Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A2: Space Fall
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Episode A2: Space Fall Reply with quote

I've just been having a debate with Zen about the character of Leylan and he suggested putting it to the forum!

The debate hinges around the little exchange between Leylan and Raiker towards the end of the episode. It's just after the point where Blake and co have defeated the intruder system thing:

Quote:
RAIKER [To a technician] Get me a survival unit.

[The technician leaves]

LEYLAN What're you going to do?

RAIKER They're still alive. I'm going to make sure they don't get any ideas about staying over there.

LEYLAN Raiker!

RAIKER Yes sir.

My view of this is that Leylan is warning Raiker to "behave", especially after what happened with the little prisoner massacre earlier on. Raiker's sharp "yes sir" is expressing his dislike of being told what to do, and his insubordinate attitude towards Leylan.

Hopefully Zen will be along to put his view, which I think is along the lines that Leylan wants Blake and co killed, and knows that is what Raiker will do. Or is even telling Raiker to do that, hence the expression on his face when he says "Raiker!"

So has Leylan turned out to be a nasty piece of work??
Or is he the disgruntled Captain who doesn't approve of Raiker's actions but has put up with them as long as they are "discreet" until now when Raiker has finally gone "too far"?

I think Zen's view makes for a much more interesting twist in the story or in the character of Leylan, but I just can't see it from the way the scene is played.... and I kind of quite like Leylan! Or at least I did...

So.... whaddya all think?
Rhiannon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it so well, do not know what could be added here
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's not much of an answer tho!
I'll just assume that you're agreeing with ME!
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that he was warning Raiker to behave, but it is an idea that he could be telling him to kill them. The trouble with that is that is that it doesn't fit with what we saw earlier. Leylan was clearly disgusted when the captured prisoners were being shot.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Leylan wanted Raiker to capture them again, and see what happened to the earlier boarding parties. Leylan is an interesting charater, I think he couldn't be bothered towards the end and was shocked about how far a few prisoners would do to escape,after all he was a bit old.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the whole context of the episode Leylan would not want Blake and co killed. There would be no reason to. The problem with Leylan is he's been captain for a long time and he has become weak and disinterested (It mustn't be a great job carrying prisoners to Cygnus Alpha). Raiker is a very strong character and obviously dislikes Leylan's weakness. Raiker is also power-hungry and a sadist.

Leylan is, in my mind, telling Raiker not to harm the prisoners as he did previously but he knows that he is not being forceful enough. Leylan is on the verge of giving up that's why he didn't care that Raiker was going to say he was only obeying orders previously when the prisoners were shot.

Leylan hates Raiker and hates himself for not totally standing up to Raiker, that's why we see the disgusted look on his face, his self-loathing.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is our friend Harry Fielder then ? .
Davecabs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:

Is he the Smurf?
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:
BLAKESCREWE wrote:

Is he the Smurf?

I sent him a PM asking him if he was the chap with the grey hair , but he did`nt answer ! . Spoilsport ! .
ZEN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Episode A2: Space Fall Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:
I've just been having a debate with Zen about the character of Leylan and he suggested putting it to the forum!

The debate hinges around the little exchange between Leylan and Raiker towards the end of the episode. It's just after the point where Blake and co have defeated the intruder system thing:

Quote:
RAIKER [To a technician] Get me a survival unit.

[The technician leaves]

LEYLAN What're you going to do?

RAIKER They're still alive. I'm going to make sure they don't get any ideas about staying over there.

LEYLAN Raiker!

RAIKER Yes sir.

My view of this is that Leylan is warning Raiker to "behave", especially after what happened with the little prisoner massacre earlier on. Raiker's sharp "yes sir" is expressing his dislike of being told what to do, and his insubordinate attitude towards Leylan.

Hopefully Zen will be along to put his view, which I think is along the lines that Leylan wants Blake and co killed, and knows that is what Raiker will do. Or is even telling Raiker to do that, hence the expression on his face when he says "Raiker!"

So has Leylan turned out to be a nasty piece of work??
Or is he the disgruntled Captain who doesn't approve of Raiker's actions but has put up with them as long as they are "discreet" until now when Raiker has finally gone "too far"?

I think Zen's view makes for a much more interesting twist in the story or in the character of Leylan, but I just can't see it from the way the scene is played.... and I kind of quite like Leylan! Or at least I did...

So.... whaddya all think?

CASE FOR THE PROSECUTION:

Leylan made a promise to have their ' sentences quashed' How!? given he was a mere Captain of a civil-administration vessel!! the least he could have offered was to land them on a different planet on route, even then Leylan knew sooner or later Blake would return to Earth one way or another!. So the possibilty of actually quashing their sentences would have been out the question, whats more he knew that!

I believe his "Raiker" comment was more of an instruction to do what needed to be done. Raiker's " Yes Sir" was, in my opinion, a very willing agreement to undertake that task! Leylan was obviously not happy with the situation, given he now realised that maybe he had become more or less the same as Raiker!. What was the first thing Raiker did on sighting Blake near the airlock!! - SHOOT

Also, bare in mind Leylan was economical with the truth in his report to the Federation in the opening scenes of Cygnus Alpha!! " 5 dead including sub-commander Raiker..." No mention was made of the 7 prisoners killed! He had to tell the Federation of Blake's, Avon's & Jenna's escape in the Liberator for very obvious reasons!

So ends the case for the prosecution

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 92

Last edited by ZEN on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agument has merit. Hmm.... interesting.
Rhiannon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes! I was agreeing with you!
I could disagree if you like
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Think Leylan Knew He'd Screwed Up By Lettign Them Across, We Know From Cygnus Alpha He Was On His Last Chance With The Federation. So He Had to Get The Prisoners Killed, It Was Either Them or Him. Leylan Although Hates Unnessicary Killing & Violence, (The Look of Disgust On His Face After) Is Not Stupid, & Knows How to Look After Number 1. If It Comes Down to Prisoners Lives or His, He Knows What Has to Be Done, Even If He Does Not Like It.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just no concept of the time that the prisoners have spent aboard the `London` in this episode , everyone just looks the same , no hair or beard growth etc , the whole thing looks so cheap , but despite it I think it is still a good one to watch ! .
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watching this ep again last night and something occurred to me about the scene where Blake, Avon and Jenna board the Liberator for the first time...

Blake is the only one who knows that the defense system thing is an illusion, because the memories it uses from his head are ones created by the Federation, or at least modified by them... and he's generally had quite a lot of experience of having his head messed with by that point, so he "can recognise dreams" as he puts it.

Anyway, my point is that there's a certain irony in the fact that it's the Federation's own psycho-manipulation of Blake that has given him the means to overcome the Liberator defense mechanism and take control of the ship, which is his greatest asset in his fight against the Federation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: