Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A4: Time Squad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davecabs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Episode A4: Time Squad Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a separate thread for discussing Time Squad as I've just watched it.

I thought this was a really good episode (It's been a while since I last saw it). I love the way the two stories, homicidal aliens and sabotage on the planet with Cally, dovetailed. It's such a nice feeling when the "7" finally get together.

There are some great lines in this one too.

I plan to live forever - or die trying.

May you die alone and silent!

[The only snag was Concrete found Jenna's behaviour ridiculous and didn't stop complaining and offering advice on how she should deal with the situation.]
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Time Squad, i think its a good episode, although Jenna doing poor acting in this and not being believable or being unbelievable stupid spoils it a little. Although that outfit she wears makes up for it a little bit
jdarwent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we've been here before but does anyone know why this episode is called 'Time Squad'?
Davecabs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could either be that the homicidal aliens who have been suspended in time due to being frozen are regarded as a squad! Or the cells from the genetic banks aboard the ship could be thought of as the squad!
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceCommanderTravis wrote:
I like Time Squad, i think its a good episode, although Jenna doing poor acting in this and not being believable or being unbelievable stupid spoils it a little. Although that outfit she wears makes up for it a little bit

Yeah , but it`s supposed to be set in the future - so why does Jenna dress up like my Mum did in the 70`S ? .
Davecabs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
SpaceCommanderTravis wrote:

Yeah , but it`s supposed to be set in the future - so why does Jenna dress up like my Mum did in the 70`S ? .

Alas tv producers had no concept that fashions would ever change again. They thought that flares would never die. What about the superb "space age" silver flared outfits and mini skirts in UFO and the wonderful futuristic slacks in Space:1999.

Very little foresight there, I wager!
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like time squad but not the best!
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Squad has always been a disappointment for me. Each time I watch it - and that's not that often - I find myself fast forwarding through the boring Jenna bits. I dunno, the bad acting, poor fight scenes, the duplication of Jenna being attacked *yawn*. However I enjoy the bits with Cally et al.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this episode but others in Season 1 were better, ie Duel, Mission to Destiny, Orac.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnidus wrote:
Time Squad has always been a disappointment for me. Each time I watch it - and that's not that often - I find myself fast forwarding through the boring Jenna bits. I dunno, the bad acting, poor fight scenes, the duplication of Jenna being attacked *yawn*. However I enjoy the bits with Cally et al.

I agree the Cally bits are the best. I don't know why an experienced smuggler would find it so difficult to cope with being attacked. As soon as they realised the aliens were potentially aggressive they should have locked the hold and waited for the rest of the crew to come back. We saw the introduction of the limiter in Gan's head in this episode, quite a good idea but made Gan's role in the series pretty pointless.
Concrete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna is supposed to be a succesfull smuggler and presumably able to take care of her self why she should creep around leaving herself open to attack escapes me.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bits with Cally = class
Rest of episode = utter dross

The problem is Timesquad is one of the episodes written in a hurry - about the same time as Bounty & Breakdown at a guess - when Nation was running out of time to get the season together. It shows.

Timesquad ranks at 5 in my top five hated B7 episodes and it's one I will never, ever, watch again.
inge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, Janov, 100%
The writers should have picked a better story with which to introduce Cally, maybe with some more background on Saurian Major and the rebel group there, for instance.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was that they were seriously running out of time when it was written. Boucher is quoted as saying "Terry said to me 'you can have next episodes or rewrites' so we went for next episodes and I did the rewrites."

Timesquad was quickly written late in the day when some of the characters that were initially to be part of the seven (early drafts of the script for The Web feature Brell Klein and Tone Selman) were cut out. Certainly one episode was scrapped and replaced by Timesquad, although it's likely that it was rewritten and resubmitted (my guess is Project Avalon) as Nation NEVER wasted anything.

In addition, many episodes were running short - Duel and Bounty spring to mind - and Boucher padded them out.

There's an excellent article by Anthony Brown in an old issue of DWB (Dec '92) which gives a lot of the info on the way the first season was written and some interesting glimpses into alternatives. Apparently there was an episode for Season 4 to be called "Ragnarok" by former Who producer Graham Williams.
inge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For another episode running short, check out Stardrive in S4. There was more time spent running around in the quarry, than anything, else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: