Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C5: The Harvest of Kairos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
Your housemate 'Bez' has the gift of the second sight.
He is the chosen one
So it shall be written
So it shall be done!

Cor Afro! You should become an english teacher! Where do you know that Steed wanted to make Harvest exaggerated? (I have not looked back at the any of the previous pages if there was an explenation there!)
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pic. Well, admittedly, not knowing Steed personally, my theory on Harvest's 'exaggeration' is just that, a theory. However, I am sticking to it because noone in their right mind would have made Harvest like that on puprose for any other reason It's not ineptitude that makes it cheap and nasty, it's design at it's most arch! - On page 2 of this thread, about six posts from the bottom, I briefly explain why I think Harvest is supposed to be an exaggeraton.

Also, the exaggeration theory fits in with many other self-referential moments throughout B7, which I have yet to explain - it's a mammoth project
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pic. Well, admittedly, not knowing Steed personally, my theory on Harvest's 'exaggeration' is just that, a theory. However, I am sticking to it because noone in their right mind would have made Harvest like that on puprose for any other reason It's not ineptitude that makes it cheap and nasty, it's design at it's most arch! - On page 2 of this thread, about six posts from the bottom, I briefly explain why I think Harvest is supposed to be an exaggeraton.

Also, the exaggeration theory fits in with many other self-referential moments throughout B7, which I have yet to explain - it's a mammoth project

Oh dear, you should be an english teacher, you could then get paid for being a smartarse when it comes to stories etc.
ilieva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distorting mirror of sopron is a metaphor for the medium of television and its amplified reflection of society, projected back at us, the viewer. In other words, the episode, for us, is sopron and we are looking at it and getting a distorted image of ourselves. This amplification of society is thrown back at us through the exaggerated relationship between Jarvik and Servalan. It is often claimed that Jarvik is a sexist, misogynist pig with his seeming contempt for Servalan. This is what it appears on the surface, I don't deny that, however, this is merely an amplified reflection of our own relationships with each other in the 'real' world. Aren't we all, in some small way perhaps, Jarviks or Servalans and what can we learn from them?

I’m strongly impressed with the theory about the sopron and B7. B7 really has the feature to project a disproportional sopron-like impression on the fans (including myself).

The most fascinating me theory about the role of the television in the contemporary world is included in the book “Generation P” of the Russian writer Victor Pelewin under the name “IDENTIALISM AS THE HIGHEST STAGE OF DUALISM” and is relevant to the preceding. It begins with a description of the individual sides of the TV watcher and further Pelewin points on some general economical and social aspects of the phenomenon. This is a small quote from the introduction of the theory:

This [TV set] is simply a box with a glass wall, which we are free to watch or not watch. When an individual's gaze falls upon a dark screen, the movement of his or her eyes is controlled exclusively by internal nerve impulses or the psychological process taking place in his or her consciousness. For instance, an individual might notice that the screen is fly-spotted. Or he or she might decide that it would be a good idea to buy a television twice as big. Or think that it would be a good idea to stand it in a different comer. Until a television is switched on it is in no way different from the objects with which people had to deal in the Buddha's time, be it a stone, the dew on a blade of grass or an arrow with a divided head -- in short, everything that the Buddha used to illustrate his talks.

But when a television is turned on, it is transformed from an object of the first type into an object of the second type. It becomes a phenomenon of an entirely different order. And although the person looking at the screen does not notice this customary transformation, it is truly immense. For the viewer the television disappears as a material object that possesses weight, size and other physical properties. Instead of this the viewer has the sensation of being present in a different space, a sensation familiar to all who are assembled there.

I can't take the responsibility to resume the following. http://lib.ru/PELEWIN/pokolenie_engl.txt
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very deep!
I liked this one.
Servalan and her slutty side - tramp!
Brian the thing...
And Bernie Clifton!
sfordcar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the worst but the most pathetic Episode I have ever watched, there's a giant Ant, A Space Ship where they were dumped and Servalan gets fooled by that old thing.
Little Rascal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to Hand-It To Servalan though! That little Oliver Twist thing," Please Sir, I want some-MORE!!!
JUANAFULLL!!!!!!!
thot gor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTICALLY FAB EPISODE!!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will de dancing in Afrovile over that last post!
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done, thot gor. Obviously, there's a being of sound judgement in our midst!

ZEN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just pinched this from the Horizon website - from someone called Chase1234

Chase1234 wrote:
Harvest of Kairos

Oh my God. I freaking love this episode! I'm not sure but there must be flaws but I don't care, I freaking love this episode! When I began rewatching the entire series, I thought that maybe my feelings about season three (and to some extent four) would change. I happen to think that these two seasons are better than one and two in many ways. This episode seems like a shot in the arm to revive the show.

This episode has everything: a new Federation "villain" that cannot be any different from Travis if they tried; Servalan getting turned on by what she calls a primitive man but who has some honor and who doesn't just kill his henchmen (Mutos or Mutoid deaths are okay to him) and who feels and does not think that computers are better than feeling and thinking; a VERY dangerous planet; the crew acting as thieves for the first time in a long time; more of Tarrant (say, did he just WINK at Vila!?) and Dayna back to being a warrior. Gosh, Jarvis, I wish you could have lived to become a main villain for the next two seasons at least somewhat but I'm guessing the show doesn't want to fall into the same trap that they did with Travis and to be fair, Jarvis GOT the Liberator and bested Tarrant (and almost Dayna, who's life he saved!).

On top of everything, we have Servalan getting on board the Liberator, seeing Cally again, having plans for Orac and that failing, using and meeting Zen (just how did she hear of Zen's impudence? Who told her about Zen? Vila? Vila's calls during Aftermath?), and getting some kind of "love" for Jarvis---she really didn't seem to want to see him die (although moments after his death she's still planning on killing Dayna if she could).

AND we have Avon disinterested in the gang's heist and more interested in a rock! Yes, that's right. While everyone else lives for and is abandoned by the Federation (the poor laborers are left behind along with one sadistic guard...hope HE gets his comeuppance) for a different valuable rock, Avon has another, living rock or so some believe it to be. Avon's obsession with it is just the right side of ...strange and pure Avon. AND Avon gets at least one brilliant scene with Servalan and gets the better of her under a losing situation. Just wonderful!

Then we have those monsters. To be honest, there have been worse DW monsters, worse Lost In Space and Space; 1999 monsters and have you looked at the Star Trek Gorn lately? This is no better or worse than some of those and the monsters do not dominate the episode as they would have in DWho. They fulfill what they need to do and present a danger.

Everything seems to come together in this episode at least for me. One thing: that module: where did it come from? Was it an early landing thing that was just left there after the Federation returned? I don't think we ever found out. I don't care. I love it and I love this episode.

Again, Avon and Vila (less so this time for Vila) have some of the best lines but there are great lines between Servalan and Jarvis and between Tarrant and Avon (who gets to use his "present company NOT excepted" for the first time...and reuses it in the LIBERATOR CHRONCILES VOLUME 3---a VERY good audio of three disks that reintroduces Anna Grant's brother).

Very entertaining. And love the space battles too. Forgot to mention Servalanís shoulder decoration: fashion victim but not as bad as other episodesí outfits. And someone did mention why they need the money? AND also why didn't they look in the boxes? I don't care about these flaws, did I say that?

It would seem that we have found Afro a fellow fan to play with

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 96
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, surely there can't be ANOTHER Harvest of Kairos fan?!?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Harvest getting some just appreciation, as opposed to barely getting just some appreciation

Thanks for sharing, Zen
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, Dr. Strangelove, Harvest,, amazing how the great ones manage to stand the test of time!

Did he call Jarvik Jarvis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: