Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Tarrant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Tarrant Reply with quote

People either seem to love him or hate him, with nothing in between. Why do you think that is? What is it about him that brings out such strong feelings?
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Davecabs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard many people loving the character of Tarrant. It seems to be a Hate/Hate thing. That is because the actor was poor and his character was awful. He was brought in to be another Blake and he was nowhere near good enough to be his replacement.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people say that but surely the point of Tarrant is that he was SUPPOSED to be a bit annoying and up himself?

When he first appeared I thought here we go, they're just replacing Blake with someone else who will take charge of everything. Then as he started to make mistakes and it was clear that Avon was just keeping an eye on him in Harvest of Kairos, I thought things became much more interesting.

I've heard that he was originally supposed to be played by an older actor, so as the part was re-written for the young Steven Pacey the character was changed, but I thought that worked well, and that it was a good turnaround as Tarrant was revealed to be a bit of a smug git

Avon's comments relating to Tarrant such as "precipitous", "a full infantry charge" and the sarcastic way he calls him "one of the best" point to the (intentional) discrepancy between how Tarrant sees himself and how he really is IMO.
And "City at the Edge of the World" is a good example of his taking over a situation, behaving as if he's the guy in charge, and then totally screwing it up. I love the hang-dog expression he has in the scene in the teleport bay when they all start having a go at him

So Steven Pacey turns in a good performance IMO. If you find Tarrant irritating, it's cos Steven played him well

Last edited by Futsie on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well now," - didn't like much but, liked Tarrant even less.

The character was a, younger clone-like version in some respects of

He rarely got on with Avon and, tried to usurp Avon's authority at every possible chance he got. Probably, a major reason that Avon Fan's like myself didn't like Tarrant a great deal.

He occasionally had rare good moments but, that was done to luck rather than judgement. The fact that he tends to get blamed for what happens in misleading Avon into thinking 's betrayed them in the final episode is another strong reason for not liking the character!!!

Davecabs
Quote:
That is because the actor was poor and his character was awful.

SORRY - "STEVEN PACEY" is not a poor actor (He's actually quite a tallented one) he just did the best he could, with what he was given - unfortunately, that was the character of Tarrant

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN

Last edited by Valentine on Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhiannon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an old theme playing the younger upstart Tarrant
against the elder and wiser male aka authority figure Avon
More like Tarrant was acting like Avon did with Blake
No big mysteryI I liked the character of Tarrant and was
surprised UK fans seemed hostile in their posts toward him.
I thought Steven played the role well.
clanger68

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I'm not a great fan of the Tarrant character, although he grew on me a little after Deathwatch.

I felt that 'revenge for his brother's death' gave the character a reason for staying with the Liberator.

Tarrant was also a very good catalyst for the rest of the crew, bullying Vila, belittled by Avon, bewildered by Cally, bewitched by Soolin and bonked by Dayna!

Seriously though, I think the dynamics aboard the Liberator and Scorpio were kept interesting by the inclusion of the Tarrant Character.

Still not my favourite character, afterall, he did bully Vila........Grrrrrr!!!

Steven Pacey himself proved to be an absolute gent, having met him recently at Star One I thought he was a thoroughly nice guy, and I think his lofty dis-interest and absent-mindedness towards Blake's 7 is a bit of an act, he can certainly remember an awful lot about a program he claims to have distanced himself from!

I personally would have like to see what would have happened if Del Tarrant died and Deeta survived and joined the Liberator.

Might have shaken up things on the flightdeck!!!

andy
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger68
Quote:
Steven Pacey himself proved to be an absolute gent, having met him recently at Star One I thought he was a thoroughly nice guy, and I think his lofty dis-interest and absent-mindedness towards Blake's 7 is a bit of an act, he can certainly remember an awful lot about a program he claims to have distanced himself from!

YES - "STEVEN" is a nice gent and, it's his birthday some time during this month - I, may not be a Tarrant but, strange how we're the same age!!!

Clanger68
Quote:
Tarrant was also a very good catalyst for the rest of the crew, bullying Vila, belittled by Avon, bewildered by Cally, bewitched by Soolin and bonked by Dayna!

Not, too mention what he got up to with dear old, down on Virn!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrant was a git alot of the time and thought he was in charge when he wasnt. I thought Steven Pacey was good playing him, but it was a character that was designed to annoy people and it worked Sometimes I thought Tarrant was alright and when I watched it the first time I like him and then when I saw them again, he annoyed me. I prefered him to Dayna tho for the replacements for season 3
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Didn't Like Him Really In Season 3, He Was Way to Schizophrenic...

But In Season 4 He Was Really Given Character & It Worked Really Well...
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clanger68 wrote:

And Befuddled By Blake
Simon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>CarnÚll< wrote:

I don't know, he seemed to sit back in the fourth series so that Avon could get on with it. I liked some of the stuff he did in the 3rd series - Powerplay was good.
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
>CarnÚll< wrote:

I don't know, he seemed to sit back in the fourth series so that Avon could get on with it. I liked some of the stuff he did in the 3rd series - Powerplay was good.

By This Time Avon Had Taken Old Wise Leader Roll... He Was Rarely Active, Most of The Time He Sat Back On The Liberator Planning...

Tarrant Took The Roll of Rebellious Hansom Daring Devil... The More Tradional Hero of Sci-fi/Fantasy...

Which Worked Great Cause He Wasn't The Main Star, Avon Was So Tarrant's Esipades Where Fun to Watch As Fillers For Our Main Hero
inge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrant in Powerplay was great, he was clever, devious and ruthless.
Had his character stayed that way it would have made for more interesting confrontations with Avon.
And he would not have been fooled by Blake's deviousness in the final episode.
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel like I should post my twopennorth here, despite the fact that I can't come up with anything concrete off the top of my head (it's been a few months since I watch s3 or 4).

I like Tarrant cos: he's Brave, Young and Handsome!

It's all about the pretty!

And Steven P is a really nice guy, having stalked, sorry, met him on several occasions.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip
Quote:
And Steven P is a really nice guy, having stalked, sorry, met him on several occasions.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: