Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D6: HEADHUNTER
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was good and we see both sides of Vila, the coward: when he hides in the closet, and the hero: when he clobbers Muller with the spanner.
Soolin also shows her worth as she lures the android away with orac.

Orac: Join us, Soolin, we can fulfil your every desire.
Soolin: You wouldn't know where to start.
kristin724

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this episode with my Dad tonight. Indeed This is a good one for Season 4. My dad seems to think Season 4 is very good, more sophisticated and psychological. I noticed in Headhunter Soolin wasn't so bad, and indeed the technological questions raised is intriguing.

Although they just happened to know there was a water plant on Zenon and the Hommiks were nowhere to be seen, I just like that fact that they changed there clothes!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious thing to say about this episode is that its an example of the Frankenstein complex - human beings undone by their own attempts to create life. The fact that the robot has no head seems to explicitly recall the Doctor Who story 'Brain of Morbius' which was also influenced by Mary Shelley's novel. The sight of the headless robot rampaging throughthe base isn't particullaly scary sadly, because the outfit its wearing is too colourful and soft for a supposed ruthless machine. The idea of the robot wearing the head of its creator is vaguelly reminiscent of the cyborg from the mad-as-a-mongoose 80's flick 'Saturn 3'

The running about the base is all standard SF stuff but is good fun to watch with all the regulars get a chance for a share of the action. Avon going off to change his outfit midway through shows just how self-obsessed he has become. Soolin is really beginning to shine - she's tough and funny in a way that Jenna and Cally never were.

Its strange that all of a sudden the war torn world of Xennon boasts an old hydro-electric station and a rather nice bridge (maybe Gunsar liked playing Pooh sticks with Nina in between challenges?).

The ending is a curious one. On the surface it would seem that the machine itself is the danger which is why Orac insists it must be destroyed. However, the limiter is now in place and, as we saw with the device installed into Orac to prevent his telepathy in Shadow, that would seem to be a sure way of preventing the robot from getting out of control.
So why is Orac still afraid? My guess is that Orac, who is a shrewd judge of character, is worried about Avon controlling the robot. Avon claims that he will use it as a weapon against the Fedration but in fact its more likely that he will just use it to kill or control anyone that gets in hisway. Dominance by the android would simply be replaced by dominance by Avon. Hence Orac taunting him by calling him 'Master'. The danger is not the machines butthe people that control them.

There might even be an implied parallel between the android and Avon - the machine who's consciounce can be turned on and off and the man who wants to be a machine and has deliberately turned of his consciounce.
inge

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Avon getting a little careless?
By allowing Muller's wife on to Xenon, is he showing that he can trust someone not to betray them to the Federation?
Later that trust is betrayed by Zukan in spades, when he plants the device to blow up the base.

At least he is not totally ruthless, as he insists on Orac reopening the teleport for Vila and Tarrant, in spite of the danger to the base and himself.
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good episode.
Liked Avon getting all angry with orac to reopen the teleports.
Probably Soolins first decent episode too, shes started to get decent lines
Orac - I can give you everything you desire
Soolin - You wouldnt know where to start
Dirty birdie!!!
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servalans Hair wrote:

Soolin - You wouldnt know where to start
Dirty birdie!!!

I can hink of a few places.

like this episode. the outtakes are great too where the bombs won't stick to the metal foot bridge and Josette Simon getting peed of because they won't. And the OXO lady looks nice in this episode too.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
boroboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:

The running about the base is all standard SF stuff but is good fun to watch with all the regulars get a chance for a share of the action. Avon going off to change his outfit midway through shows just how self-obsessed he has become. Soolin is really beginning to shine - she's tough and funny in a way that Jenna and Cally never were.

I like how Soolin gets developed here. She is, by a significant margin, the most reasonable character in the show at this point. If they had made more episodes I assumed that she would get fed up with the bumbling criminality of the rest of the gang and left them and gone on to great success at something else. She seemed very capable and smart here and in other episodes. She could have given up being a hired gun - unlike Vila (and the others to varying degrees) who are stuck being what they are.

Cockroach Boy wrote:

The ending is a curious one. On the surface it would seem that the machine itself is the danger which is why Orac insists it must be destroyed. However, the limiter is now in place and, as we saw with the device installed into Orac to prevent his telepathy in Shadow, that would seem to be a sure way of preventing the robot from getting out of control.
So why is Orac still afraid? My guess is that Orac, who is a shrewd judge of character, is worried about Avon controlling the robot. Avon claims that he will use it as a weapon against the Fedration but in fact its more likely that he will just use it to kill or control anyone that gets in hisway. Dominance by the android would simply be replaced by dominance by Avon. Hence Orac taunting him by calling him 'Master'. The danger is not the machines butthe people that control them.

I agree 100% with this assessment. And just so it doesn't seem like I ma just pointing out all of Avons, many, many, many faults () - I do like how he has grown as a character and will not let Orac kill his crewmates. He has come a long way from Seek-Locate-Destroy where there was no way he would take any risks to save Cally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: