Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

A13: ORAC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Idiot wrote:
but then, you cant make that longer. i think it was ment to be short, and its effective because of this.

Yes because you could think of a nice end to it as well.
callyfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got the 1st series on DVD. There was an extra that explained why you saw Servalan and Travis's feet. Actors dont usually like to have just the feet shown. No ones ever been hired to show feet. Orac was one of the few episodes I only saw once in 1982. Now I know why Orac was such an important part of the show.
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It strikes me as odd that the crew never used the idea of the 'flying' Orac thingy. That could have been very useful to them. I know it got left behind but it wouldn't have been difficult for Orac to instruct Avon how to make another one. A missed opportunity to my mind.
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turnidus
Quote:
It strikes me as odd that the crew never used the idea of the 'flying' Orac thingy. That could have been very useful to them. I know it got left behind but it wouldn't have been difficult for Orac to instruct Avon how to make another one. A missed opportunity to my mind.

Interesting suggestion "Turnidus".

did say that perhaps they should capture it as Avon mike like for a pet!!!

It was I think, mere a surveillence machine that helped with the protection for "ENSOr'S" hidden base on "ARISTO", etc. So, probably it wouldn't have been of much use in other circumstances!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well couldn't the crew just speak to ORAC using their communication devices? Maybe they could have made a sort of portable frame for ORAC like a type of 'Data' (ST:TNG) or maybe an avatar like Andromeda?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac is a strong story, but not in the same leauge as the other season finale's. Star One, Terminal and (obviously) Blake are all terrific climaxes to themes that had been running through their respective seasons. Whilst Orac is good fun and full of incident, but it doesn't really seem like anything that special.

Now what it needs in my opinion, is the death of Travis. We've seen this guy go from an arogant commander riding roughshod over Servalan to a broken man with nothing left but revenge over the man who has taken everything from him.

With Servalan moving into the role of principal villain, this would be the perfect time for him to die. If nothing else, it would have spared us Croucher's weak Travis 2 (not entirely his fault. I'm not sure anyone could have filled Grief's eyepatch!). In fact, given a entirely new character to play, a treacherous luitenant to Servalan who goes insane, Croucher could actually have been rather good.

Still the last scene is amazing - not least 'cos at the time there was no way of being sure whether the ship on the screen or the Liberator itself that had exploded.

Wish they hadn't cut that scene with the Phibian mourning over its dead 'friend'. It's touching in a wierd kind of way!
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:

Still the last scene is amazing - not least 'cos at the time there was no way of being sure whether the ship on the screen or the Liberator itself that had exploded.

When it was first shown, we all thought it was the Liberator that had blown up. The following week's Radio Times was full of letters of protest. One letter ended thus: "Whatever next? The resistance in 'Secret Army' getting caught by the Germans and all shot?".
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there was a "Who Dares Wins" sketch where Yvette turns up at the Cafe in "Allo Allo" with a shaven head as the Resistance have dealt with her for serving the Germans and Herr Flick had rounded up 20 hostages to be shot and then the Continuity Announcer breaks in to apologise for the sudden intrusion of reality!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov Seldon wrote:
Apparently there was a "Who Dares Wins" sketch where Yvette turns up at the Cafe in "Allo Allo" with a shaven head as the Resistance have dealt with her for serving the Germans and Herr Flick had rounded up 20 hostages to be shot and then the Continuity Announcer breaks in to apologise for the sudden intrusion of reality!

You mean...'allo 'allo wasn't historically accurate????
Richard1978

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago VH1 Classic was showing a selection of 80s videos & I was surprised to briefly spot the flying probe in the video for Bronski Beat's Why.

It was a bit daft that the Liberator didn't have any anti radiation drugs after Blake claimed they could make anything in the lab, but Ensor had some hanging around.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that wheras all the other season finales got a lot of support on the 'Best of Polls...' no-one voted for this one. Despite introducing an important new character and ending with a clver cliffhanger, it obviously just doesn't have the same momentous feel as Star One, Terminal and Blake.
dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac was a pretty good story, but the other 3 finales were definately a lot more shocking.

In Orac it is ~hinted~ that the Liberator would be destroyed, in Terminal you see the Liberator slowly die before Servalan helps put it out of its misery.

In Orac the opportunity is there for Travis to die. In Star One the deed is finally, and without any doubt, finally taken care of. Not to mention an alien invasion then occurs.

Need I say anything about Blake ... ?
Slushprodukt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I have a lot of affection for Orac. It's not nearly as "big" a story as the other finales. In fact as far as spectacle goes, it doesn't match up to some other episodes in the first series! Project Avalon or Duel, for example.

No, with Orac we have a little story, involving all the characters, bringing them all together for something.

And, like I say, I'm very fond of it. The budget had clearly run out by the time they filmed it and I think that plays in the episode's favour. What we get is a concentrated, no-frills progression from A to B.

There is a tremendous sense of doom around the whole episode. And in fact, I think the sense of foreboding is actually more pronounced in Orac than it is in the supposed doom-fest extraordinaire that is Terminal. The look of the planet Aristo, with the harsh waves crashing into the land, the general bleakness of everything we see of the planet. And from the start, you know that something like 90% of the planet is covered in water, so it pretty much all looks like that and the few islands of land are very few and far between in a massive, massive ocean. And on one of those islands, in the middle of nowhere, is the entrance to a genius scientist's hideout. How poetic could it be? How beautiful could it be?

I also like the unsaid notion throughout the episode that, in order for Blake and his crew to reach their next phase, to grow into the maximum version of themselves... a sad, lonely old scientist has to die. It's as if the aged Ensor's sacrifice enables the young Blake and his seven to go on and become better. This is what has to happen for the universe's greatest hope against the Federation to make another step towards their destiny.

Orac is a lovely episode. And I haven't even mentioned the plot, or indeed the characters! Suffice to say I really like the character of Ensor, and I find the plot suitably fast-paced and tense, with just enough room inbetween for intriguing pieces of dialogue.

Well done, I think. Okay, in terms of "epic-ness" and scale, Orac doesn't match Star One or Blake. But I don't really think that's what the episode is trying to be. You've got to remember this is the pinnacle of the first series, and the first series is not as big in scale (or budget) as its successors. Orac is trying to be a little fable-type story with tremendous "oomph" in its ideas and notions, and I think it has that where, for example, Terminal fails.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember watching ORAC when it was first shown. We really though the Liberator HAD been blown up. The following week in Radio Times saying "Whatever next? The heroes of 'Secret Army' all getting betrayed?".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: