Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A2: Space Fall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davecabs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Maybe they have some sort of aftershave that they splash on which prevents beard growth. Having said that, it wouldn't be called aftershave then, more like beforeshave or noshave.

If Blake wore it, it'd have to be Brut - or some other very manly aftershave...

Not that Hi Karate stuff that Blakescrewe wears...
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely they'd have to have an aftershave by Avon!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing , months in space and no one but Raiker tried it on with Jenna -the only woman on board ! What is it with them then , don`t like girls ? or fantastically disciplined ?
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:

Not that Hi Karate stuff that Blakescrewe wears...

I`ve never used Aftershave , what am I ? Some sort of wally then ?
Simon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
And another thing , months in space and no one but Raiker tried it on with Jenna -the only woman on board ! What is it with them then , don`t like girls ? or fantastically disciplined ?

I suppose after Blake was strapped to his seat, the others figured that it wasn't worth it.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you're forgetting that tried to chat up and, she wasn't interested in him, either!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: tarting it up Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
Guess you're forgetting that tried to chat up and, she wasn't interested in him, either!!!

I can see Jenna turning down Vila as a personal preference (if it'd been Avon she snubbed, she'd have been insane of course) BUT I find it very odd she won't play the coquette with Raiker.

Here's the second in command panting after her, a real, possible advantage when you're wanting to escape or control a ship taking you to a life sentence on a prison planet (where of course everyone will be perfect gentlemen and none will presume to demand affections, right?)

But she's cold to Raiker on Day One, she's cold 4 months or so later even when they're working out escape plans, and she's not part of any guard distractions (guards distracted by Vila's magic tricks? come on!) I suppose you could make the case she won't play harlot at any cost, from Spacefall anyway, but we know later she's quite capable of it.

What's the deal?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the deal is a belief in a cause. When she does the harlot bit on Goth, she believes she is working for the greater good. She believes in Blake's cause and is willing to do what it takes. There is a big difference in doing that than submitting to the bullying of a prison officer for an easier life, and one that would alienate her from her fellow prisoners.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Jenna and Raiker Reply with quote

I didn't suggest 8 months of an easier life was worth the sacrifice; the ONLY goal I mentioned was escape from or control of the ship, which I see as a life or death situation for Jenna. We know the odds of a good-looking woman on a savage planet with a coed population -- they're about as good as those for escaping a ship with seasoned staff who know they're guarding a flying Death Row.

With her playing up to him, Raiker'd be alone and vulnerable with her at some point. She'd have access to other areas of the ship; she could see things and maybe figure a way out. She might hold him hostage or kill him and run loose on the ship to some advantage (escape pod, get a gun and take control). Worse comes to worst, she might could get him to "forget" to drop her on Cygnus.

Do you not see the idea of using Raiker as a viable option to escape in some way, or do you mean that Jenna saw Blake's goal as an even higher one than saving her own life?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say she played along with Raiker to gain an advantage. She knew it was a long trip. The odds were that Raiker would get bored with her at some point and chuck her back in with the other prisoners, where she would be treated really badly because she'd slept with the enemy. Even if he kept her to the end of the trip, she'd still be left on Cygnus Alpha withe the other prisoners. So she chose to stand up to Raiker and gain respect among her fellow prisoners, who she knew she'd probably have to rely on more both on the ship and at Cygnus Alpha.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Jenna Reply with quote

Interesting points, and thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear an idea of her motives that makes her seem consistent, because I really do like Jenna!

I would also suggest a third possibility outside the realm of the character herself. Perhaps, as a show geared to a wide variety of audience ages, the Raiker seduction was going to lead quickly and brutally to sex and so was unacceptable in the series. In "Keeper" and "Bounty" the playing along didn't involve out-and-out sex right away (or at all as it turned out), not even kissing, so this was more acceptable viewing? (Or is it taboo to explore motives not belonging to show characters?)
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exploring motives and politics of the show's writers and producers is fine as a way to analyse how characters developed.

thunda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another episode I didn't see until they showed the re-runs,but I still enjoyed it.The actual story was fair with plenty of plot holes but the character development more than made up for it.Instead of giving my take on the story,I'd like to talk a bit about the characters.

Blake: We see the start of his obsession to take revenge on the Federation.

Avon: Letting everyone know up front he's looking out for number 1.

Jenna: For some reason she's fallen for Blake and is prepared to stand by him no matter what.

Villa: He doesn't pretend to be a hero.

Gan: Although he's already a follower,he does seem kind of macho now.No trace of a limiter yet.

Raiker: At first I despised him,which I'm sure is what the writers intended,but after watching the story several times,I'm starting to feel a little different.There seems to be two Raikers;the ambitious competent first officer and the sadistic,lecherous overseer.From his point of view,the London isn't a cruise ship taking passengers to a resort,it's a prison barge transporting the scum of the galaxy to a much deserved hell.He doesn't serve the Star Trek Federation,a democracy,he serves the B7 Federation,an empire.These are murderers,thieves,child molesters,they should be lucky they're still breathing.

Leyland: Except for that "be discreet" remark,he appears to be a nice guy.Too nice to be running a prison transport.He talks to Blake like they're old buddies.He does appear to be fatigued in the beginning,it's possible he became what he was complaining about,"They don't bother,nobody bothers anymore."

Things that bothered me: The London and its crew seemed way too lax to be transporting felons.

Avon succumbed too easily to that mind control.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is our chum Harry Fielder then ?
ZEN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda ( quote)

"Leyland: Except for that "be discreet" remark,he appears to be a nice guy.Too nice to be running a prison transport.He talks to Blake like they're old buddies.He does appear to be fatigued in the beginning,it's possible he became what he was complaining about,"They don't bother,nobody bothers anymore."

So.... whaddya all think? [/quote]

CASE FOR THE PROSECUTION:

Leylan made a promise to have their ' sentences quashed' How!? given he was a mere Captain of a civil-administration vessel!! the least he could have offered was to land them on a different planet on route, even then Leylan knew sooner or later Blake would return to Earth one way or another!. So the possibilty of actually quashing their sentences would have been out the question, whats more he knew that!

I believe his "Raiker" comment was more of an instruction to do what needed to be done. Raiker's " Yes Sir" was, in my opinion, a very willing agreement to undertake that task! Leylan was obviously not happy with the situation, given he now realised that maybe he had become more or less the same as Raiker!. What was the first thing Raiker did on sighting Blake near the airlock!! - SHOOT

Also, bare in mind Leylan was economical with the truth in his report to the Federation in the opening scenes of Cygnus Alpha!! " 5 dead including sub-commander Raiker..." No mention was made of the 7 prisoners killed! He had to tell the Federation of Blake's, Avon's & Jenna's escape in the Liberator for very obvious reasons!

So ends the case for the prosecution [/quote]

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 96
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: