Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B9: Countdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking forward to seeing them again after 20 years! My season 3 arrived today. woo!
pickle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Blake refuses to teleport up at "50", does that mean he stayed right till the end of the countdown, so that he would rather die than lose avon?
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickle wrote:
When Blake refuses to teleport up at "50", does that mean he stayed right till the end of the countdown, so that he would rather die than lose avon?

Yes.

I was watching this episode the other day (again) and I was woundering whether this served as inspiration for Volcano as this episode involved a lot of dying for one's principles by blowing up an entire planet. Why didn't the federation put more of these on other special planets like Albion? one more question. Why didn't Provine put his ID in the Sargent's pocket to delay detection from the resistance?
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of BOMBs has led me to wonder why Blake7 is considered by most Critics to be One! Considering the money spent, it makes Star-Twreck scripts and stories seem like Kiddies stories! Star Warts is like a foul taste in my mouth no amount of brushing will get rid of.
Why o Why, in the Star T/W Univ's do they need to station at least 2 h-armed Guards outside Persons confined to their Cabins. You'd think by that stage in history boring ,mind numbing and degreadeing tasks like standing to attention for an entire work-shift, would be done by computers or semi-A'i Drones! Picard,(Earl grey not chocoholic ) prattles on ,to anybody that sits still long enough, about self improvement beaing the Drivelling Farce ...sorry, (Universal translator error paylink up a grin ) driving force behind Human Evolution/Developement in the 23-4th Century. Errrkkkk. Give me Blake's7 .. or even Babel-on 5 any daze of the lite-year! damn this Universal Vibra....Trains later thing!!!!!

Picard t,C, E!..... he probably couldn't put it in his pocket because an archaic/ancient chemical feuled Orbital Insertion Vehical was already occupying all the space in there!
If Tel Nation had written this episode, the inside of the pocket wood have bean bigger than the out-side but he didn't!
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rascal wrote:
Picard,(Earl grey not chocoholic ) prattles on ,to anybody that sits still long enough, about self improvement beaing the Drivelling Farce ...sorry, (Universal translator error paylink up a grin ) driving force behind Human Evolution/Developement in the 23-4th Century. Errrkkkk. Give me Blake's7 .. or even Babel-on 5 any daze of the lite-year! damn this Universal Vibra....Trains later thing!!!!!

Picard t,C, E!..... he probably couldn't put it in his pocket because an archaic/ancient chemical feuled Orbital Insertion Vehical was already occupying all the space in there!
If Tel Nation had written this episode, the inside of the pocket wood have bean bigger than the out-side but he didn't!

I won't take it personally little rascal (but your words are like a phaser blast to me!)

I think there is a very different appraoch to both but at the sametime there is a very simialr basis for both. So for example the ideal utopian federation is presented in ST compared to B7's outlook which is not so good. It could be that they both appeal to the time's that they where written in. Or that Nation took the prinicple of putting a ship and a crew that where going to go after great adventures in their ship just like Roddenberry had already done on ST.
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you dont take personally, I for 1 am also a fan of Star Trek, and I do like Picard's character. It's just not the sort of Space Fare-ing Utpoia I think I would enjoy. (Iain M Banks's Culture series Utopian/Anarchy is some-where I think I'd rather inhabit). Rather than a differance in the times they were written in,the I believe the differance in S-T and B7 is a more a Nationalistic One. Star Trek is the Amercan "Can Do", the" Amercan way"( they still say "yes Sir No Sir, three bags full Sir!") etc! B7 is more a "futursistic Robin Hood, cum Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table " approach to fiction/comedy. The Super-Hero ethos is definitely an American invention. Thor may have had his Hammer, Wayland had his Smithy, Arthur Excalibar and Cuchulainn had his Spear,. But they didn't fight for Truth, Justice and the AM-Way! Punishing evil-doers and giving the Police-force an Arm-chair ride. By the way, was Superman an Officer of the Law? If not, Lex Lutherian could pursue him in court for un-lawful arrest! Has any-one ever seen him show a Search Warrant or Read some-one their Rights! I dont think SO!!!

As a Star-Trek fan I do think that Picard was the best Captain in the Franchais , sorry Federation of Planets, not the Terror iN Federation in Blake World. Interesting that after only 100 years of Warp tech-knowology Earthlings are Running the Show. Defeating the Klingons and not long afterwards, Conquouring the Cardasians, Ruining the Romulans, Domminating the Domminion (and their Genetic Junkies Soldiers, the JemHdar,,, sounds suspiciously like Jihad to me!!!!! ), and even Beating-Up on the Borge! Makes you proud to be a Carbon Based Primate!!!
Kirk? love him 2nd! Especially after he was sent back to the 21st Century to head-up the Law firm of Crane, Poole and Schmitt!. Star Wars ? May the Farce be with-out Me!
Blake 7 appealls because the Characters are one's we can all identify with! These are Real Humans with all the failings , and feelings real people have. Things are rarely B/W in B7. This is why, I think I love this Show so much! End transmission!

P,s Can you imagine if the Episode Orbit was done by STAR-TREK?
Picard "Computer.. we must loose 473 kilos to reach Orbit . What useless item/s can we jettison to loose 473 kilos."
Computer " ....Commander Riker,,, weighs 481 kilos!"
Picard .." Errr,, Number One , would report to the Garbage Shute imediately , I have a little job for you!"

Last edited by Little Rascal on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:40 am; edited 5 times in total
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rascal wrote:
The US seem to things only in Black and White, no shades of grey. I know Im stereo-typeing here but generally what I say is true!
Ive forgotten what this Post was about but I meant no offence, I am a Star Trek fan and do think that Picard was the best Captain in the Franchise. ( Kirk, I love too), but again, he is too Right/Wrong for my taste where as Picard, being from the UK, brought a more European/UK outlook his part to the Show.

Star Wars is a Joke!

Blake 7 appealls because the Characters are one s we can all identify with! They are Real Humans with all the failings , and feelings real people have. : Things are rarely B/W in B7. This is why, I think I love this Show so much! End transmission!

Yeah I see you're point with star trek, and yeah you completely right on the star trek front, it is very much about secular humanism and nationalism on the part of the humans involved. I've always wondered if there where any jobs outside the millitary setup of Star Fleet. Star Trek's characters IMO are also quite human and are developed, this is especially true of TNG. B7 I think represents more realistic characters, which as you said is a HUGE difference (but again like ST there are some really OTT characters which I can't imagine anyone becoming.)

I disagree with you about Star Wars though as it is staple science fiction. (Sorry )
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK! I've wiped what I said about Star Wars ( and a few other thinks). Dont want to make more Enemies than I have to! I could go on forever about what's wrong with this Franchias ( that's what they're called in the Business ).
And really, I do like watching Star trek! ( well if you exclude Deep Space Coma 9 ).
Dont be sorry for dis-agreeing! It would be a sad sorry world if we all felt the same way about everything, or pretented to. Which, in a way, is worse I suppose.
I really hate star Wars. Staple or No! I gave it ch....... I just wrote about 200 words on what I dont like about Star wars yet I errased it all because I just relized what I really object to. After the first 2 or 3 films, It was only ever continued with because it would everyone conected with it immensely wealthy. Nothing wrong with makeing a buck, it's just that the films suffered from a general lack of inspiration and originality. Star Wars 1 was a Ground breaking film and 2 wasn't too bad. After that .... a sausage machine churning out the same ol stuff. 3 Movies with 1 ending. Those silly Teddys in the forrest were just embarassing.
Roll Credits.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rascal wrote:
That's OK! I've wiped what I said about Star Wars ( and a few other thinks). Dont want to make more Enemies than I have to! I could go on forever about what's wrong with this Franchias ( that's what they're called in the Business ).
And really, I do like watching Star trek! ( well if you exclude Deep Space Coma 9 ).
Dont be sorry for dis-agreeing! It would be a sad sorry world if we all felt the same way about everything, or pretented to. Which, in a way, is worse I suppose.
I really hate star Wars. Staple or No! I gave it ch....... I just wrote about 200 words on what I dont like about Star wars yet I errased it all because I just relized what I really object to. After the first 2 or 3 films, It was only ever continued with because it would everyone conected with it immensely wealthy. Nothing wrong with makeing a buck, it's just that the films suffered from a general lack of inspiration and originality. Star Wars 1 was a Ground breaking film and 2 wasn't too bad. After that .... a sausage machine churning out the same ol stuff. 3 Movies with 1 ending. Those silly Teddys in the forrest were just embarassing.
Roll Credits.

I didn't mind DS9 for a time, but nowadays I find that ST has lost its touch on me, actually I've floated away from western sci fi (with one exception) but I can see what you mean by saying that they milked it slightly too much with SW and ST. The fact that these franchises have a huge army of fans which means explotative merchandise means that it can turn into power rangers occassionally e.g. ST:ENT.

The orginal star wars was ground breaking but I'd say the others fall into the catorgories of brilliant films behind the orginal. The ewoks though where stupid, I could write an essay on how rubbish ewoks are.
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the release of the Preditor V Alien film it was hailed as a nutuaral coming together of the greatest 2 sci-fi FRANCHIAS ever.I dont know about you but I find the term Sci-Fi franchais a bit worrying. A good film if you just want a bit ov good ol schlock horror last mna/woman standing. Ilove Baby 5. Specially when the SHADWOS ROSE! The Begining was a graet Pre-eQual. It went into the Earth v Mimbar Conflict etc. But again, whats his name ( the Ambassador from Centauri that went on to become Emperor ..rabbiting on about the courage and indomidable fighting Spirit of this Planet stuck in the throat a-bit, for reasons I've out-lined previously.
I like a bit of the riddiculous in my Sci-fi so The 5th Element was great for me. Then they did that Aweful Crusade. But that type of ridiculous is not to my taste, a differant Beast all to-gether.
I don't know if Under-World is Sci-fi or Horror but "WOW" what a film!
DS9, one thing I liked about that was those Fabulous Jem-Hadr " Junkie Samarai Warriors." They were designed by the Studio to look like Rhinos but I thought they looked more like Lizards! Fabulous!!! bit dtrange that a good ol Karate chop to the shoulder often killed them when the plot called for it. Still, great Aliens. Speakings of witch, The A1ien/s series of flicks 5 Stars except for three which I gave a 3 ....and a 1/2.
Is it just me or do you or has any body else thought the original S-Trek Societies repressented Cold War Countries? The Klingons were the Russians. The Vulcans were West-Germans and the Rommulans the off-shoot of the division of Deutchland. Later, the Bajorans were the Isrealis. The Fed was of-course NATO, headed-up by the US. The Ferengi were the Japanese. They didn't invent their own Warp-drive, they bought it.
With the Ending of the Cold War we saw a reconcilliation with the Klingons, in fact good ol Earth saved the Klingon Home world. A co-incidence? Your thoughts ? Feel free to dis-agree. It's only a Theory!
After-life. Great 80's B-grade film!

Last edited by Little Rascal on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rascal wrote:
On the release of the Preditor V Alien film it was called the greatest sci-fi FRANCHIAS ever. A good film if you just want a bit ov good ol schlock horror last mna/woman standing. Ilove Baby 5.

Alien is soooooooooo cool, but the sequals less so. They just lost the great pacing and horror of the orginal, I mean being trapped on a ship with an alien who's going to kill you with no hope of rescue by the Corperation. Just class. Aliens is a let down, it's just far too much "shot 'em up" for me. Loses the edge of the orginal.

Quote:

DS9, one thing I liked about that was those Fabulous Jem-Hadr " Junkie Samarai Warriors." They were designed by the Studio to look like Rhinos but I thought they looked more like Lizards! Fabulous!!! bit dtrange that a good ol Karate chop to the shoulder often killed them when the plot called for it. Still, great Aliens. Speakings of witch, The A1ien/s series of flicks 5 Stars except for three which I gave a 3 ....and a 1/2.

I've always prefered the romulans (for some reason!) The Jem-Hadr where cool, would you say that they're your favourite favourite favourite of all the serieses?

Quote:

Is it just me or do you or has any body else thought the original S-Trek Societies repressented Cold War Countries? The Klingons were the Russians. The Vulcans were West-Germans and the Rommulans the off-shoot of the division of Deutchland. Later, the Bajorans were the Isrealis. The Fed was of-course NATO, headed-up by the US. The Ferengi were the Japanese. They didn't invent their own Warp-drive, they bought it.
With the Ending of the Cold War we saw a reconcilliation with the Klingons, in fact good ol Earth saved the Klingon Home world. A co-incidence? Your thoughts ? Feel free to dis-agree. It's only a Theory!
After-life. Great 80's B-grade film!

It's an interesting theory, indeed I would probably say that Roddenberry had this in mind when doing the show. Never thought the Japanese would be the Ferangi. Who would be China?
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Yes! I loved Alien for much the same reasons! A truely Ground- breaking Film. And Blade Runner too. I did like the 4th very much! I have a soft spot for Winnona and the character of Christie is so ..words fail me!
Second ,
I agree again! I couldn't understand why they were seen so rarely in the Original Series they are way COOOOLLL!
Yupp again! The Jem-Hadr are Sub-Zero, Celsius!
BUT MY all-time Fav are the Creatures from the Fluidic Universe. Species 8572 I think they are Called! and the Hero-gians too ! WOW! Love em both!!! They remeind me off the Idirians in Iain M Banks Culrues Series. (Do your-self a fav and read Consider Phlebus and/ or EXCESSION if you haven't already. I think they will "Blow Your Mind" like they did mine. Banks has set the Bar higher than even William Gibson stuggles to match! Read Necro-mancer. He was writing about the Web and Hackers before it was invented! ( W. Gib that is !) When I stumbled on Banks's Conc' Phle' the writing and World I entered, (the Culture Univ') the writing "HIT Me like a Plasma Bolt!!!" To steal a quote! Best ever writer of Serious Sci-Fiction !!!!!!! EVER!!!
3rdly
Nope your Right and I bow to your supieror Insight! Indeed the Ferengi would be the Chinese!! ( even though Commander Rikers island likened them to "Yankie Traders" what ever they were/are?). I thought the English and Dutch were the model of Early World Ship-Borne commerce but again, S-T is very US-entric. They did win the 1st WW after all.... cough, splutter!

Gene Roddenberry was also very influenced by his Time in the US ARMY Air-force. In the original Series he actually designed the Enterprise around the B17 Bomber. A plane that he flew, & dropped Booms on the Nasties! They say you can see the B17 in the Big E's blue-prints. No Toilets or Showers though!
In the Episode that introduced Khan ( I cant remember the name of it) the Space-ship that he used to Escape the Earth, after the 3rd WW, was a modified US Nuclear Submarine. Whether this was just a cost cutting exersice or a Conscious discission is open to debate but the tele- porters definately were. The Animation costs of having a Star ship , or even a Shuttle land on a Planet or Moon was just too expensive. The Teleport opened up all new plot-lines here-too undreampt of. Forget they are techniqually impossible. The Heisenburg uncertianty Principle takes care of that. Iain M banks uses "Displacers" that create a small worm-hole's to do much the same thing, with-out having to Measure, break-down, transmit to a moving object, (all things are in motion 1 way or the other) and then re-assemble in the EXACT way they were measured. "If you have to take me apart to get there, I dont wanna go!" (a lil' ditti from Red Dwarf). Why I'm telling you all this I dont know, but you seem to be of an E/Inquireing Mind, a trait I admire.
The Bajorans could be any of the small countries that have recently thrown off the Yoke of an Empirical Master. They could be the Afgans or the Kiawati's but my money would be on the Poles or more likely the Tibetians (due mainly to their Religousity. ( i know I'm contadicting myself here, they haven't yet Shuck off the Chinese, but here's hopeing!)!
Cheers!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picard wrote:
Alien is soooooooooo cool, but the sequals less so. They just lost the great pacing and horror of the orginal, I mean being trapped on a ship with an alien who's going to kill you with no hope of rescue by the Corperation. Just class. Aliens is a let down, it's just far too much "shot 'em up" for me. Loses the edge of the orginal.

Alien is a truely breathtaking film. Giger's designs are superb.

Of the sequels, I like Alien 3 the best. For a start I prefer the idea of a single alien, because you know it won't die until the last reel. I also think it's the one that's truest to the 'in space no-once can hear you scream' darkness of the first film. The second film is enjoyable as an action adventure, but basically comforting - family units are re-built and there's always a gun or bomb big enough to wipe out the bad guys. Alien 3 occurs in a comfortless universe where anyone can die at any moment. The prison is also a perfect environment for Giger's unique and brilliant creation.
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to knit-pick but there were 2 Aliens in Al' 3.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rascal wrote:
I dont want to knit-pick but there were 2 Aliens in Al' 3.

True, but one stayed inside Ripley until the end!

In fact in the directors cut you don't even see it burst out of her at the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: