Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A2: Space Fall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I both agree and disagree with you guys,so let me sum up how I measure Leyland:

Leyland appears to be a" by the book" captain who probably has taken too many trips but is still a pretty decent "Bloke".He does seem a bit squeamish on lives being lost though.

I think his "Raiker" meant 'Do what you have to do,but do it by the book,and no unnecessary killing this time'.And let's face it,Attempted Mutiny,Endangering the Crew and Ship,Attempting to Escape,Raiker was justified in shooting Blake.And Raiker's no bloodthirsty coward,he stands his ground and subdues the crewmate that went mad,without harming him,and he goes over to the Liberator solo,to face Blake,Avon and Jenna,who are all armed.

To be honest I had to look up the word 'quash',all this time I thought he was saying squash(as in reduce).I believe he truly thought he could get their sentences nullified.He may only be a lowly captain but he has been around long enough to have made some friends in high places.That,combined with the gift of the Liberator to the Federation might,in his opinion,be enough to set Blake,Avon and Jenna free.And when you think about it,Jenna;probably,Avon;maybe,Blake;no way,Federation would never let him walk.Or...he could have been referring to the new charges of mutiny which they received aboard the London.Remember the context in which it was said:

LEYLAN I hope Mr. Raiker's made it clear to you that you can refuse to do this.
BLAKE Oh yes. He's also made it clear that summary execution's one of our options. We chose the other.

LEYLAN Well if you're successful, I promise that I'll get your sentences quashed.

For trying to take over the ship,they could have been legally executed.He may have been saying he'd forget everything that happened on his ship.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I both agree and disagree with you guys,so let me sum up how I measure Leyland:

Leyland appears to be a" by the book" captain who probably has taken too many trips but is still a pretty decent "Bloke".He does seem a bit squeamish on lives being lost though.

That sounds good, I think at the end he couldn't care less at the end of the episode though.

thunda] I think his "Raiker" meant 'Do what you have to do,but do it by the book,and no unnecessary killing this time'.And let's face it,Attempted Mutiny,Endangering the Crew and Ship,Attempting to Escape,Raiker was justified in shooting Blake.And Raiker's no bloodthirsty coward,he stands his ground and subdues the crewmate that went mad,without harming him,and he goes over to the Liberator solo,to face Blake,Avon and Jenna,who are all armed. [/quote]

No I think he spared federation personel because they where federation. He would have killed Blake, Avon and Jenna. He will do anything to gain controll, and gain more power and grip in a postion.

[Quote="thunda wrote:

I believe he truly thought he could get their sentences nullified.He may only be a lowly captain but he has been around long enough to have made some friends in high places.That,combined with the gift of the Liberator to the Federation might,in his opinion,be enough to set Blake,Avon and Jenna free.And when you think about it,Jenna;probably,Avon;maybe,Blake;no way,Federation would never let him walk.Or...he could have been referring to the new charges of mutiny which they received aboard the London.Remember the context in which it was said:

LEYLAN I hope Mr. Raiker's made it clear to you that you can refuse to do this.
BLAKE Oh yes. He's also made it clear that summary execution's one of our options. We chose the other.

LEYLAN Well if you're successful, I promise that I'll get your sentences quashed.

For trying to take over the ship,they could have been legally executed.He may have been saying he'd forget everything that happened on his ship.

No I don't Leylan could havbe done anything. Although he might have tried I doubt it would have worked.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious that Leyland had been doing this job for far too long - the tiredness in his manner is palpable from the very beginning. He is obviously someone who goes through the motions in his job and finds it a little difficult to cope when trouble occurs and he has to make decisions.

Raiker manipulates the situation to incriminate Leylan in the deaths of the prisoners but Leylan's response that he will include everything in the report makes it obvious that he doesn't care about very much any more. Not even his own court martial. The murder of the prisoners is the last straw. It is obvious that he was planning to resign, anyway, when he got back from this trip.

As far as getting the sentences quashed, this was probably wishful thinking on his part - there is no way he could have got the sentences quashed. Can you imagine him arriving back on Earth in the London with Blake and co. saying "I decided not to leave them on Cygnus." It just couldn't have happened.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still maintain Leyland was referring to getting the mutiny charges quashed.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I still maintain Leyland was referring to getting the mutiny charges quashed.

But he wouldn't have had to get those quashed - he could have just erased all record of the mutiny and it wouldn't have come to anything. You can only get a crime quashed if you had been charged with it.
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wouldn't Raiker and perhaps the some of the crew demanded mutiny charges be brought? I'm sure Raiker would have enjoyed executing a few of them.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
But wouldn't Raiker and perhaps the some of the crew demanded mutiny charges be brought? I'm sure Raiker would have enjoyed executing a few of them.

Good point, Raiker was a blood thursty what's it. However I suppose as the superior officer Leylan would be writting a report on each crew member, which might delay Raiker's carear plans.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first scene in spacecraft 'London' when Blake looks out the window he sees the earth and the moon receding just as he sees at the end of 'The Way Back' so it is obviously meant to be the same time. Gan, Avon and the other prisoners (that aren't seen in 'The Way Back') are then seen, so they also got on board with Blake, Vila and Jenna which is something I was unsure about.

Has anybody noticed that some of the prisoners (at least the two between Vila and Jenna) are not the same as in 'The Way Back', although it's supposed to be the same scene? Two different directors!

The journey to Cygnus Alpha is to take eight months but is there any clue as to how long into the journey could they be when they encounter the space war and the Liberator? It's clearly far from the earth, maybe even the solar system, but it didn't necessarily take very long, which might account for why their appearances havn't changed much.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron
Quote:
Has anybody noticed that some of the prisoners (at least the two between Vila and Jenna) are not the same as in 'The Way Back', although it's supposed to be the same scene? Two different directors!

"Well now," - seeing that this episode was filmed before "THE WAY BACK" so as to allow the cast to more familiar with what they were doing - they slipped up on continuity for those scenes.

Often wondered IF the prisoner with white hair who, looked very similar to "TERRY NATION" was, there for that reason alone??

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some actors were only contracted for THE WAY BACK ! That Fed guard who tells Blake "TAKE A A GOOD LUCK , THATS THE LAST YOU`LL SEE OF IT " where did he go in SPACEFALL ?
RichardWho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he was on his rest break when the rebellion happened.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:

Often wondered IF the prisoner with white hair who, looked very similar to "TERRY NATION" was, there for that reason alone?? [/b]

The prisoner between Vila and Jenna with white hair does look quite like Terry Nation, and about the right age (he'd be about 47 then), but I'm not sure it's him.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
Valentine wrote:

Often wondered IF the prisoner with white hair who, looked very similar to "TERRY NATION" was, there for that reason alone?? [/b]

The prisoner between Vila and Jenna with white hair does look quite like Terry Nation, and about the right age (he'd be about 47 then), but I'm not sure it's him.

Well, he wasn't trying to sign merchandise deals with the rest of the prisinors, so I have my doubts!!
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Fall is the first commentary Iíve listened to and I really enjoyed the relaxed approach and all the insights (and I now know that extra wasnít Terry Nation!). It would be even better to see the commentators say at the start.
Richard1978

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer console looks like a 3 sided Tardis control column.

Wasn't Nova supposed to be a regular in an early pitch for the show, along with Selman & Arco?

Has Jenna's mother or Avon's brother ever turned up in any prequel fan fiction?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: