Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B3: Weapon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imipak sounds like some kind of revolutionary waxing treatment. I thought it was a pretty crappy weapon!
Richard1978

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume designer had a thing for big collars in this episode.

The quirks of marking with Imipak are confusing, as already mentioned.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching this episode last night and I noticed something that could be regarded as a logical (or moral) inconsistency in the clonemaster's manifesto

Not to re-state the whole Clonemasters spiel, but the important bits I want to pick at are what is called 'The Rule of Life' and its basis 'all life is linked'. It seems that the clonemasters ragard the 'process' of life as being of ultimate importance and should not be interfered with.

However, when Travis asks about an enemy who has no respect for life (rather prescient of Travis given the present climate) the clonemaster says that they would help protect them (the federation) from such a threat.

This strikes me as a major flaw in the clonemaster's thinking. An enemy who doesn't believe in the rule of life is a PRODUCT of the process of life and, as such, should not be interfered with. The clonemasters wouldn't want to get rid of crocodiles just because they eat zebras would they?

Even if the enemy is a type of machine (thinking of the Headhunter android for a moment), a mechanised enemy is ultimately the product of some life force that may have superceded (in the way that Orac predicts in the Headhunter episode) the life form that created it. Such a machine is also a product of life and, according to the clonemaster's manifesto, should be allowed to run it's course, no matter how disaterous that course ends up being.

The clonemasters claim to be objective and do not wish to meddle. That they would interfere with the process of life in some circumstances invalidates their objectivity.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Clonemaster might be being deliberately vague here. Althought the Federation is dependent on them for their technology, they could still make life very difficult for the Clonemasters and would probably be wiped out if they refused to co-operate.

It maybe thatTravis is deliberately reminding her that for all her aloof behaviour - which clearly irks both him and Servalan - she still owes them loyalty and that ultimately they are on the same side whether she likes it or not.

The Clonemaster tries to bluster, aknowledging that they would have to help the Federation but trying to pretend that this is part of their philosophy rather than a pragmatic necessity.

This connect well with otherinstances in the series when supposed nuetrality isn't really an option. In the aftermath of the galatic war they have tried tried to take advantage of the Federation's disarray and break free - and were then wiped out in retaliation (though dialogue from Children of Auron seems to imply that they perished during the war, this is not explicitly stated and it might not be a co-incidence that they are mentioned in an episode in which a race is wiped out by an apparently benevolent Federation)

This beggar the question - if the highly advanced Clonemasters could not stay apart from the galaxy, what chance do Rashel and the clone have?
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
This beggar the question - if the highly advanced Clonemasters could not stay apart from the galaxy, what chance do Rashel and the clone have?

I suppose two people, on a deserted planet in the middle of nowhere could survive virtually unhindered.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
I was watching this episode last night and I noticed something that could be regarded as a logical (or moral) inconsistency in the clonemaster's manifesto

Not to re-state the whole Clonemasters spiel, but the important bits I want to pick at are what is called 'The Rule of Life' and its basis 'all life is linked'. It seems that the clonemasters ragard the 'process' of life as being of ultimate importance and should not be interfered with.

I think the Clonemasters have drawn a clear line between "playing God" and only "mimicking God" (for lack of better terms).I believe The Rule of Life isn't about "life" in the sense of living and killing or good and evil,but "life" in the sense of singularity.All "life" or entities should be unique.Having more than one of the same "entity" at the same time would be a violation of their rule.That means an adult clone and the original,or more than one of the same clones at the same time,as in "army of fanatics",would be crossing the line.If you notice,Fen says "a single cell was taken from her and stimulated into growth." Having a single baby clone and an adult would not be a violation because the baby would only have the potential to be the same as the adult original.It would not technically be the same as the adult original.Having two or more of the same clones as babies or adults would be a violation because the uniqueness of each would be gone.They managed to find a loophole with the Blake copies because technically the two copies were not clones of Blake,they were created from scatch.In religious terms they had no souls.I mention religion because the whole Clonemaster scene had a strong Christian mood about it.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if anyone else has come up with this idea*, but is it possible that Travis II is himself some kind of modifed clone, or if not a clone, then a Travis-like replacement grown by the clonemasters?

The last thing Servalan said to Travis number 1 at the end of "Orac" was "You're in a lot of trouble, Travis". Maybe he was done away with then...

So, in "Weapon", when she arranged for the Blake clone to be brought out to see how the new Travis would react, she was testing him rather than the Blake clone -

Travis "You used me like some automatic fault tracer"
"And you functioned beautifully!"

*or even if I've come up with it before... my... umm... not what it used be... whatchamacallit... you know.... err... MEMORY, that's it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, this idea came up last year...I think it's possible quite he's a clone. I'll revive that thread!!
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all the plot holes discussed above (and here's another one; why is the clone wearing exactly the same clothes Blake happens to have put on that morning?) this was one of my favourite episodes.

The main reason is the quality of the supporting acting. I think Rashel (??) the slave girl and Carnell the puppeteer give excellent performances and the actor who plays the scientist is outstanding - the way he projects a mix of affection and contempt for Rashel being just one example.

I also like the mad costumes. It amuses me to think that maybe the Federation suffers from the same fashion crazes that our world does. (This season, everyone will be wearing . . . big collars!)

Finally, the bickering of the crew aboard the Liberator at the start of the episode is well up to the usual standard. It includes the memorable moment where Gan, of all people, calls Avon 'stupid'. Also, is this the episode where it's made pretty clear that Blake and Jenna have paired off?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never spotted the hole about them wearing the same close. Good one.

A lot of B7 fans are more convinced that it was Blake and Avon who paired off.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZEN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:
I'd never spotted the hole about them wearing the same close. Good one.

Then you'd have also missed the fact that not only was the clone attired in the same clobber, but had the same mannerisms! Blake zipping his shirt up on the flight deck, and the clone doing likewise prior to entering the building complext

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 96
ZEN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucifer Sam wrote:

where Gan, of all people, calls Avon 'stupid'.

Did he!! He said something like "You may be a clever man , but you're not very bright" to Avon But that was in Timesquad

Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right Zen.

I actually rewatched Weapon last night and Gan calling Avon 'not very bright' doesn't happen. I think, yes, that particular exchange is from Time Squad.

One thing I really enjoyed in Weapon which I'd forgotten was the exchanges between Servalan and Travis II. "I don't find stupidity amusing, Travis."
ZEN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the part where she says " Of all the crippled- brained idiots" and he responded with " Me or you?" Her reaction Makes one wonder if she was just taken back by his responce, or maybe that he was more closer to the truth than he realised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: