Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

EPISODE A10: BREAKDOWN .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alastairward

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov Seldon wrote:
There's an early version of "Breakdown" titled "The Invaders" where Gan is split in two by aliens and "Good Gan" has to fight "Evil Gan" to protect the rest of the crew. It sounds awful and as dull as Breakdown was, I'm glad that was made!

No way, that would be twice then that the first series aped Star Trek

Just caught this episode, I remembered it most for the scene where Blake suggests removing the surgeon's hands and Avon's approval of this.

I wonder about Avon's cynicism and loyalty, given his computer prowess he could perhaps take the Liberator where he wanted, but never got the chance. Or maybe he fancied his chances in a weaker galaxy, where the Federation and its security forces weren't on hand to track him down.
hogswine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Breakdown had potential to be a good episode but sadly its one of the many from series 1 where obviously not enough dialogue was written so its too padded out.

I don't find Blake's threat to break Kayn's hands out of character. Whether he would actually do it or not is another matter.

It is like the threat to break the antique records in Bounty. Both are appeals to vanity to motivate/coerce the party to bend to his will.

Regarding Gan's character, I was reading somewhere (I think it was on here) that Gan's limiter was meant to specifically prevent him being violent towards women and, in an early draft, he was to be a rapist. The only scenes when he is alone with Jenna, the limiter malfunctions/ Is there any truth in this or is it just a rumour?
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just a speculative theory put forth by the 'Liberation' book I believe.
ZEN

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently during the fight scene on the flight deck with Gan, Gareth Thomas broke his ankle, yet continued the filming.

Whilst the episodes/scenes are not always filmed in order I've never actually seen Gareth limping or anything! However, during a recent Breakdown episode watch with Futs & Gina I noticed this!

Notice that Gareth is obviously keeping the weight off his foot

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 95
Mary Lou Jensen

Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOer! So he is! I'd never heard this before

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Lou Jensen wrote:
OOer! So he is! I'd never heard this before

Yep indeed. Apparently he refused to go to hospital until the days filming had finished. Im sure its mentioned in one of the B7 marvel comics - I'll dig it out

Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I must have read it at some point; ah the failing memory of the aged.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting he never mentioned it once on any of the Together Again tapes. It would have been something you would think he would have done so. I would be interested to read that magazine article you mention. Perhaps someone could ask him about this ankle story at a con sometime.
ZEN

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojblake wrote:
Interesting he never mentioned it once on any of the Together Again tapes. It would have been something you would think he would have done so. I would be interested to read that magazine article you mention. Perhaps someone could ask him about this ankle story at a con sometime.

I've looked through my B7 magazines last night, and Paul Darrow made a fleeting mention of it in his 1st "Paul Darrow Writes" section ( Issue 7)
Here's what he said

"However, it wasn't exactly easy getting ourselves on the screen. Bad weather dogged our filming, occasional strikes put paid to a number of studio days, and all of us were plagued by colds, chills, and on one occasion a leg injury to Blake during a fight sequence.. But Blake limped on and so did the rest of us"

So obviously I didnt get it from the Magazines! It was defo an interview with the director, and he went into a little more detail regarding the incident in question . Im gonna have ta keep looking now

Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Feel better about missing it now. *phew!*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the great episodes, provided you don't see Gan's "breakdown" and the trip to save him as being the focus of the story, and I don't think they are. The part of the episode that matters is all about Julian Glover's character, and his very different, other "breakdown". It just so happened that the great section with Glover could not take up an entire hour episode, so they had to use some of that time getting Gan to the space station.

I think the first post here claimed that Glover was sane and stable before the breakdown, and therefore that his end wasn't credible... and someone even called him an "innocent". Exactly the opposite. They're showing us just what kinds of people support organizations like the Federation. Glover's not stable at all. He's contemptuous, self-obsessed, control-obsessed, and wound so tightly he has to snap eventually. People like this love to talk "law and order", and don't care who gets hurt in the name of "order"... whatever that really is. Like the Federation.

He stays cool most of the time we see him, but that means nothing. He's aloof, not stable. At the end, we see the same exact kind of brutality acted out on a small scale and larger scale. Glover's character's ego he channels into how he thinks of his own surgeon's hands, as the most valuable things in the universe probably (surgeons apparently can get this way)-- the argument heats up, things escalate, and that brushing of his hand happens right at the most bitter, contemptuous, rage-filled moment of his entire life, and he can think of nothing but bashing the (to him) cretin's skull in. He was headed for that moment all his life.

Then the Federation, his law and order buddies, carelessly destroy the whole station without caring.... while Glover is emotionally imploding, staring at his surgeon's precious hands that just beat a man's skull in, like the thugs he thought he hated.

PS-- Right after all this, how dare they insert a light-hearted, jokey moment with Gan, where they all go out laughing their heads off...
ZEN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen "Breakdown" again, after doing some....err....other research And some thing odd occurred to me!

Why exactly did Gan have a limiter-implant fitted in the first place!! Alright, He stated in Time Squad that "I killed a security guard. They said it was murder. But he had a gun. I was unarmed. You see, he killed my woman" Yet we all took his word has to why he had that limiter fitted!

What if we did in fact see the "real" not-so-gentle Gan in this episode! Do we see the relish on his face has he tighten's his grip around Cally's throat! He threw Jenna & Blake around the flight-deck and the limiter didn't slow him down; oh its easy to blame it all on the faulty limiter! But what if Gan really was "A dangerous psychopath?"!! What if this was the "real" Gan! Would the killing of ONE single security guard warrant a limiter-implant in the Federation! . Mores the point, could the limiter be to Gan what the android's head was to Muller's android!!

boroboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEN wrote:
I've just seen "Breakdown" again, after doing some....err....other research And some thing odd occurred to me!

Why exactly did Gan have a limiter-implant fitted in the first place!! Alright, He stated in Time Squad that "I killed a security guard. They said it was murder. But he had a gun. I was unarmed. You see, he killed my woman" Yet we all took his word has to why he had that limiter fitted!

The Federation was experimenting with mind control all the time - they needed people available for work and not locked up or executed (think about how they retrained Blake and tried to retrain Vila). Gan's limiter was just another avenue of research.
The Federations attitude towards crime and punishment is a little strange. Think about all the resources they used to transport people to prison planets - it would have been much cheaper and easier to keep them on earth - or even chuck them out into space and not tell anyone. It could be that they lacked the physical space for prisons on earth in the domes. Or, like when the UK used transportation, the populace did not have the stomach for mass executions and transportation was the alternative.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you believe that Gan's implant was sort of like a forced condition for probation which would keep him in the workforce? Then possibly by continuing to show violent behavior the Fed figured it wasn't worth the risk? Makes sense, being that the alternative is they put the implant in to protect his fellow prisoners from him. Also, I agree with the crime and punishment issue, I think the civilian system was different from the military system and had no death penalty.
The real question is what did Gan do to warrant an implant? "Security guard" implies he was on duty so I'm thinking perhaps he and his woman were in the act of stealing something?
boroboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Gan did for him to get the implant is a great area for speculation. But I will say this... Gan is often portrayed as noble/caring in the show so I think we are meant to assume that he was protecting "his woman" from unwarranted attention from the security guard. This is one of the reasons why B7 can be watched over and over again 30 years later. Sometimes we get to see people like trooper Par. He is just a soldier doing a job. But we also see troopers behaving badly (in Aftermath & Moloch but other episodes, too). So its possible that Gan's woman was attacked not during a crime, but just because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and a sadistic trooper attacked her. It is also possible that Gan and his woman were already subversives before Gan joined Blake. In which case maybe the trooper was just roughing up Gan's woman because that's what state security forces do to subversives. It's their "job". As trooper Par says - they give the orders, we just do the shooting.
So - I think that Gan got the limiter as an experimental way of controlling a man who would cause trouble in a traditional prison - unless he was so drugged as to be useless. We have the same issues in the gigantic for profit prison system here in the US. Prisoners are used as very cheap (essentially, slave) labour as part of a very profitable privatized prison industry. You need a steady supply of docile people who are still active enough to provide useful labour. Too many calming drugs and this wouldn't work. The difference is that, currently, at least in California, we don't perform experimental brain surgery on prison inmates. As an aside, there is currently a crisis in the US for-profit prison system in that there are not enough crimes being committed and therefore a lack of criminals and prison population. This is holding back decriminalisation of marijuana legislation in many states. But I digress
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: