Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C5: The Harvest of Kairos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsukechick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mr. Afro-man!

I just thought it was odd 'cause Jarvik wasn't friends with the Blake crew. He was Serveland's new male counterpart. They took the whole episode to establish how hardcore he was, and then he just gets shot by some jumpy trooper.

If he'd stayed on he would have taken over too much I guess, so they had to get rid of the character. Pity, it was funny seeing him trow Tarrant around like a rag doll.

I agree with you about the Blake crew's friends, though. I mean, they're outlaws, so making contact with ANYONE would put that other party in danger, period. Then again, it would make a much more boring show if they just puttered around and didn't talk to anyone.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsukechick wrote:

I agree with you about the Blake crew's friends, though. I mean, they're outlaws, so making contact with ANYONE would put that other party in danger, period. Then again, it would make a much more boring show if they just puttered around and didn't talk to anyone.

My pals are not Outlaws , only me , Tax Dodger Extraordinare - Public Enemy NO ! !
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this episode,it's definitely in my top five.I'll be the first to admit it could have been put together a little cleaner,but it's the general idea of the story which I thought was great.The whole concept of "man vs. machine" always makes for good scifi.Similar to the Blake's 7 universe,we are moving towards a society where a computer's word is taken over a human's.Anyone who has had an error on their credit report could probably identify with that.I especially enjoyed the strategy between Jarvik and Tarrant during their space battle.His sense of honor was also refreshing.The special effects and fight scenes could have been better,but I can overlook that considering the low budget.

p.s.
In the encyclepedia next to the word "Man" they shold have a picture of Jarvik...or Ace Rimmer.
luskentyre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the "monster" was too badly done to be honest. It was ambitious, but managed to overcome the "man in a rubber suit" problem. The bit where it ate the kairopan was quite well done.

I mean, compared to some "Doctor Who" monsters... (the Myrka springs to mind)
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despise this episode! The worst ever. Awful plot, characters acting... out of character.

Why is the spider called "Brian" though?!
white afro in space

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good question, Hobgoblin. Why is the spider called Brian? Seeing as you asked and that nobody answered when I asked the question, I've taken it upon myself to find the answer this perplexing puzzle.

Accoding to the Sevencyclopaedia - subsection, Fanlore, and I quote:

The name used by Sheelagh Wells to describe one of the species of spider-like creature on Kairos. The reason for the name was due to her dislike of spiders, and her desire to come to terms with this problem, 'working on the principle that anything with a name couldn't really be terrifying', a strategy which proved successful. (Joe Nazzaro and Sheelagh Wells, Blake's 7: The Inside Story, (Virgin, 1997), p.54.)

http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/SevenCyc/FanLore.html

As for the episode which, in a degrading and primitive act, you refer to as "the worst ever"... I should like to be viewing it again.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite episodes.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear! Hear! Thunda!

In all the excitement about Harvest, I can't keep a lid on my emotions any longer. I can't help it, I could be very well about to make an embarrassing exclamation. In the fit of piquancy, I cannot take heed of common sense voices saying 'Don't do it afro' warning me to step back away from the precipice. It's no good. I can't resist it any longer:

Best of the 52!!!!

There, I've said it. That's a weight off my shoulders. Now I can get on with life, which will no doubt involve the continual defence of my inglorious secret, which I have just made public, from all the Blake-ers, The Way Back-ers, Star One-ers, Terminal-ers, Spacefall-ers and the rest. Out of the Kairopan, into the fire! Mock me if you will, but yes, I am a Harvest-er, saying it loud, saying it proud!

My name is white afro

and I am a Harvest-er
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering the "Brian the Spider" question!
What on earth do you people seein the episode? II do appreacite the "man versus machine" theme but it is hardly original in S. F. is it?
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon "Sopron is a mirror. A distorting mirror. It reflects a slightly greater image of whatever it is that happens to be scanning it. Zen saw a capacity charged brain, because that is what Zen is. Orac saw a highly sophisticated computer, because that is what Orac is. Cally thought that she saw her parents, but what she actually saw was herself"

With that, some woluld say over explanatory quote, we have one of the great talents of Blake's 7, the ability present not just a story or some abstract ideas but also to demonstrate, through allegory or metaphor, the actual medium that the program exists in. Blake's 7 has these hidden allegories at various points scatttered throughout the series. Harvest has one of these allegories, hidden under all the excellent Man vs Machine stuff, in sopron. Sopron? You ask, who cares about sopron? It's just a fancy stroke of luck to get the crew out of lumber, right? Wrong!

The distorting mirror of sopron is a metaphor for the medium of television and its amplified reflection of society, projected back at us, the viewer. In other words, the episode, for us, is sopron and we are looking at it and getting a distorted image of ourselves. This amplification of society is thrown back at us through the exaggerated relationship between Jarvik and Servalan. It is often claimed that Jarvik is a sexist, misogynist pig with his seeming contempt for Servalan. This is what it appears on the surface, I don't deny that, however, this is merely an amplified reflection of our own relationships with each other in the 'real' world. Aren't we all, in some small way perhaps, Jarviks or Servalans and what can we learn from them?

As for the Man vs Machine element: This is another huge theme in the episode, and as above, it is exaggerated back at us. Interestingly, this theme is scattered through the episode, sometimes hidden, other times overtly and over the top, and you know, I think they do it well
dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Amateur pyschologist mode on]
I don't see Jarvik as a sexist, misogynist pig. I feel he treats Servalan the way he does because he's his own man and he sees right through her charade.

She's really a very frightened woman underneath the cruel exterior. By treating her the way he does he makes he feel secure. She probably grew up without a father figure and Jarvik's domination of her has given her something she needed.
[Amateur pyschologist mode off]
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with the metaphor and the irony that the medium of television is being presented to we, the audience, to relate this story.
However, I still feel the whole episode could have been much better handled had Boucher been writing it. He is much more deft when incorporating layers of such imagery into his texts and sculpting the characters in the series.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just watched this episode - still hate it and, still class it as the worst of all the 52 episodes!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
NaomiJane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I really need to see this ep

"I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later."
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaomiJane wrote:
Ok I really need to see this ep

You haven't seen it???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: