Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B2: Shadow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Episode B2: Shadow Reply with quote

This really is a gritty episode, one of my favourites, and I'm so glad they picked it as a commentary episode. Chris Boucher broke onto the B7 writing rather than editing scene with a bang.

I liked the fact that they made proper use of Cally's telepathy for a change rather than it turning into something they would rather forget. Bek and Hanna were perhaps the two most tragic of all the guest stars the show has ever had. Largo was gorgeously evil.

And a double wammy at the end, revealing that the Terra Nostra is run by the Federation and Blake giving Bek the chance to press the button.

Regrets: Basically that themes were not followed up in later episodes. I'd like to have seen and heard more of the Terra Nostra. We never saw Cally's pet moondisc again. Her telepathy was not used as a matter of course regularly (things like the counting for Blake so she knew what had been said). And I'd like to know more of this dimension that Orac uses for transmission.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did`nt that scene where Blake and Cally had the telepathic link when Blake was under the threat from Largo and he was waiting for Cally to answer when she came accross a certain number that Blake had picked ? . Went on far too long - what was up with Largo then ? . He must have been a little bit suspicious ! .
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Did`nt that scene where Blake and Cally had the telepathic link when Blake was under the threat from Largo and he was waiting for Cally to answer when she came accross a certain number that Blake had picked ? . Went on far too long - what was up with Largo then ? . He must have been a little bit suspicious ! .

I agree - that scene could have been done so much better. It needed to be much faster-paced - the audience are clever enough to cotton on what's going on without drawing it out so laborously, and as you say, Largo would surely have wondered what on earth was going on!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode B2: Shadow Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:
This really is a gritty episode, one of my favourites, and I'm so glad they picked it as a commentary episode. Chris Boucher broke onto the B7 writing rather than editing scene with a bang.

I liked the fact that they made proper use of Cally's telepathy for a change rather than it turning into something they would rather forget. Bek and Hanna were perhaps the two most tragic of all the guest stars the show has ever had. Largo was gorgeously evil.

And a double wammy at the end, revealing that the Terra Nostra is run by the Federation and Blake giving Bek the chance to press the button.

Regrets: Basically that themes were not followed up in later episodes. I'd like to have seen and heard more of the Terra Nostra. We never saw Cally's pet moondisc again. Her telepathy was not used as a matter of course regularly (things like the counting for Blake so she knew what had been said). And I'd like to know more of this dimension that Orac uses for transmission.

MoonDiscs aka Soprons became Sopron Alliance of New York B7 Fan Club
Used to be a member Fun group always ended up at the Pub,unlike
the tea totalling Star Trek groups...Yawning!
I also enjoyed the episode Steve. Bek could have stayed on as a crew member. He could have been a central character avenging his sister's death contributing to Liberator's crew in a yeoman capacity at first.
Largo was a memorable villain...So many threads to weave together from
this episode story wise. I was not surprised about Feds and TerraNostra.
In the states we joke about the legal and illegal Mafia as being one mind.
Politicians being the legal Mafia
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:

The first time I watched the ep, I thought that scene was a bit naff - just imagine if the answer was 50!! But later I thought they covered it up well by Blake asking "Cally, are you there?" and then she answers the question quickly when they ask it again. Largo is not likely to suspect telepathy is he?
Solstice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless Largo's cat was also telepathic
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:

Although the scene seemed to take a long time,since most of it took place in Blake's mind.it probably was actually quicker than it appeared to us.I hope that makes sense the way I explained it .
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Although the scene seemed to take a long time,since most of it took place in Blake's mind.it probably was actually quicker than it appeared to us.I hope that makes sense the way I explained it .

Nice observation there thunda! I never thought about it that way before. It's almost as if you can hear the machinery in Blake's head ticking and crackling away and blowing out all the cobwebs
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite episode,I could probably post all month about it.I'll try to keep it brief and just deal with the main characters and how I believe their dialogue defines them.

BLAKE "Earth is all I'm interested in."
Now we see that Blake is not the traditional hero that we're used to seeing in science fiction.He's not too particular what means he uses to accomplish his ends.I'm pretty sure he only came back for Bek and Hanna so he could get a sample of Shadow.

CALLY "This is the weaponry officer on the battle cruiser Liberator."
Sometimes we think of Cally as a hard core warrior,but we tend to forget that her specialty was communications.She's a thinker before a fighter.

GAN " The drug in return for their help? Blake, that would make us pushers."
Gan usually looks for the bright side of Blake's plans,but this time he calls it like it really is.Maybe David Jackson's best performance of his brief stint on B7.My only complaint was he didn't show any disgust at being captured by the Terra Nostra.

VILA "And risk being left behind when we go and meet your friend?"
JENNA "Largo's no friend of mine. When I met him on Callisto he forgot to mention he was a member of the organization. Just said he wanted me to run a cargo into Earth. He didn't tell me what it was at first."
GAN "Drugs?"
JENNA "Shadow. I turned him down."
AVON "Very sensible. Possession carries a mandatory death sentence."
JENNA "That wasn't the reason."
While Avon only seems concerned only with the legal aspect of transporting Shadow,Jenna seems more concerned with the moral aspect.Apparently,even as a smuggler there's a line she won't cross.She's still willing to support Blake though,and I noticed when he referred to Largo as "your friend",she didn't correct him.Must be love.
Not really a good Vila episode,but it does show that as possibly the only "lifetime" criminal on Liberator,his main goal is to satisfy himself.

AVON "WE chose the wrong approach?"
BLAKE "I chose the wrong approach. Does it matter?"
AVON "Yes, it does "
I think Avon was getting a little fed up with the way Blake was always dismissing his opinion.Now he gets Blake to admit that he's not infallible.If you notice near the end Avon takes center stage while Blake becomes more of a sidekick.
Starkers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunda, I very much agree that this is one of Gan's best episodes, it's also the episode where Blake gets more interesting...to me at least. Less likeable, but more interesting.

I think this is the one where a teleport accident alters Cally's hair as well...
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starkers wrote:

I think this is the one where a teleport accident alters Cally's hair as well...

I was a bit confused about that ending.Did "burns the President's garden" mean destroy some of the moon discs? Seems like destroying the collection and processing plant might have been kinder,considering the discs just saved most of their lives.I'm suprised Cally didn't object.
Starkers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Starkers wrote:

I was a bit confused about that ending.Did "burns the President's garden" mean destroy some of the moon discs? Seems like destroying the collection and processing plant might have been kinder,considering the discs just saved most of their lives.I'm suprised Cally didn't object.

Hmm, that is a very good thought! I suppose Cally is a very practicle girl at heart, and she did save one of them!!
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jst seen this episode, and i thought it was excellent,
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the best written episode of the entire series ?
Davecabs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Is this the best written episode of the entire series ?

No.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: