Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C5: The Harvest of Kairos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaomiJane wrote:
Ok I really need to see this ep

Its rubbish - Jarvik , the 20th century he man and the living hoover bag !
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin wrote:
Thanks for answering the "Brian the Spider" question!
What on earth do you people seein the episode? II do appreacite the "man versus machine" theme but it is hardly original in S. F. is it?

No,the "man vs. macnine" theme is not original,but what makes this story unique is that it's the antagonist that is struggling to maintain his humanity.It's Jarvik who is waging a war against the machine at the core,Servalan.

Jarvik "But when was the last time you felt the warmth of the Earth's sun on your naked back? Or lifted your face to the heavens, and laughed with the joy of being alive? How long since you wept at the death of a friend? Doesn't mean a thing to you, does it, Madam President? You've surrounded yourself with machines and weapons, mindless men and heartless mutoids; and when they've done your work, and the machines have done your thinking, what is there left in you that feels?

He fails of course,and Servalan chooses to trust a machine rather than her own senses,which is her undoing.He's doomed to fail,just like Blake,progress is inevitable.But he has to try.By American standards Jarvik would be the "good guy" in this episode.He even gets a heroic death,saving a damsel in distress.

Btw,
Avon never said what he saw when he looked at the sopron.

My name is thunda,and I am a Harvest-er

Last edited by thunda on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
RichardWho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably himself since he thought he was the cleverest person around!
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin wrote:
However, I still feel the whole episode could have been much better handled had Boucher been writing it. He is much more deft when incorporating layers of such imagery into his texts and sculpting the characters in the series.

Boucher could well have incorporated the layers much bettter than Steed, however, I believe that such 'camouflage' would detract from the idea of the distorting mirror of television. It is supposed to be over the top and somewhat mish-mashed because that is exaclty what television is. In order to reference the medium, you must include its faults as well.

thunda wrote:
Avon never said what he saw when he looked at the sopron.

A good point thunda! I'm not totally sure that by looking at sopron one gets the distorting mirror effect. The key reference to what sopron 'looks' like to the crew is probably the following exchange:

Tarrant Life? But it looks like...

Avon A rock. Yes. Well, when you live on the permanent dark side of a planet, nobody cares too much what you look like.

Avon seems confident that it looks like a rock to everybody. More important, I think, is Avon's revelation that sopron lives on the permanent dark side of a planet. I suspect that merely looking at sopron does not give the distorting mirror effect because any creatures or threats to sopron on the permanent dark side of a planet are likely to use a sense other than sight. This is why Zen, Orac and Cally, using senses other than sight, get the full sopron effect whereas everone else, including us the viewers, sees sopron as a rock.

The following exchange, where Tarrant refers to sopron as a 'thing', could possibly indicate that sopron is having an influence on Avon. Perhaps it is affecting Avon more than the others becuase he is the one who is having the most contact with sopron - maybe Avon carries sopron around because he thinks it makes him look a bit taller perhaps Though I'm not thoroughly convinced by this, I think it is just avon being avon and 'naturally' being right in the end:

Tarrant Is this the time or the place? That thing has warped your reason, Avon. It's even warped your notorious instinct for looking after number one. We are in danger, can't you understand that?

Avon I understand that this ship is the most powerful in the galaxy and that you are the most astute space warfare commander... Or so you tell us often enough.

thunda wrote:
My name is thunda,and I am a Harvest-er

Oh thunda, what have we done!?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to try and overcome my anti-Steed prejudice and watch this episode again....
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to watch it again and...well, Paul Darrow is very good in it and the space battle is good. But still...

Jarvik really is a hypocrite isn't he?

He bangs on about honour and not wanting to 'waste' men. Then he leaves behinds gaurds on the Kairopan Cruiser who will get shot. Okay, so it's a trap but it shows that his moral stance is a lie.

Also, Servalan tells him she'd rather not lose any persuit ships and he tells her that she'll have to be quiet if she wants that. Then three ships get destroyed anyway. I don't buy all this stuff that he's a tactical genius. He's just throwing a load of ideas together and hoping that one of them will work.

He claims not to want to follow orders - then goes and challenges Tarrant 'cos Servalan tells him to. His own desire to be a 'primative champion' leads him to take a stupid risk for no sensible reason. Servalan doesn't need to worry about the teleport bracelets - all she need do is tell Zen to ignore any transmissions from them. If he's so smart, how come Jarvik didn'tthink of that?

Intentionally or not, Steed shows the 'primative man' idea to be a doomed and idiotic delusion.

Servalan doesn't come off too well in this one. If she's so bothered about her reputation, why does she tolerate a man who has forcibly kissed her and undermined her on her own bridge?

On the other hand, it does make sense that a control freak like Servalan would be drawn to another domineering character. That she choses a hypocrite with an inflated ego is quite significant. Servalan has started to act like a sort of Eva Peron figure - the overdressed figurehead of a corrupt regime, attatching herself to an unpleasent military man.

The death of Jarvik obviouisly affects her though. In the next episode she wants to start a family.

Dayna is very good in this one. She's thoroughly kicking Jarvik's arse until dopey Cally distracts her. Unfortunately, the script doesn't give her any chance to confront the woman who destroyed her family. By this stage I'd say Josette has established herself as the best female hero this series ever had.

The guest cast are uniformily terrible. Shad in particular is awful, sounding like one of the air men from 'allo 'allo. It goes without saying that Brian the Spider sucks though his webs look quite cool.

Kairos does have good moments, most of them involving Paul Darrow who gets the chance to demonstrate his knack for deadpan comedy. Jackie Pearce isn't as good as usual and seems a bit uncomfortable with the script. Thankfully, she regains her form in the next episode.

The Jarvik plot line is odd and I'm not sure how to judge it. If we take it as the script appears to be suggesting - that Jarvik represents some wonderful primative ideal we should all aspire to - then it falls apart. If on the oher hand, we take it that Jarvik's hypocricy is intentional and his posturing is meant to look idiotic, then it is cleverer than it seems.

I suppose it depends which epitaph you believe. Personally I think Avon got it right.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this again last night and I think it qualifies for the booby prize as worst episode.

It starts off quite well and Jarviks plan to capture the Liberator is a good idea which deserves to succeed, but when Jarvik teleports down to Kairos, having dumped our heroes there it degenerates into farce. Surely the 4 of them could have over powered Jarvik while he was fighting Tarrant! I think its unbeleviable that Dayna is the only one to refuse to hand over her teleport bracelet without a fight. (Even Avon just hands his over, which seems a bit out of character).

If our hereos had over powered Jarvik, then all they'd have to is get him to say "Teleport Now!", (leaving Jarvik on Kairos as spider food!) then once back on board they might have regained their ship. As it is they resort to the farical tactic of trying con Servalan that on old Lunar module is actually a more advanced ship. Jarvik isnt fooled but Servalan it seems is so she abandons the Liberator. Again this seems just a bit too easy.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bloke from Melbourne thinks its the best though !
white afro in space

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinks?!?!?!?!?!?

It IS the best, sunflower
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your view on Jarvik Afro? Do u think Steed intended him to come across as a posser and a hypocite or do you think he was supposed to be a hero? Or to put it another way, was Steed supporting or discrediting Jarvik's view?
inge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was his way of showing that Servalan could be manipulated, by both Jarvik and Avon.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvik is definitely a poser, and I would say Steedy wanted it that way as part of the 'exaggeration' that I believe is at the core of Harvest (i.e. Harvest is exaggerated intentionally because it is Steed's aim to make us aware that we are watching television). I disagree with you regarding Jarvik being a hypocrite; those guards didn't HAVE to get shot, they could have taken over the liberator if they were good enough; Jarvik went down for the bracelets because it pleased Servalan, not because he had to.

On the whole, I'd say Jarvik is supposed to be an anti-hero (a hero without heroic qualities). I doubt Steed would agree with Jarvik's statements. Jarvik's statements are kind of like background or character development. Jarvik is a character, not Steed's mouthpiece.
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Some bloke from Melbourne thinks its the best though !

That Melbourne Bloke Has My Full Backing Carnell
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my house mate 'bez' says this is his favourate epsiode. but what does he know?

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your housemate 'Bez' has the gift of the second sight.
He is the chosen one
So it shall be written
So it shall be done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: