Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Aftermath
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zedro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Aftermath Reply with quote

Hello all.

Not sure if this has been discussed before so apologies if it has.

Has anyone any clear idea of how long this Galactic War is supposed to have lasted?

It starts at the end of Star One and, we assume, ends at the beginning of Aftermath. How long is the gap in between? I'm hoping for an answer other than "a couple of school terms in the 70s".

I get the impression that it lasted only a few weeks but, in that time, Servalan is supposed to have overthrown everyone to become President and then been in place long enough to feel secure enough to go sight-seeing on the battlefield.

Plus, we see how relatively quickly the Liberator's energy reserves can get depleted when it's scrapping with a few Federation ships. How on Earth did they hold off an alien battle fleet for a few hours til the Federation turned up?
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more likely that the battles to defeat Andromeda's invasion took place over a period of three to four months (quite how Avon & co plus Servalan are wearing the same outfits is never answered, although I would assume she'd have quite a few of those white dresses).

As for the Liberator, I'm assuming you're basing the comment on the events of Duel and Hostage. For Duel, Liberator had been running for some time and when Travis pounced, had been recharging for a short time only.
Hostage was a different matter entirely. Whilst the Liberator managed to escape, it was at maximum speed, with the forcewall at 360 and taking a considerable number of hits.

If I was in Vila's position during the battle at Star One, I'd keep the forcewall forward only and use the blasters sparingly, targetting the alien ships directly in the centre of the gap, the resulting explosions forcing the others on the flanks into the minefield itself. It all depends on how good the targeting computers are. Set it up properly and you'd be able to do a great deal of damage without firing too often.

Besides which, Liberator was only holding the aliens until the Federation fleet arrived, which was in perhaps ten hours given the radio chatter towards the end of Star One (looking forward to watching the DVD tomorrow!)
zedro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points there. Another thing that puzzled me was when the Supreme Couturier heard the Liberator's warning about the alien fleet and she believed it straigh away. Especially given that it was actually signed FROM BLAKE. No pause to wonder of it was a trick to send the Federation's fleet to the far end of the galaxy while Blake did something nastily insurrectionist closer to home.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. Servalan knew Blake's one real weakness was that he was an honest, compassionate man, albeit fighting a war against a truly evil system which made him really contemplate committing what could have been the ultimate crime.

Blake had never tried this sort of trick earlier and I'm sure that Servalan realised this. She knew he was going after Star One, so why else was he out that far? With everything that had happened on the outer worlds - causing chaos prior to an invasion is a long establised military tactic (read some of the underhand tactics used by the Nazis during WWII prior to the invasions of Denmark, Norway and Holland) - it was logical to assume that Blake WAS telling the truth.
callyfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember in Star One her subordinate called her Madame President. She was the Supreme Commander and her troops followed her blindly. In my opinion she had consolidated her power long ago but was waiting for the right moment to pounce. The failure of Star One gave her the opportunity and her loyal troops followed her. She went to give them moral (yeah right) support and got caught in the middle of Thaarn(sp). The space battles in the beginning were not thought out very well. They used stock footage of explosions. The Federation Pursuit ships were after the aliens not the Liberator, though it looked like they fired on her. I have studied those battles over and over. I did like Dayna's origin especially her reason for killing Servalan personaly. I am just glad they called the episode Aftermath and not Algebra
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Aftermth for the simple reson that it was the first B7 episode I saw. At the time I assumed that Avon had always been the main hero and wasn't really sure why they kept on going on about this Blake guy.

Anyway, although it's not on such an epic scale as Star One, I still think it's very good. Paul Darrow and Jackie Pearce seem to have really relished taking their characters in different directions. Replacing the Travis obsession to kill Blake theme with their equally obsessive love-hate relationship was a clever move. The look on Avon's face when he says 'I'd be dead in a week' re-assures us that B7 isn't going to turn into a love story though! Servalan's reaction is well done too - the look on her face suggests she isn't used to being knocked back. No wonder she becomes a bit obsessed with him - probably no-one else has ever said no and lived!

It's Dayna first episode of course and I think Josette makes a very good debut. Although there are touches of Leela about her, she is very much an independant , intelligent woman who isn't going to trail round after Avon like Jenna did with Blake. In fact at the risk of annoying Cally's fans, I'd say Dayna is the first effective female crewmember. Giving her a blood fued with the other strong woman Servalan is a neat touch. I honestly think that if they had wanted to kill of Servalan in Season 4, it should have been Dayna who did it.

Cy Town looks a bit silly in those enourmous shoulder pads and the lightbulb on his chest, but Mellanby is an ambiguous and sad figure. This is the first time that we see Servalan pull the trigger herself and her relish at his death is quite chilling.

And finally the Space War itself. Okay so it's made up of shots from previous episodes and it seems wierd that the Nova Queen and Space City should be slugging it out. But it was the first B7 scene I saw and I thought it was amazing at the time. And I've never entirely stopped loving it
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t like this too much - that fed crew who came on board The Liberator were pathetic , pretty boy Tarrant fooled then too easily and it just has the feeling of tiredness to me - and no Blake !
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE
Quote:
Don`t like this too much - that fed crew who came on board The Liberator were pathetic , pretty boy Tarrant fooled then too easily and it just has the feeling of tiredness to me - and no Blake !

"Well now," - Wrong episode "BC" - we only see Tarrant in the last minute or, so in "AFTERMATH". "KLEGG & Co" don't come on untill "POWERPLAY" which, is the following episode!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops ! Told you I dont like season 3 that much !
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:

Put yourself in Klegg's position. He's stuck with a motley collection of old
troopers (one of whom seems to have extrad in every 70's episode of Dr Who) and then he finds a cute young captain.

Still lets save this for the Powerplay thread eh?
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Aftermath and Powerplay together as one extended episode really... and I think it's great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:
I see Aftermath and Powerplay together as one extended episode really... and I think it's great

Yeah, me too. It's a fresh beginning and these two set out the new style of the show in the same way that The Way Back and Spacefall did for the old style.

Because I started out with the non-Blake episodes, the lack of Gareth Thomas doesn't bother me. I've always thought of it as Avon's show!!
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy
Quote:

"Futsie"
Quote:
]I see Aftermath and Powerplay together as one extended episode really... and I think it's great

Quote:
Yeah, me too. It's a fresh beginning and these two set out the new style of the show in the same way that The Way Back and Spacefall did for the old style.

"Well now," - I AGREE that "AFTERMATH" and, "POWERPALY" are, linked-together in, a similar way.

Cockroach Boy
Quote:

Because I started out with the non-Blake episodes, the lack of Gareth Thomas doesn't bother me. I've always thought of it as Avon's show!!

"Well now," - It was always Avon 's show even when was around and, thought he was in charge!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bothered by Blake's absence because season 3 brings together a better cast. Don't get me wrong, I like Gareth Thomas, but I feel Pacey and Josette gave the show a much needed boost. I do find Dayna a bit annoying at times, but its preferable in comparisom to how stale Jenna had become.
inge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermath and Powerplay are 2 of my favourite episodes. Tarrant was suitably sinister, at least for a while.
Dayna and her father were a good introduction to the new season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: