The whole plan has holes in it, but in the end, they just shrug and get on with it.

Perhaps that was the point. Maybe the idea behind this story was how easily seemingly capable people can be drawn into bad, disastrous plans, bit by bit, without realizing it until it's too late. That seems to be one theme we see in one form or another, throughout B7.

Part of it might be that however temporary and unimportant these Fed politicians might be to the viewer, who knows they'll be gone next week, in B7 they're powerful, well-known figures. Maybe that influenced even Avon to shut up about his concerns.

If Avon and Jenna over-rode Blake it might have completely alienated a crucial ally, I guess, since only Blake and his reputation seemed to matter to the politicians.

Yes, the indigo dress is very nice, and what I think of as the leather flight-suit is of course amazing, even though I hope it's some futuristic leather substitute... (though in B7's harsher future, who'd bother?) and the lapels somehow seem too present-day.

As for that backdrop on the surface of the asteroid, that's definitely the worst "effect" ever. It's so incredible, literally, that for some time I thought it couldn't possibly really have been meant to show the asteroid's surface. Maybe it's a painting someone did on the wall of the building, I thought. The painting's as bad as having the Liberator bouncing along on the end of a very visible string in a fan parody...

I don't think we have any genuinely bad episodes till early in s3, though. There are still ideas at work here, that bad plot points don't ruin. Episodes like this one are very flawed gems.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the episode would have been better if instead of Travis posing as Shivan it was Dev Tarrant, only drawback is that Jenna and Avon wouldn't know him. Better yet, how about Raiker from Space Fall?

Davecabs wrote:
Just watched Voice From The Past - and it is definitely one of the worst episodes. It was just a filler before the Star One trilogy - Blake even says at the end that they should get back to hunting for Star One.

Surely if they could control Blake's mind, why didn't they get him to beam Travis on board when everyone was asleep - he could have shot everyone in their sleep and buggered off in the Liberator.

That would have made a better plot...

Did anyone fail to spot that Chevan was actually Travis???

The Federation didn't have the means to control Blake's mind, Van Glynd had received the device from the Aurons; "But when the Arbiter General acquired the course interceptor from our sympathizers on Auron, and with it the means of contacting you in person, our plans were at last complete.
thunda

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good Jenna episode. It shows her loyalty to the man that gave her freedom in that she's not prepared to 'relieve him of command' unless absolutely necessary, yet it also shows how she's not going to blindly follow him anywhere.

AVON If the tone is in some way related to the dream, we must change course back to Del Ten.
JENNA No, Avon, try Orac first.
AVON For?
JENNA A fuller diagnosis.

-----------------------------------------------------------

BLAKE I command this ship.
AVON Do you indeed?
JENNA You lead. We don't take commands.
boroboy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda - I am not so sure about Jenna's role in this episode. After the initial bits you noted, she was missing in flight deck scenes and I found her strangely absent for most of the episode. But then, there she is on Atlay.

A few other observations:
- doesn't Blake worry about being controlled again. What is to stop someone else from doing it. Or does he "break" his programming in this episode. Not clear to me.
- Avon's stupid baiting of Vila ("you, perhaps" when talking about a new leader) just alienates Vila so he lets Blake go.
- Avon & Cally play detective. Like in Mission to Destiny.
- I love the slogan "From strength, as we say, to unity". I have used that with my family on many occasions.
thunda

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroboy wrote:
thunda - I am not so sure about Jenna's role in this episode. After the initial bits you noted, she was missing in flight deck scenes and I found her strangely absent for most of the episode. But then, there she is on Atlay.

Since Jenna was accompanying Blake to a social event she had to change into something more formal and you know it takes women forever to get ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: