Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B2: Shadow
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:
BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Is this the best written episode of the entire series ?

No.

thunda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:

You could actually make a case for this episode being the overall best written,especially when you take into consideration the main characters,secondary characters,plot,sub-plot,dialogue and story,it didn't have too many weak points.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:
BLAKESCREWE wrote:

No.

What is then ?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Boucher's first script for Blake's 7 is amazing - twisted, clever and funny. One of the best of the series in fact.

Making Orac appear evil is very clever, especially considering his ambigous role in Redemption. Cally's possession - admitedly one of the series cliche's - is well done, especially the extreme close up on her eye.

The set design, costume (bar Vila who keeps on drawing the short straw for some reason. I know he's a coward, but does he have to wear bright yellow? ) and make up are the best since Duel. All the cast are strong here. Gan's new role as the 'moral voice' is surprisingly effective and Avon gets some get great dry lines. Blake is very gritty and far from sympathetic here, treating the dreamheads in almost as immoral a way as Largo and destroying the Moon Discs even though they effectively saved humanity.

That being said, the supporting cast - especially Bek and Largo - are even more interesting than the regulars in this one - something that happens a few times in this season.

One point though. If the President of the Terra Nostra is also the President of the Federation, does that mean Servalan inherrited that position when he was overthrown? And would she have continued the Shadow operation? On the evidence of Gambit and Rumours she has a taste for decadence, but would she have tolerated the existence of any power base bar the Federation? Or was the Pacification drug she later 'invented' in fact based on what she learnt from her criminal contacts?
dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Way Back we see that the Federation is already drugging its citizens (although of course it appears to be a much milder example of such).
Hence with or without Servalan they may well have headed down this course.

And given the political machinations that occur that we only get glimpses of (the whole reason for Sleer for example) she isn't necessarily the only player making such decisions.
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was weird. I know it all explained everything in the end but when all the cally orac stuff was going on, it just looked like surreal nonsense! And those discs-on-a-string?!?!?!??!
Some good lines though...
Richard1978

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of watching Brush Strokes it was interesting to see Karl Howman playing a very different part.

There's almost an overload of good ideas in this episode, & Gan & Cally get to shine for once.
pickle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great episode. i love the 5 way flight deck squabble, the moral ambiguity, and the sheer enjoyable farce of Vila hiding the most advanced computer system known to man so that he can go and have a drink.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best ever B7 episode - nuff said!
briggsy1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the description of the addicts hooked on Shadow as "Dreamheads." Wonderful! This is definitely one of my favourite episodes.
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*A pro keeps things simple".

Good advice from Largo's enforcer, which I've always tried to apply to my job.

One of the best ever B7 episodes, in my opinion. Amongst the memorable dialogue quoted above, I always remember "He didn't need another drift for a few hours" - not only inventing their own illegal substance but also the druggy slang to go with it.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in my head that this is the first non-Terry-Nation-written one, but I'm not sure. It expanded the world of B7 outward into new areas, and started making it more complicated than it had been, which you need more than one writer to do.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
I have it in my head that this is the first non-Terry-Nation-written one, but I'm not sure. It expanded the world of B7 outward into new areas, and started making it more complicated than it had been, which you need more than one writer to do.

I agree. Other writers should have built upon this episode and made mention of the B7 crew being hunted not only by the Federation but also by organized crime. It magnifies the sheer hoplessness of their crusade yet also increases their overall legend.
boroboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Thunda. It is an episode that is complete within itself, but also gives us more ideas about the Federation. That the Terra Nostra "criminal" organization is led by the same people that lead the Federation raises a few questions. We know that presidents come and go as political winds change direction. This episode would imply that whoever is president leads the TN. SO if one became president one would inherit the position. So there must be an organizational structure within the federation leadership. I wonder what Bercol and Rontane knew? That is one very well kept secret - so there can't be many that know. However, it does go against the "order" that the federation stands for - not just for the regular grades but also for Servelan and other leaders. Maybe if we replace "order" with "control" this becomes more palatable. Criminality is tolerated, planned for and controlled (at least at a high level - not Vila's level). It is another form of "order". I wonder what happened to the TN after the intergalactic war? With all new federation leadership could the TN survive. Maybe it went independent - there are lots of opportunities for organized crime during wartime and at times of shortages - in running a black market. I wish there had been more episodes like this showing us more aspects of federation life outside the military and their conquests. Things like (bread and circus style....): were there good shows on the vidsceens? Any organized sports - with local teams? Other political parties, alternative newspapers, music shows/concerts/theatre, etc. We know there were bars, cafes, and places for other hedonistic acts (and Vila knows about them all!!!).
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how Blake always brags how advanced the Liberator's med lab is but never asks Zen if it is possible to synthesize some type of non addictive drug to get Hannah off of Shadow. Blake didn't give a damn about her or Bek, he only went back to get a sample of her Shadow for Zen to analyze. Heartless b@#$@%d! That's why I love this episode!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: